RV Calypso

Visit site
Hi does anybody know of the currant status of the Calypso ? I've just started to re watch Jacque Cousteaus programs & I'm also building a R/C Calypso, soI would like to find out if anything has been done regarding her restoration. I can't seem to find any new news on the net. All information would be appreciated. Cheers Dan

Madeo

Visit site
Hi,

She's here in La Rochelle, in a disgusting state - there's lots of legal wrangles going on between 'la famille Cousteau' and his last wife about the fate of the boat. Don't know exactly where they're at, it got so complicated (and I got so wound upby the attitude of his wife!) that I stopped following it...

A couple of years or so ago, they came and shrink-wrapped the superstructure, I presume to protect it a bit, though some said it was to hold her together!!

She really is in a terrible state, but according to a report a few years ago on 'Thalassa' (a French TV programme about the sea) the hull is not too bad.

Next time I'm past there, I'll take some photos...

Visit site
Thanks for the info, I found a site that said that the "Blue Marlin" lift boat was going to lift her next week, but I think this might be old news that didn't come off. web site is called Ocean people.
If you get a chance I'd really like to see some photo's of her. I've just finised cutting out the hull of my Mini calypso.
It's really sad to think that such a famous ship could be left to get in such a state. Poor old Jacque would be most upst I'm sure!! Thanks again Dan.

canibul

Visit site
Hello Dan.
Are you interested in RC helicopters? I am a member of a pretty good forum for them, with quite a few Brit members.

Can send link if you are at all interested.
Byron

Visit site
Hi funny you should ask that, I used to have a couple of R/C helis, but never got around to learning to fly them. I have just brought a Dragon fly Hughs 300 off ebay, that I'm going to convert into the Calypso's heli. it's pretty good for the money.