Running off Batteries while Charging

WoodyP

Visit site
I have a simple boat which suits my simple mind. I don't have any on boat mains electric other than a camping unit to plug in with a 2 socket outlet and trip switch combined.

I use this on odd occasions with a Halfords charger, for charging batteries (2 x 120 amp on 1 - both - off switch), or running a fan heater.

Is there any reason why I cant leave the battery charger attached to the batteries while I run lights etc from the 12 volt system?
Thanks for your input, even if it is to confirm what I already know , that is that I know very little.

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
I have a simple boat which suits my simple mind. I don't have any on boat mains electric other than a camping unit to plug in with a 2 socket outlet and trip switch combined.

I use this on odd occasions with a Halfords charger, for charging batteries (2 x 120 amp on 1 - both - off switch), or running a fan heater.

Is there any reason why I cant leave the battery charger attached to the batteries while I run lights etc from the 12 volt system?
Thanks for your input, even if it is to confirm what I already know , that is that I know very little.

I've been running everything off the battery while it's connected to the charger, for years, with no problems. Halfords "Smart" charger. I wouldn't start the engine with batteries on charge, but the house battery was permanently connected to the charger on my last boat (same type of charger).

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
I use a camping thing from Go-Outdoors to run a fan heater, kettle and a decent battery charger. We are thinking of getting a toaster too 'cos we can't do toast on the Origo.

You should have no probs running the lights while charging the batteries.

I have upgraded from the Lidl 4 amp charger since we were once plugged in for 2 days before the 2x100amp batteries were charged.

I don't have a problem with starting the engine because I have always unplugged the 240V and put the lead away before I start it.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I've been running everything off the battery while it's connected to the charger, for years, with no problems. Halfords "Smart" charger. I wouldn't start the engine with batteries on charge, but the house battery was permanently connected to the charger on my last boat (same type of charger).

+1 to all that.

Don't leave the batteries on continuous charge when you're not onboard unless it is a Halfords smart charger. The ones they call maintenance chargers are not smart.

Richard

Halo

Visit site
If I run my fridge and lights whilst charging the battery loses reserves rather than gaining them. So the charger only slows things down.