Running for home

Zing

Visit site
I had two stints in their version of A&E. 13 hours on a trolley in a corridor first time. Sent me out after making an incision in my leg without anaesthetic and the wrong antibiotics. I was back five days later for a 12 hour stint on a trolley in a corridor before they
admitted me to a ward.
Not so good. It seems like they like to use the corridors a lot. I wonder where the wealthy residents of St Barts go if they were too sick for a 14 hr journey to a Paris hospital?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I had planned to sail to Portugal this year, not quite for a permanent move but to get a 5 year temporary residency while we're still in the Brexit transition period with a view to a more permanent move in a few more years time. I hope to still be able to do it...
Absolutely ditto. Fingers crossed.

- W

grandpaboat

Visit site
I had planned to sail to Portugal this year, not quite for a permanent move but to get a 5 year temporary residency while we're still in the Brexit transition period with a view to a more permanent move in a few more years time. I hope to still be able to do it...
My understanding is that for a UK boat to remain VAT paid in the EU it should have been in the EU on Brexit day. Otherwise it will only be allowed to stay in the EU for up to 18 months without having to pay VAT again. If so how will this affect your plans.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
My understanding is that for a UK boat to remain VAT paid in the EU it should have been in the EU on Brexit day. Otherwise it will only be allowed to stay in the EU for up to 18 months without having to pay VAT again. If so how will this affect your plans.
That's is how we understand is the case re VAT but nothing been seen officially.

grandpaboat

Visit site
That's is how we understand is the case re VAT but nothing been seen officially.
I thought so, however I was hoping someone would prove me wrong. Last year my plan was to nip over to Ireland at the end of the season to get the necessary VAT status. As Brexit got put back she got lifted out for the winter and therefore it wasn't convenient to action that plan for the eventual Brexit.

nortada

Visit site

Ref VAT, this is also our understanding but only time will tell. It should also be remembered that different EU countries may have a different take on this. We suspect Portugal could be very different to Spain, again only time will tell.

If you plan to spend time in Portugal, have you considered Portuguese residency, as a solution to the Schengen issues?

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
OP I'm a new liveabord and this is only putting slight dents in my plans, iv got the summer planned out to do all my welding and outside jobs, then well hopefully Portugal for 5 year residential status but I guess time will tell!

If anyone really wants an answer on vat on boats I can ask my friend he specializes in cross border VAT stuff ( thinking of this actually I might ask anyway for me!)

nortada

Visit site
OP I'm a new liveabord and this is only putting slight dents in my plans, iv got the summer planned out to do all my welding and outside jobs, then well hopefully Portugal for 5 year residential status but I guess time will tell!

If anyone really wants an answer on vat on boats I can ask my friend he specializes in cross border VAT stuff ( thinking of this actually I might ask anyway for me!)

With respect to your mate, I don’t think anybody knows future VAT stuff but you might consider getting a T2L (page 4).

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
With respect to your mate, I don’t think anybody knows future VAT stuff but you might consider getting a T2L (page 4).
No I do believe you are correct, I was more meaning that if anyone would have a good chance of knowing what to or indeed not to do it may be him ?

Thank you for the T2L google has enlightened me :) I may just be being simple but page 4 of? (Google didn't enlighten me that much)

dunedin

Visit site

From what I have read it is the end of Transition date that counts, currently expected to be 31 Dec 2020 (unless delayed by Covid). But not a lawyer and EC May change their mind.

V1701

Visit site
I've already got a T2L, you can get the form from the RYA if you're a member (which I happened to be this year due to having renewed my ICC/CEVNI) but if I can get my boat to Portugal before the end of this year (or the end of the Brexit transition period if they extend it) it's one less thing to sort out/worry about. If anyone wants to know what you have to put and in which fields on the T2L form give us a shout...