Running 12v from a generator

VicS

Visit site
I am sorry. You appeared to ask a very straightforward question to which the answer was either "yes" or "no".

the question was answered in the manual hence the reference to it.

RTFM is a standard internet response to questions to which the answer appears in the manual.
I find it helpful give the link because in their defence people often not have the manual, or it's on the boat and they are at home, and for your benefit I did so this time.
One of the Deputy Head Teachers at the school where I used to work always advised exam candidates to RTQ ... read the question ... in fact RTFQ ... read the full question .... so versions of the expression are all around! Nothing to get excited about.

It did not take a long time to get a simple answer It took precisely 30 minutes!

Sorry not clairvoyant I had no way of knowing you did not want a simple answer to a simple question but wanted a discussion of the various ways in which you could charge your batteries using a battery charger you did not even admit to owning initially.

Simple question asked. Simple asnwer given

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
Stu

I am looking at getting one of thsese genny things - can you run your calorifier from it as that's what swmbo wants when we are away from the marina

Tony

We have a motorhome with a 1200W water heater and heat water with a Honda 10 eu i - it just takes a bit longer to heat up.
This was discovered by accidently having the immersion switched on. Can anyone see a problem with this?

VicS

Visit site
The manual (qv) says:

Substantial overloading that continuously lights the overload
indicator light (red) may damage the generator. Marginal
overloading that temporarily lights the overload indicator light (red)
may shorten the service life of the generator.

It also says

The Output indicator (green) will remain ON during normal operating
conditions.
Stop the engine if the Overload indicator (red) comes ON and
investigate the overload source.
When an electric motor is started, both the Overload indicator (red)
and the Output indicator (green) may go on simultaneously. This is
normal if the Overload indicator (red) goes off after about five (5)
seconds. If the Overload indicator (red) stays on, consult your Honda
generator dealer.
If the generator is overloaded (in excess of 1.0 kVA), or if there is a
short in the connected appliance, the output indicator light (green) will
go OFF, the overload indicator light (red) will go ON and current to the
connected appliance will be shut off.
Before connecting an appliance to the generator, check that it is in
good order, and that its electrical rating does not exceed that of the
generator. Then connect the power cord of the appliance, and start
the engine.

From that one would have expected the supply to be cut off.

If you do not get the warnings above maybe OK but the only sound advice one can give based on the above is not to do it if the red warning comes on.

You could get a second 10 eu i and operate then with the parrlleling facility.

Heckler

Visit site
We have a motorhome with a 1200W water heater and heat water with a Honda 10 eu i - it just takes a bit longer to heat up.
This was discovered by accidently having the immersion switched on. Can anyone see a problem with this?
Not a prob really, if the genny drives it ok, what I have found is that if I overload my genny by accident, then the over load cut out stops the production of electricity, the engine drops to tickover and a red light comes on. I have to then shut down the genny and restart it to reset the overload. Honda, being a mainstream producer, would I imagine have a similar system in place.
The prob with the forum sometimes is that someone asks a simple question, perhaps not phrased elegantly enough, gets a simple answer to that question, again perhaps not answered elegantly enough, and then the teeth suckers/pedants jump in. You know the type, down at the club, ask a simple question, get a simple reply and they cant help themselves, "Ahh BUT" (and they always have a but!) and then an intake of breath as they suck backwards thru their teeth, and you know, you just know, there is going to come a pedantic diatribe that will attempt to prove the answer that some one has just given you, WRONG!!!
Stu

pheran

Visit site
Just to extend this discussion a little, I notice my portable genny has a terminal to which an earth wire can be connected. When using the genny, plugged into the normal shore-power socket on the boat, should the generator be 'properly' earthed ie by connecting this terminal to an earth spike driven into the ground? If the answer is YES how should the genny be earthed when used away from land?

ps my manual doesn't even mention the earth terminal!!

VicS

Visit site
Yes that should be connected to an earth spike ... but I wonder how many bother.

On the boat you need a longer cable to reach the seabed .. its diving to bang in a new earth spike evry time you move that is the problem :D

No seriously on the boat it should be connected to the boats earthing system but if you are connecting the genny up via your shore power system and that is bonded to Dc negative and the ships earth as it should be then there is no need.

It would be worth while checking that the neutral is actually earthed at the genny

What is it? can we find a manual on line?

pheran

Visit site
What is it? can we find a manual on line?
An old Kawasaki, rated at 1000w that I bought many years ago but I doubt that its done 25 hours running in its whole life. Just thought it was a good idea at the time!. I agree, diving down to move the earth spike could prove to be a bit of a bugger but thanks for the advice so far.:)

VicS

Visit site
a Quick look for manuals found nothing.

I'd check two things. That the earth connection on the 230volt output is connected to the earth terminal. That the neutral on the output is connected to earth, ie really is a neutral.

I'm not actually certain that the neutral is earthed on the Honda.. In fact I think it isn't so perhaps that's not necessary.