Rules of racing

ifoxwell

Visit site
I guess now that we have completed another Olympic cycle that the rules will have been tweaked again.

Is this the case and if so can some one summarize the changes that matter for those of us that know little more than port/starboard , windward/leeward.

Ta

Ian

flaming

Visit site
I guess now that we have completed another Olympic cycle that the rules will have been tweaked again.

Is this the case and if so can some one summarize the changes that matter for those of us that know little more than port/starboard , windward/leeward.

Ta

Ian

Yes.

Study version of the new rules is here.

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/StudyVersionoftheRacingRulesfor20172020Final-[13380].pdf

In short, nothing really changes for the club racer. A lot of the changes are housekeeping. Only a few things worth mentioning at all, which are -

You can now be DSQ if you break rule 14 whilst not racing (So before your prep signal or after finishing). Sensible in my opinion, as it was always a trifle perverse that an at fault boat in a major collision in the pre-start had no action taken against them if the other boat was too damaged to race.

There's a minor change to rule 18 - but in essence it changes nothing in normal circumstances. Only issue a club racer might have is if you tack in the zone you no longer have mark room. In practice that's no change at windward marks, but be slightly careful at leeward marks if you round up and miss the mark - tacking to get back to the mark now means you have no rights over the following boats.
Rule 19, small edit, clarifies that rule 18 takes precedence when boats are simultaneously bound by both rules.
Rule 20 small change, unlikely to be of any interest to club racers
Rule 22.3 - clarifying that if you are backing a sail you must keep clear of anyone who isn't, regardless of whether your boat is going backwards or sideways.
24.2 - Whilst boats taking penalties or returning after being OCS are keep clear boats you cannot deliberately hunt them, and you are only protected if you are sailing your proper course. So if your main opposition was OCS, you cannot go and mess with them to prevent them from returning, you can only sail your proper course. Sensible I think.
Rule 40 - When Y is flown ashore personal buoyancy must be worn at all times whilst afloat, not just during racing.

So nothing that really changes the game at all.

TallBuoy

Visit site
They have also introduced the U-flag as a Prep signal as 30.3, and moved the black flag to 30.4.

This is a good thing because it has been quite common practice for a little while, I believe.

It is basically the same as a BFD unless the race is restarted e.g. due to a general recall, or is retailed after an abandonment.

st599

Visit site
I think the main change that will affect most club racing is the one that changes coverage to boat crew and supporters. So every time Soccer Mom/Dad mouths off to the RO, then little Jonny can be DSQ.