rudder balance

joeh

Visit site
can anyone tell how to test if a rudder is balanced. i have removed the rudder n it can be laid flat. the axis of rotation is known. thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chippie

Visit site
The term 'rudder balance' usually refers to the relationship between the main part of the rudder that is behind the rudderstock or pivot axis and the smaller amount that lies in front of the pivot axis. The forward area is smaller but acts as a servo when the rudder is turned as a small amount of force is directed to help the rudder turn.
I cant remember exact figures but think it is not usually more than 15% .
The effect is illustrated when turning the rudder in reverse when the tiller comes across with a bang as the water grabs the much bigger leverage of the main part of the rudder blade.

I hope this is of some help.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day joeh,

The area in front of the axis should be 12% of the total, this will provide lighter steering and still give you feedback when beating to windward.

I Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

joeh

Visit site
thanks guys
but perhaps i shld clarify:
what you have described is a normal partially balanced main rudder. i am having the auxilliary rudder ( self made) of an old hydrovane( windvane ) that is required to be balanced ( according to manufacturer"s website).
i just want to know if what i have made is balanced or how much not so.
thks.

<hr width=100% size=1>