Rubbish Zodiac rowlocks replacement?

rex

Visit site
I am now on the third design of rowlock for my Zodiac Cadet FR310 airdeck dinghy. The originals were all plastic pins which bent then snapped off. Zodiac redesigned them with a metal reinforcement in the pin which didn't bend, it just snapped. The latest ones are a big, beefy stainless steel pin which is unbreakable. Sadly the Zodiac "engineers" fixed it to the plastic rowlock with a little screw that tears the plastic! I have found other posts and it appears Zodiac are not interested and don't care that they make a totally unseaworthy and dangerous boat that is not fit to use on a duck pond. I obviously woldn't buy a Zodiac but this came as a tender with the boat and I wonder if others have managed to modify them to make them useable. Or are they just suitable for filling with water and using as a paddling pool for the kids. Having nearly been blown out to see whilst rowing in ever decreasing circles I won't be using it as a tender again unless there is a cunning solution. Many thanks 🙂

Supertramp

Visit site
Same concern. I am at stage 2 and I agree about the design. Above F4 I am trapped on board unless I use a motor!

If my dinghy lasts (and it's doing OK at over 20 years), I would remove and add Avon rowlocks, gluing the hypalon/rubber to primed pvc.

But at £100 for the rowlocks, £35 for the glues plus sourcing a pair of proper oars I will probably buy an Avon with the proper rowlocks.

billyfish

Visit site
Oh my word. I always wanted a zodiac when I got one I couldn't believe how shit the rolocks were. I changed mine several times as they broke. Sorry no solution I went back to a trusty avon Redcrest which I had for years and have just upgraded to a avon 250 air floor and it's brilliant . Avon redcrest for sale 🫡🫡🫡

Stemar

Visit site
This is exactly why I didn't get another Zodiac when the first one came to its end, and one of the things that persuaded me that it was at its end. Unfortunately, I got an Excel, largely because of the light weight, but the towing eyes and bow handle attachments were far too weak, tearing within a couple of years.

lustyd

Visit site
I wonder if they expect everybody to use a motor?
If that was the only issue with Zodiacs I’d agree but far from it. I think they expect people to just look at them on davits or on the swim platform of large motor yachts.
That’s assuming the unsuspecting owners manage to blow the bl***y thing up with their utterly stupid valves, of course.

neil_s

Visit site
It's quite a few years ago now, but I shortened a pair of standard galvanised rowlocks to fit the sockets on the Zodiac I owned then. Also used a pair of real oars. It really zipped along! I have done the same on the old Redcrest I have now.

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
Same issue here. My solution has been in place for a few years now and so far so good, I can row in a strong wind:). A number of years ago, an engineering pal made new collars out of stainless steel. I am not at the boat just now, but these may slide/fit over the plastic ones, will have to take a closer look. I also regularly replace the screws which go into the pin which bend over time, I use hex head A4, its easier to tighten up with an allen key. My latest preventative maintenance was to recently order and fit new aluminium tubes (my only mistake was that I am not sure if they are anodised or not). The new tubes are at least double the wall thickness of the originals. I will try to remember to take and post some photos when at the boat at the weekend.

lektran

Visit site
I've recently ordered stainless steel push button clips to replace the rusty ones that connect the plastic blade to the oar.

They were sold in packs of 8 so I have six to spare, if anyone wants a free pair send me a message and you can pick them up from me at Haslar.

Stemar

Visit site
What's more rewarding than rowing an inflatable dinghy to the pub?
Rowing one of these to the pub?

Heyland-Duchess-Rowing-Boat-2022.jpg

No, I haven't got one, I have to put up with rowing a horrible flubber, which is why I use the outboard far more than I like.

Other threads that may be of interest