Royal sailing

tcm

Visit site
I wonder if the royals's interest in sailing could -or should- be rekindled?

George V was quite a sailor, and so for the megarich the world over who might want to meet royalty (and they all do) sailing was one of the things to do. Magnificent yachts were built, and there was a "can do" attitude for sailing, facilities, sailing clubs and the like. Previous royals have taken and interest in art (buying it, as George 4th not just hording old stuff) or in motorcars (edward 6th)
These days, our royals only watch horse racing, and that's that. How very dull.

halcyon

Visit site
Don't I remember they used to race at Cowes week with Uffer (?) Fox, Britannia moored roads. When the museum opens at Falmouth you can see one of there old yachts.

Brian

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Prince Philip was a personal mate (as opposed to an aquaintance) of Uffa Fox and sailed with him in a Dragon called Bluebottle and a Flying 15 called Coweslip. The friendship apparently withstood Uffa putting a whoopee cushion on the Queen's seat at dinner! He owned the big Nicholson ocean racer Bloodhound and raced her in RORC events for a few years, but the Press spoiled it by always hanging round. Until very recently he would sail in Cowes Week on friends' boats.

yoda

Visit site
Of the 'younger' Royals only Ann appears to show much interest in sailing. I don't know if she still has her yacht (a rustler or rivel 36 I think) but the others seem uninterested in the sport. Up to them I suppose, my sibblings don't show any interest in it either. The shame of it is that they were hounded into giving up big boat ownership by the anti-royal press campaign. Until reacently Prince Phillip sailed on Yeoman at COwes week but watching him walk reacently suspect that a hip replacement is pending and probably stopping him sailing. A pity because Uffa was said to have rated him quite highly as a helm which is praise indeed. Perhaps now Edward is giving up work and has some more time he may start to sail.

Yoda

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Rustler

Yes she does still have it; I was at a function recently where the subject turned to sailing, and it quickly became clear that (a) she is keen and (b) she sails a lot and knows her stuff. I hope the press leave her alone, unlike her father, when sailing. Suspect you are right about the hip replacement.

G

Way back when Long John Silver had 2 legs I had the good fortune to borrow a RNSA 14ft dinghy belonging to HRH Prince Philip. Her sail no was RN1 and her name was Kiwi. She was a wedding present from the people of New Zealand, I believe. She was at a shore establishment called Warfleet, I think, at Botley. Hampshire.
Princess Royal still does a bit of sailing when time allows, and has a serious interest in the RYA as well as Chay Blyth's company. I attended the namimg ceremony she carried out for him at Devonport some years ago.