Routing Software

Dino

Visit site
Hi, can anyone recommend some free or cheap routing software for offshore racing? Saw someone using SailGrib on an Android tablet at the weekend and it looked good. Is there an alternative for iOS?

Laser310

Visit site
There is an iOS version of LuckGrib

LuckGrib has a pretty good routing engine - maybe more for cruisers than racers though.

it is also a pretty good grib viewer

it is not a full featured navigation program with charts, waypoints etc.

I use Expedition on Win 10 - it's great but not what you are looking for.

Laser310

Visit site
I bought sailgrib in the autumn with a cheap samsung tablet and I really like it. Sorry, can't comment on others. I'm pretty sure Pip Hare did a review of quite a few programs a while ago. Yes, here it is

Pip Hare tests 5 weather routeing programs – Yachting World

Expedition and Adrena (which it appears was not tested) are the only choice for serious racing boats

Her review is more focused on simple to use programs for cruisers.

Expedition and Adrena both require a huge time commitment to learn how to use them and get the most out of them.

As a very experienced expedition user, having used it for distance and round the cans racing over the last 10 or 12 years, i can say that it's capabilities are enormous.

It's a huge topic.., but I will just say that I don't use expedition to find the optimum route for me..., i use it to conduct experiments - often many experiments.., that help me understand (in any particular race) how different factors will affect the best route.., so that I can better respond to changes in the forecast and observations i make on the course.., during the race.

Expedition offers tremendous flexibility in modifying the inputs to optimal routing.., which greatly facilitates its use as a tool for experimenting.

Then, there is its highly advanced tool set for W/L racing...

One thing about short-handed sailors - they tend not to spend a lot of time on navigation - they have more important things to do.., like sailing the boat fast.., and sleeping.

also, some of these big short-handed ocean races severely limit the weather information that can be used during the race - which simplifies things.

Dino

Visit site
Thanks folks, will have a look at some of them. I think Expedition is probably not ideal as the race is in a few weeks. I tried the trial for Savvy Navvy and the routing is very poor.