Round the Island race for idiots

lw395

Visit site
So, the RRS has big differences from colregs, and there is no 'overtaking boat keeps clear' rule. You may need to keep clear of boats overtaking you.
There is of course
14 AVOIDING CONTACT
A boat shall avoid contact with another boat if reasonably possible.
However, a right-of-way boat or one entitled to room or mark-room
(a) need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat
is not keeping clear or giving room or mark-room, and
(b) shall be exonerated if she breaks this rule and the contact does
not cause damage or injury

westhinder

Visit site
So, the RRS has big differences from colregs, and there is no 'overtaking boat keeps clear' rule. You may need to keep clear of boats overtaking you.
There is of course
14 AVOIDING CONTACT
A boat shall avoid contact with another boat if reasonably possible.
However, a right-of-way boat or one entitled to room or mark-room
(a) need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat
is not keeping clear or giving room or mark-room, and
(b) shall be exonerated if she breaks this rule and the contact does
not cause damage or injury
Not being a racer myself, I can’t help thinking that rule should be simplified:
A boat shall avoid contact. Full stop.

Iain C

Visit site

As conversely you may have rights to luff that boat off the course if you so wish! I'm not arguing with you, I'm agreeing with you. Look, as long as people understand that you can't go through the fleet expecting boats clear ahead to get out of your way, we're all good.

lpdsn

Visit site
Not being a racer myself, I can’t help thinking that rule should be simplified:
A boat shall avoid contact. Full stop.

No. It's a last resort to minimise damage and injuries if the keep clear boat messes up. Otherwise, with your idea, it would become a bullies' charter and pretty much ruin racing.

RobbieW

Visit site
No. It's a last resort to minimise damage and injuries if the keep clear boat messes up. Otherwise, with your idea, it would become a bullies' charter and pretty much ruin racing.

Quite so, during one RtI we called starboard on a boat along Cowes Green. His reply was 'dont want to' - but I suppose we wanted to be where he was :)

lw395

Visit site
So first and foremost you must establish that the other boat is racing. (Unlikely to be a problem on RTIR day though.)

Good point. Anyone with a class penant on the backstay will be subject to racing rules, they apply before and after the race.

GrahamD

Visit site
As you seem to be aiming to participate rather than going for a top result my RTIR survival guide would include.

1. Don't start close to the Island. There is a big tidal advantage close in on "the Green" and there will be lots of keen boats there. If it is a windward start you can have real difficulty getting back out on port because of all the starboard tackers. Starting out by the ODM gives you a good reference point of the position of the line.
2. Make sure you always have someone good on mainsheet. They are effectively steering the boat upwind. Keep eyes out of the boat so you know what is coming
3. Carry out manoeuvres such as ducking a boat on starboard early and make it obvious to others. Make eye contact with the other skippers/tacticians/crew so you know you have been seen.
4. Downwind, boats sail at all different angles (symmetrical, assymetric kites etc). Factor this is when anticipating close quarter situations- respond early
5. Look for clear lanes and clean air - avoid getting into a bunch of boats whenever possible. It can sometimes be advantageous to slow down a bit to avoid a difficult situation
6. Practice basic manoeuvres and sail handling so your crew know what they are doing, and learn the basic rules.
7. Get someone on board who has done it before as helm, tactician or mainsheet

It's a great race and is a lot of fun. Whilst there are always occasional collisions the vast majority go round without incident