Rope coiling article in YM

Ceejay

Visit site
I've taken a passing interest in the recent discussions about whether the yachting mags are currently worth the money, given the dubious value of some of their content. I was undecided as to my own opinion as, on balance, I generally find something of interest in among the more banal offerings.
However, I really couldn't believe what I was seeing as I looked at Tom Cunliffe's article titled "Taming your ropes".
Seven pages of stating the blooming obvious or what, to put it politely.
Is the revered Tom running out of ideas I ask? Is it time he took some time out looking for fresh inspiration or has he perhaps written everything that can be written on the subject of ships and the sea?
CJ

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I've not seen the article, but there are lots who don't know when to coil and when to flake, which way to coil rope w.r.t lay of rope, which end to start coiling from, how to make off a coiled rope.

Note to me: I must write a book on it this week-end /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ceejay

Visit site
Point taken, but there are 7 pages with not much content. It could have been condensed into a much shorter piece - IMO
CJ

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
It was the survey of kettles a few months ago that really made me despair with YM. Surely they can do better than that!

[/ QUOTE ]

A survey of pots & pans? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woodlouse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It was the survey of kettles a few months ago that really made me despair with YM. Surely they can do better than that!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think they equalled that in the same article when they surveyed toasters.

I'm sticking to Yachting World. I don't need magazines that tie you to earth like that.

Judders

Visit site
In fairness, YM should not be aimed purely at the relatively experienced yachtie but at newcomers as well.

But on the subject of repitition, is the A-Z of second hand boats any different to that which was in the first YM I bought which was, ironically enough, oboard the Pride of Bilbao on my way from le Harve to Pompey in March 2004.

Ceejay

Visit site
I'm not a dogmatic sort of person and I've no doubt Mr Cs methods are workable and sound. If I am being honest most of what he wrote coincides with the way I do it.
There's generally more than one way to skin a cat though, which means that Mr Cs way isn't necessarily the only way.
On reflection I don't remember ever pursuing a course of study in rope work. I guess I just worked it out for myself over the years, from what worked and what didn't, starting in the school sailing club 42 years ago.
CJ

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
"Seven pages of stating the blooming obvious or what, to put it politely. "

I haven't read the article, but from observation I would say that 75% of boat users don't know efficient or safe ways of coiling/flaking ropes. (And that observation could be of 100+ boat movements a day through a marine lock)

sky7liner

Visit site
So all you salty old sea-dogs know how to coil a rope. Doesn't it occur to you that every year loads of people start yachting and some have never been on a boat before? If you know everything why bother to buy any magazine, book or DVD?

And somebody remembers seeing articles about used boats 4 years ago. Maybe the prices have changed in that time. Maybe some boats qualify for inclusion now that didn't qualify 4 years ago. Maybe, perish the thought, there are readers now who weren't buying the magazine 4 years ago?

One of the perennial problems for editors of magazines that cover hobbies is that they have to cater for everybody from the beginner to the irascible old so and so who has been everywhere and done everything.

db631018

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Surely they can do better than that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Time for a 'law for yachtsmen' article.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have such a riveting forum we can produce two pages of posts about other people talking crap!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Parsonsheath

Visit site
No, that is far more technical, since there are only two types of rollholders!

Actually, I am an utter klux, so found the article good, it may state the "bl88ding obvious" to a lot out there, but helped me, and as I am a newcomer of some 30 0dd years to sail boat, there may be a larger audience out there!

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
if you know so much why buy the magazine?

oh you don't know how to get into the lesser known parts of brittany,
oh shame on you?

the same applies. YM HAS to be there for newbies. be it coil a rope or enter le havre.

just because an article is not aimed at you does not make it any less valid

Strathglass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

But on the subject of repitition, is the A-Z of second hand boats any different to that which was in the first YM I bought which was, ironically enough, oboard the Pride of Bilbao on my way from le Harve to Pompey in March 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can see it is identical. When I enquired the first time round about a particulass class being omitted I was told 'We can't cover everything'
If they had changed some of the selection the second time around. It is just a 'repost' certainly cuts editorial costs down.

Iain