Roof lining

ifoxwell

Visit site
So I've just removed our roof lining to find a water leak and I'm loath to put it back up.

Its the standard plywood covered in foam backed vinyl.

What are my options and does any one have any recommendations?

Ian

sarabande

Visit site
Having fixed the leak, consider carpet tiles. Easy to shape and fix, they improve insulation and make the boat sound much quieter down below.

ifoxwell

Visit site
Having fixed the leak, consider carpet tiles. Easy to shape and fix, they improve insulation and make the boat sound much quieter down below.

Interesting idea, I had wondered about the affect any changes that I might make would have on the the acoustics.

ballyabroad

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire
Visit site
I've used this stuff for the last 12 months. Very easy to fit as it stretches and masks imperfections etc. You also get the benefit of an out of body experience if using the spray adhesive in a confined space! A bit too surreal when applying in the quarter berth.

I just scraped off the old vinyl foam, left the old glue on the plyboard and merrily sprayed away with the adhesive. No sign of anything falling off yet and all looks pretty smart.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-camper...tch-includes-trimfix-spray-glue-/320965717945

Lighter than carpet tiles as well.

ifoxwell

Visit site
I've used this stuff for the last 12 months. Very easy to fit as it stretches and masks imperfections etc. You also get the benefit of an out of body experience if using the spray adhesive in a confined space! A bit too surreal when applying in the quarter berth.

I just scraped off the old vinyl foam, left the old glue on the plyboard and merrily sprayed away with the adhesive. No sign of anything falling off yet and all looks pretty smart.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-camper...tch-includes-trimfix-spray-glue-/320965717945

Lighter than carpet tiles as well.

I like the sound of that, thanks I'll take a look

Serin

Visit site

Or, even better, cork tiles. That's what we used when we fitted out our boat. Cork tiles, stick on with contact adhesive, seams filled with flexible filler and painted with vinyl paint - white, so it's all nice and light. And they easily go around curves.

Excellent insulation - we have never had condensation problems. If you need to work on a deck fitting bolted through the deckhead (no inverted commas - that's what it's called) you just cut around it, then replace or cut a new disc, glue it in, fill and paint. If it gets any stain or mildew, or needs freshening up, re-painting couldn't be easier. And it stays in place. Most of our deckhead cork tiles have been in place, without any maintenance, for around 37 years. If it does come unglued anywhere (possible over the galley, because of the heat) it's easy to make a couple of slits to insert glue and stick back up again, or replace - couldn't be easier.

I've never seen another boat with this kind of cork tiling, but as far as I am concerned I think it's a success. Much more versatile than carpet tiles and much easier to keep clean. And if you take a notion for a purple deckhead, or a turquoise one, all it takes is a can of paint.