Roller Reefing line diameter

rajjes

Visit site
Anyone knows what is the recommended line diameter for the roller reefing drum on a plastimo 608 roller reefing?

I would prefer 8mm for comfort but not sure if this would be too big for the drum. Its on an 8m boat.

S

Skyva_2

This is easy to get wrong. I use 8mm line on a Plastimo for a 43 ft boat and have had problems with the bulk of line. Lines can also vary in softness. If possible test with an old line before buying.

TiggerToo

Visit site
someone recommended removing the inner braid of a thicker line for part of the length (I don't recall who much), so that the roll at the reefing would be slimmer, but the bit that you handle thick enough for comfort. I reckon it is an idea to consider should you have problems. Bear in mind that if you are having to pull the line at tensions which even remotely approach the line's safe SWL, then you are highly likely to damage the forestay and reefing foil.

tomainsley

Visit site
tiggertoo's right. You should core about half the line (i.e. milk it and get rid of half the length of the inner braid) and then it will fit nicely on your drum and require little effort to get in or out. I use a cored 6mm on mine and there's no discomfort to hands, i'm sure it would work well with an 8mm.

Poignard

Visit site
Another owner of a Twister lent me such a line last year and it worked very well.

Memo: must give it back to him and make my own /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Strathglass

Visit site
On the 1210T Plastimo specifically state that 8mm rope should be used.

You should be able to find the fitting instructions on line for the 608. I would be surprised if they don't quote the line size there.

I am going to the rope for my reefing on Sunday at the Troon boat jumble. If I find it at the right price.

It was difficult to find the length required as the mast has not been stepped yet. I ended up by winding 8mm 3 strand nylon round the drum and by adding the length of that rope that to the length of the boat I arrived at 33 metres. Seems a lot but I will always find a use for any excess, better too long than too short.

Iain

lw395

Visit site
It's worth making sure it's not too long, if there is too much on the drum, jams can occur more easily. I found out the hard way that when broad reaching in a rolling sea, the turns on the drum can slacken and form a clove hitch or six! Memo to self: Always keep a little tension on the reefing line.
It also helps to make sure the line winds onto the drum nicely, harken recommend a ratchet block to provide a little drag on the line as the sail rolls out.

alec

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
someone recommended removing the inner braid of a thicker line for part of the length (I don't recall who much), so that the roll at the reefing would be slimmer, but the bit that you handle thick enough for comfort. I reckon it is an idea to consider should you have problems. Bear in mind that if you are having to pull the line at tensions which even remotely approach the line's safe SWL, then you are highly likely to damage the forestay and reefing foil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find double braid kinder on the hands.

I purchased some 'fender rope' , which as you mention, has the innards taken out and works ok ( for fenders) .

The chap selling it mentioned that it would be good for furling gear but not tried it myself.

lw395

Visit site
If you taper the rope, the length to make thinner is back to the first point where you handle it or it goes in a clutch.

cpedw

Visit site
How difficult is it to extract the core from half the length? Do you unpick the outer at the halfway point, cut the inner then relay the outer and pull?
It sounds too straightforward. Any hints?
Thanks,
Derek

Refueler

Visit site
Guy before me had a furling line on the 609 ... when I unrolled the genny - it came to end of line and genny still partly furled. Turned out line was ~ 1m too short.

6mm soft multiplait is what I use ... and when I replaced his I added not 1m but 2m. Why ? Because often when people unfurl in a hurry they don't "hold back" the furling line to roll nicely onto drum - then even that extra 1m can be lost.

Leighb

Visit site
Interesting that it is the core being removed to taper the rope.

I had a tapered line made by RigMagic for the reefing drum on my main last year and they removed the outer and tapered the end of the outer to the inner.

This works well as there is only room for 4mm line on the drum, and it was hell on the hands.

Refueler

Visit site
A lot of sheathed cordage - the inner gives it the strength, the outer the resistance to abrasion. Cheaper rope of course - stuff we would never use ( /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) often has the inner as non-interwoven or non-braided strip-line - the outer then providing a holding service keeping it together.

So in fact to retain max strength in a line such as we are discussing - yes the inner is the required cordage. But as another says - if you approach SWL of the cordage - then there's something seriously wrong with your gear.

Topcat47

Visit site
I've done that. A very good solution. The braid is strong enough to operate the reefing and the rope ineer gives a good feel for handling.