Rocna Anchors acquired by Canada Metal Pacific

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
PS My Rocna 33 rusted before ever going into the water. This was a galvanizing defect that QA inspections did not find. It has been replaced since. I did pay for a bisplate anchor and did not get one. This and the presumed RINA cert is what caused me to purchase a Rocna.
My Rocna 15Kg bought in 2008 also rusted badly in the first year of use where it lightly impacted against the pulpit on retrieval. I subsequently found that the galvanising had no zinc-steel bonding whatsoever but flaked off like poorly-applied grey paint. Rocna ignored my complaints until I posted here, then offered to pay for re-galvanising. I was faintly miffed about not getting a new anchor but now I know I had the best deal as Grant King informed me that my anchor was a NZ-produced one.

It has performed well since with no further rusting - and it only cost Hold Fast Anchors 20 euros for the re-galvanising as it was delivered and collected to and from the factory here in Italy at no cost to them.

GrantKing

Visit site
My Rocna 15Kg bought in 2008 also rusted badly in the first year of use where it lightly impacted against the pulpit on retrieval. I subsequently found that the galvanising had no zinc-steel bonding whatsoever but flaked off like poorly-applied grey paint. Rocna ignored my complaints until I posted here, then offered to pay for re-galvanising. I was faintly miffed about not getting a new anchor but now I know I had the best deal as Grant King informed me that my anchor was a NZ-produced one.

It has performed well since with no further rusting - and it only cost Hold Fast Anchors 20 euros for the re-galvanising as it was delivered and collected to and from the factory here in Italy at no cost to them.

Lucky for you I didn't get it replaced at the time ;)

RocnaONE

www.rocna.com
broadband outage

Apologies, we have lost broadband due to backhoe action. I am posting on something which closely resembles Prestel from the LIbrary.

BT is on the case......:)

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Apologies, we have lost broadband due to backhoe action. I am posting on something which closely resembles Prestel from the LIbrary.

BT is on the case......:)

Half the UK seems to have lost broadband yesterday due to a BT foul-up in Birmingham!

I'm back online at work but still no connection at home. Just spent 15 minutes hanging on for Bangalore but they say they can't help unless I'm sitiing at home! Jeez!

Richard

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
The UK Distributors have been very helpful to me.

It seems my anchor is Q620, and CMP will be making all their new anchors from Q620 anyway, so it seems silly to want to change!

Peter Smith says Q620 meets his specs although it might be a tad less than 690MPa.

Seems simple to me. Have I missed anything?

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Didn't the Rocna website used to say that 800/BISPLATE 80 was essential?

Can we see the full set of calcs showing that 620 is "good enough"?

Heckler

Visit site
Backhoe is an Americanism that I learned whilst working in the oilfield. Would it be fair to say that you are a North American

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Here's what Peter Smith says.

What a mealy-mouthed attempt to pull the wool. Appalling.

"published commentary based primarily on input originating from embittered former Rocna employee Grant King and Rocna competitor Manson Marine" = Rocna still don't get it.

Last edited:
Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
skipper_stu[CENTER said:
;3159387]Backhoe is an Americanism that I learned whilst working in the oilfield. Would it be fair to say that you are a North American

index-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 36384

Backhoe we make ur ancurs strong from grid irn.

lwatson

Visit site
Rocna

I think Delfin is trying to blow smoke up our backsides. True some of the anchors were made with a lower grade of steel and these truely do not meet specs and MAY be unsafe in the ultimate blow. I have one and it is going to be replaced, Rocna or Manson I am not sure yet, I will probably make up my mind when I walk into West Marine with my "Locna". In the tests published it does show that there is an advantage in holding power of the Rocna over the Manson, I did not see anywhere that these tests were paid for by Rocna or any other manufacturer. In fact, the latest PBO shows that the Spade is the most efficient and Rocna second by a hair and Manson a little further back of them.
In regards to the steel used the 620 mpa is close to the 690 mpa as advertised, probably 10% or less in yield strength. Please do not confuse the hardness test with tensile strength as this only serves to muddy the waters. The 800 is the ultimate tensile strength not the yield strength and the 690 mpa is sometimes called an "800" grade.
The designer states that the 620 mpa grade is within his design criteria and that it is classed as a high tensile steel, about 3 times as strong as mild steel.
Since all the hyperventilating seems to subsiding perhaps we can have some sanity on the anchor debate and people can quit grinding their own ax.

Visit site
What a mealy-mouthed attempt to pull the wool. Appalling.

"published commentary based primarily on input originating from embittered former Rocna employee Grant King and Rocna competitor Manson Marine" = Rocna still don't get it.

I can't read what Smith is saying because it just comes up with an error message. However, if they are still coming out with that kind of drivel, I don't really want to waste my time on it. Neither GK nor Manson have been shown to be deceiving the boating fraternity...Rocna has. The Smiths attitude to Manson is a matter of record; sour grapes is the most generous way of describing it.

The Smiths have spent years boasting and telling us about the superior specification of their product. We were told that the high spec was essential for the weight distribution of the anchor. We were told how it would withstand the most arduous conditions and that, though it was expensive to produce, they would not compromise on their quality. Suddenly all that has gone by the wayside. A lower grade material is fine, fit for purpose, etc etc.

It is just possible that the original spec was a case of over engineering. If that is the case then they need to say that they were wrong all along..........but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Smith Jnr, the self proclaimed anchorsmith, to say he was wrong!:eek:

It is also possible that the appeal of a lower spec. material has something to do with lower manufacturing costs. Not only will the material cost be reduced, but the machining, welding and galvanising costs will all be reduced making for a very interesting increase in profit. Perhaps that is why the Smiths are happy to do an about turn on everything which they have said in the past?....I've certainly seen no mention of price reductions going along with the reduced costs.

Delfin

Visit site
I think Delfin is trying to blow smoke up our backsides. True some of the anchors were made with a lower grade of steel and these truely do not meet specs and MAY be unsafe in the ultimate blow. I have one and it is going to be replaced, Rocna or Manson I am not sure yet, I will probably make up my mind when I walk into West Marine with my "Locna". In the tests published it does show that there is an advantage in holding power of the Rocna over the Manson, I did not see anywhere that these tests were paid for by Rocna or any other manufacturer. In fact, the latest PBO shows that the Spade is the most efficient and Rocna second by a hair and Manson a little further back of them.
In regards to the steel used the 620 mpa is close to the 690 mpa as advertised, probably 10% or less in yield strength. Please do not confuse the hardness test with tensile strength as this only serves to muddy the waters. The 800 is the ultimate tensile strength not the yield strength and the 690 mpa is sometimes called an "800" grade.
The designer states that the 620 mpa grade is within his design criteria and that it is classed as a high tensile steel, about 3 times as strong as mild steel.
Since all the hyperventilating seems to subsiding perhaps we can have some sanity on the anchor debate and people can quit grinding their own ax.
The only ax I have to grind is an objection to manufacturers engaging in systematic deception in order to sell product to those who trust they are not lying. I would presume CPM to be ethical where the Bamburys were not and hope they can recover the integrity of the brand. However, it is not a good sign that they appear to be promoting the silly straight pull testing done by Bambury and touting that as having relevance to the question of whether the shanks on their anchors will bend in a side load.

As far as the grade of steel used in Chinese made anchors, I'll defer to Grant King who has the data. If I'm incorrect that all of these anchors contains steel less than 690 mpa yield, he can correct me since he knows. Do you?

Regarding 620 mpa steel being "close" to 690 steel that isn't going to be much comfort to purchasers of the product since the designer indicated that "close" was inadequate given the design of the anchor. While we're clearing smoke out of the room, the specification was for the use of 800 mpa uts steel, which has a minimum yield of 690 mpa and a typical yield of 750 mpa. In safety equipment, I'm not sure what the concept of "close enough" means when the designer has clearly stated what the minimum standard is. The fact that they may be tap dancing and pretending Peter Smith never said what he said doesn't change the necessity of 800 mpa steel being used in his product.

http://www.bisalloy.com.au/files/Techman/Range of Grades.pdf