Rocna Anchors acquired by Canada Metal Pacific

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I thought the length of an anchor "thread" was determined by the depth of discussion, the weight of the subject being discussed, the range of discussion around nearby subjects and how much hot air is blowing around...
:rolleyes:

Agreed, although worth adding that the scope of the discussion also has a considerable effect on its staying power.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Just a quick query. Do you have a bowsprit and does the Rocna fit in the bow roller under the bowsprit?

Rob

A good question.... yes a bowsprit and..... just!
http://s725.photobucket.com/user/johnscottorn/media/IMG_4036.jpg.html?sort=3&o=68

this photo was pre Rocna. The teak cross planks had to be removed and a 30mm thin strip of s/s angled ground away which the side strips of teak once were ....http://s725.photobucket.com/user/jo...nshelteredbuttherewasweed.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
and now its a very snug fit.
Like all anchors in this position it deploys aside the bobstay which is sometimes a pain.

LK car was a present to Mrs S. who had just got her licence back after a brain tumour op' just over a 2 years ago... all now well :)

robmcg

Visit site
A good question.... yes a bowsprit and..... just!
http://s725.photobucket.com/user/johnscottorn/media/IMG_4036.jpg.html?sort=3&o=68

this photo was pre Rocna. The teak cross planks had to be removed and a 30mm thin strip of s/s angled ground away which the side strips of teak once were ....http://s725.photobucket.com/user/jo...nshelteredbuttherewasweed.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
and now its a very snug fit.
Like all anchors in this position it deploys aside the bobstay which is sometimes a pain.

LK car was a present to Mrs S. who had just got her licence back after a brain tumour op' just over a 2 years ago... all now well :)

I will have to have a bit of a measure. Current setup below.

image.jpg

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Yes, it is a 35, with the extended rig. Full piccie below.
View attachment 39805

What a 'cracker'! ....... drooling with envy!

I have gotten away with a 15kg Rocna which saw us on a 2000 NM half anchoring half mooring cruise in 2012 . I think the 20kg would be too wide for your bowsprit. Not sure what the Spade measures in at, would that fit?

There are a few more piccies of my Ambler of Arne TW33 the first of all the TW's first owned by designer John Rock, on my Photo Bucket.
I think it was after John's ownership that the bowsprit was put on to try and eliminate weather helm, then the cutter rig.
On certain points of sail in a F5+ she still balances better with a reef in.
Not many of the TW35's that I've seen have a bowsprit. I saw one beauty owned by the Army in Carrickfergus in 2012 other than that yours is the 2nd.
Do you fly both the foresails downwind on poles together?
I've just put another inner forestay close to the 1st so that I can hank on a variety of sails to play with.

I am looking for a 4.5m pole with a cone and socket fixing.... not made any more and a bit like hens teeth.

S.

Last edited:

robmcg

Visit site
What a 'cracker'! ....... drooling with envy!

I have gotten away with a 15kg Rocna which saw us on a 2000 NM half anchoring half mooring cruise in 2012 . I think the 20kg would be too wide for your bowsprit. Not sure what the Spade measures in at, would that fit?

There are a few more piccies of my Ambler of Arne TW33 the first of all the TW's first owned by designer John Rock, on my Photo Bucket.
I think it was after John's ownership that the bowsprit was put on to try and eliminate weather helm, then the cutter rig.
On certain points of sail in a F5+ she still balances better with a reef in.
Not many of the TW35's that I've seen have a bowsprit. I saw one beauty owned by the Army in Carrickfergus in 2012 other than that yours is the 2nd.
Do you fly both the foresails downwind on poles together?
I've just put another inner forestay close to the 1st so that I can hank on a variety of sails to play with.

I am looking for a 4.5m pole with a cone and socket fixing.... not made any more and a bit like hens teeth.

S.

We haven't had her that long, and only launched towards the end of June last year so no long downwind legs yet! We only carry a single pole so would have to make do with that! She was specced with the taller mast which results in the bowsprit. I believe it's the tallest mast the boat could accommodate without going to a double spreader rig. In addition, we have another removable inner forestay for the storm jib - but it is yet to be flown (by any of her previous owners). We were lucky to get a huge history file right back to fit out and even have the lead distribution diagram for the keel ballasting. Internally, she was fitted out the same as a Tradewind 33 called Trade Secret which gives her a bigger galley and C shaped saloon seating which converts to a lovely big bed if you need it. She also has extended SS tanks 513 litres for the water tanks which live under the engine and saloon floor. It makes her a bit easier to cruise with the twin furlers with the usual caveat of sail shape when reefed. To be honest we are still on the learning curve with the boat as we had a relatively short season and a shaft misalignment when one of the engine mounts gave up, so are yet to see her full potential.
The Rocna will probably not be an option for us as I don't want to lose the bowsprit platform at the moment - will have to explore other options.

Rob

smackdaddy

Visit site
Well - after all the years of hubbub, drama, and dishonesty - you'll be happy to know I bought a Mantus:

zps1f68a658.jpg

And it rocks.

I wouldn't put a Rocna on my bow if you gave it to me.

GHA

Visit site
Well - after all the years of hubbub, drama, and dishonesty - you'll be happy to know I bought a Mantus:

And it rocks.

I wouldn't put a Rocna on my bow if you gave it to me.
Happy you're happy :)

Would go for you with a winch handle if you tried to remove the rocna from my bow, proved itself beyond any reasonable doubt.

Though suspect neither of us could tell the difference blindfolded ;)

beserksail

Visit site
The fluke area on that mantus looks very narrow compared with a rocna and I would think it would be better ploughing a field. Sorry just my observation, maybe an optical illusion.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have a Rocna and wouldn't want anything else. However I have heard reports that Rocna anchors can be a Devil to break out. Maybe this anchor is designed to break out more easily, it looks like it has lots of holding power?

smackdaddy

Visit site
First - a disclaimer...I have absolutely NO VESTED INTEREST in Mantus. I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

I just like their anchor (obviously, since I bought one) and I respect the way they work hard to show the average sailor how their product compares with others on the market. From what I've seen in their marketing and in the owner's participation on the forums, Mantus has been honest and has gone to great lengths to do every kind of test they can think of to show their product's strength in various areas - instead of focusing on hype, bluster and deceit.

Here's an example of a pretty compelling test using what I think is an ingenious testing rig for comparative holding power:

There are many, many others on their YouTube channel. See for yourself.

Delfin

Visit site
First - a disclaimer...I have absolutely NO VESTED INTEREST in Mantus. I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

I just like their anchor (obviously, since I bought one) and I respect the way they work hard to show the average sailor how their product compares with others on the market. From what I've seen in their marketing and in the owner's participation on the forums, Mantus has been honest and has gone to great lengths to do every kind of test they can think of to show their product's strength in various areas - instead of focusing on hype, bluster and deceit.

Here's an example of a pretty compelling test using what I think is an ingenious testing rig for comparative holding power:

There are many, many others on their YouTube channel. See for yourself.
The Mantus looks like a good hoop style anchor. When they change the shank from mild steel to something a bit more robust, you should avail yourself of the switch. The only criticism I would make on the balance beam test is that a difference in holding power of 1 ounce will cause the balance to change and one anchor to appear to be a lot superior. It might be, or it might be superior to such a small degree it hardly is worth noting. More compelling is a video on the Sarca Excel site showing a Rocna coupled with a Manson not having the same holding power as a single Excel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVQ8Z8w4WA