RNLI

Hacker

Visit site
......... Switching to one of the excellent UK independent lifeboats would be another option.
That’s a great idea. You could donate to any of the Solent Safety Organisation independents. I suggest Solent Rescue would welcome donations and would make them work harder than the RNLI.

steve yates

Visit site
For a starting point I’m amazed that there are a 130 staff at head office that the RNLI have now worked out they don’t need, how did it ever get to the point that there were so many nonproductive staff anyway.
Secondly I really hope that some of the 130 include the P.C. Snowflakes that were responsible for the suspension of active crew members for various harmless activities.

Gettting rid of 130 managers and administrators is probably no bad thing (unless you are one of them) and it's a bit shocking they have so many to cut from!

alex_m24

Visit site
Perhaps, although I don't know, as I've never been there.

The comment about the RNLI failing to manage the station for years is very relevant though. These various instances of crew being stood down never stem from one single incident. There will usually have been a problem developing for some time, which hasn't been dealt with effectively at a local level.

A few years ago I was on a course down at Poole, and in the bar one evening we got chatting to a crew member from another station.
She told us that although she loved lifeboating, and being a part of the RNLI, there was a horrible atmosphere at her station. A senior crew member, who she described as a bully, was running the station very much on his own terms, resulting in a high turnover of crew, as many simply voted with their feet and walked out when they couldn't put up with it any longer. Others had been sacked from the crew because this individual had fallen out with members of their family. He had no time for any RNLI rules or procedures, he did things his way.

And lo, it came to pass that a couple of years later, that same senior crew member was one of those featured in the papers, having been sacked by the RNLI for a single, innocent mistake, the only one in his otherwise unblemished career.

I read a few of the reports now and this was the undertone I was getting from each article now confirmed by yourself.

Nobody gets sacked or dismissed from a job/position for something trivial like having a naughty mug, the naughty mug is an excuse to get rid of someone who, no matter how good they were/thought they were, was ultimately bad for moral or who was consistently a troublemaker to the organisation.

There are several weapons in a companies arsenal for situations like these, for example the three strikes and your out for sickness and timekeeping that conveniently is "at your managers discretion" in other words be a bully/misogynistic/racist and be off sick 3 times and you're out the door, or be an exemplary employee and be off sick three times and your manager can waive the dismissal for previous good conduct.

However I am surprised to read that the RNLI spends money in foreign countries and a little disappointed that the money(unless as reported it is due to specific donors requests for ALL the money spent on the different situations) is not kept to get our own house in order however that is due to my own ignorance for not researching the company before I signed up. Won't stop me from supporting though, as when/if that time comes I like knowing that there will always be someone when the call is made for help - whether it be as a glorified tow truck(due to my complete ineptitude to be the perfect sailor as others so clearly are) or in a genuine emergency.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I read a few of the reports now and this was the undertone I was getting from each article now confirmed by yourself.

Nobody gets sacked or dismissed from a job/position for something trivial like having a naughty mug, the naughty mug is an excuse to get rid of someone who, no matter how good they were/thought they were, was ultimately bad for moral or who was consistently a troublemaker to the organisation.

There are several weapons in a companies arsenal for situations like these, for example the three strikes and your out for sickness and timekeeping that conveniently is "at your managers discretion" in other words be a bully/misogynistic/racist and be off sick 3 times and you're out the door, or be an exemplary employee and be off sick three times and your manager can waive the dismissal for previous good conduct.

However I am surprised to read that the RNLI spends money in foreign countries and a little disappointed that the money(unless as reported it is due to specific donors requests for ALL the money spent on the different situations) is not kept to get our own house in order however that is due to my own ignorance for not researching the company before I signed up. Won't stop me from supporting though, as when/if that time comes I like knowing that there will always be someone when the call is made for help - whether it be as a glorified tow truck(due to my complete ineptitude to be the perfect sailor as others so clearly are) or in a genuine emergency.

I believe this sort of weak management is often to blame for poor industrial relations and is effectively no different to the bullying and misconduct it claims to deal with. Inconsistent application of sick policy or sacking staff for seemingly trivial offences leads to mistrust and dissent among the rest of the workforce and permits an autocratic and bullying management ethos. If these employees are really a problem as described in a few posts above they should be dealt with firmly and properly and ultimately dismissed accordingly. That's real management.

Mark-1

Visit site

dom

Visit site
Got a link to that quote? I can't find it with Google.

I notice some independents have been mentioned. Some links here to make it easy for people:

https://www.freshwaterlifeboat.org.uk/donate.html
https://haylingrescue.com/support/
https://www.justgiving.com/hamblelifeboat
http://gafirs.org.uk/donate/
https://www.gofundme.com/f/solent-rescue

No sorry, I don't have a link; the quote referenced a radio interview with an RNLI legal representative/lawyer (female voice) a couple of days after last w/e's media splash.

The thrust of what she was saying was consistent with the message carried by the RNLI's Twitter and other social media campaigns, namely that the RNLI has no intention of either backing down, or openly discussing its new objectives.

And I think that continues to be its official position.

Re the links to independents: very useful summary.

Mark-1

Visit site
No sorry, I don't have a link; the quote referenced a radio interview with an RNLI legal representative/lawyer (female voice) a couple of days after last w/e's media splash.

FWIW I don't think it's fair to use quotation marks in that way.

Skeffles

Visit site

Nobody gets sacked or dismissed from a job/position for something trivial like having a naughty mug,.

Although if you are told on multiple occasions by your boss to get rid of the mug because we no longer live in the 1970s or treat the world like an episode of "On the Buses", then you can be fairly sacked for not obeying your boss' instructions. That is 100% fine, and frankly if someone is going to arse around over something so petty as a mug (why is it so important they have that particular mug anyway, other than some sort of infantile need to show off) then it gives no confidence they will not also decide to have some sort of desire to muck about on the water when lives are at stake. Nobody gets sacked for a mug, unless it is particularly and outstandingly grotesque, but, just like in every other workplace across the land, you will get sacked if you do not do what your boss tells you to.

As for the RNLI providing aid in other countries, nobody seems to mind the RNLI's stations in the Republic of Ireland. That alone seems to make the furore about aiding, poorer nations which are (mostly) also former colonies of the UK, and, unlike Republic of Ireland, members of the Commonwealth, somewhat suspicious in terms of its motivations.

jordanbasset

Visit site
https://www.theguardian.com/society...-by-support-after-criticism-for-overseas-work
'The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) has been “overwhelmed” by the number of people who have leapt to its defence and dug into their pockets after the charity was criticised in two newspaper articles for its work saving people from drowning abroad.
Rather than being defensive about negative articles in the Times and Mail Online, the RNLI said it was glad of the publicity about its overseas work and hoped the coverage could help it secure a UN resolution on drowning prevention.
The charity’s website has had a month’s worth of traffic in a few days, with many people giving money for the first time.'

Good on the RNLI, glad I was not the only one who contributed extra money following these press stories

Mark-1

Visit site
FWIW I don't think it's fair to use quotation marks in that way.

Why should a radio statement be treated any different to written text?

I think that you might have been inadvertently slightly misquoted them or paraphrased them and there's no way to verify what was actually said, hence a bit unfair to put it in quotation marks. (FWIW I doubt the term "new objectives" which seems contrary to what they're saying elsewhere.)

Unless someone can find the recording we'll never know how accurate the quote is so little point in discussing it.

Last edited:

dom

Visit site
I think that you might have been inadvertently slightly misquoted them or paraphrased them and there's no way to verify what was actually said, hence a bit unfair to put it in quotation marks. (FWIW I doubt the term "new objectives" which seems contrary to what they're saying elsewhere.)

Unless someone can find the recording we'll never know how accurate the quote is so little point in discussing it.

No misquote, nor is this particularly relevant. For the RNLI has this week adopted a perfectly consistent and well orchestrated position, portrayed via a modern multifaceted media campaign: some written some not, some formally documented, some not, some under the RNLI's name, some offered as off-the-record briefings to journalists. All perfectly normal although it doesn't come for free.

Some donors will be encouraged, others disheartened. The early signs are great for the RNLI, the question being whether this new money is sticky. Legacy trends accounting for 64% of gross income, are ultimately key to the RNLI, compared to donations accounting for just 27%.

We can all have a view, but only time will tell; at least a year or two.

Last edited:

Mark-1

Visit site
No misquote

We have no way of knowing that.

nor is this particularly relevant.

The relevance is that if the RNLI are really claiming to have "new objectives" then clearly that is going to cost them donations, because people like the old objectives. On the other hand if they are still a British Isles lifeboat outfit that just happens to chuck a couple of per cent at other stuff then, long term, nobody will care.

I think the RNLI are pushing the latter message. That unverifiable quote pushes the former.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have read this thread from start to finish.

I find myself persuaded by Juan Two-Three’s posts.

There is nothing new in any of this - the RNLI operates, as it has done for many decades, with essentially three parts.

First there are the people who persuade others to donate. Without these people, nothing is going to happen. They are part of the central organisation.

Second, there are the people in the central organisation who design the boats and the stations and who supervise the building and the maintenance of the stations and the boats and who are responsible for making sure that everyone is properly trained and equipped.

Thirdly there are the local volunteers who man each station and each boat.

It has been that way since the RNLI was founded and there have always been truly spectacular rows between the people in the second group and some of those in the third group. Whole crews have stormed out and/or been fired for at least the past 150 years. It’s impossible to see the Lifeboat operating in any other way.

Having said that, this system puts a huge weight on the Station Secretary, who is the interface between Poole and the crew and local volunteers. In an age that was more inclined to deference, things may have been easier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

So what’s his problem??? He quit cause he can’t tell dodgy jokes??

Snowflake.

I thought he quit because the RNLI found that a colleague had set a flare off upside down, that hit another crew member, then burned the boat to the ground. I am not sure if it is the colleague who nearly killed the crew member, or the RNLI not taking action against the colleague that he finds issue with.

his disillusionment stemmed from the handling of a probe into a fire on an inshore lifeboat in May 2016.

Three colleagues were searching for a person reported to be in the sea off Skegness. When one of the crew tried to fire a flare, it struck a colleague and fell into the boat, setting it on fire. The crew escaped but the vessel was lost.

The crew member who fired the flare insisted he had done so correctly but an investigation found the flare had been held upside down.

Mr Kelly claimed the RNLI ‘hushed up’ the incident and volunteers were ordered not to discuss it. However, the RNLI said it did not blame the crew for the incident and took no action against them.