River Mersey to be barraged and locked upstream of Tranmere for tidal energy

dankilb

Visit site
Mersey-Tidal-barrage-image-3-e1709825831855.png

Apparently a scheme to build a tidal electricity-generating barrage across the River Mersey upstream (south) of Tranmere Oil Terminal is progressing, with approval of various local authorities and the region Mayor.

This will involve completely blocking the River with a pedestrian causeway and lock access for shipping/navigation (perhaps connecting to Eastham/Ship Canal dock system?).

£6bn ‘barrage across the Mersey’ takes step forward - Liverpool Business News

Not sure what this’ll mean for those - like us - who sail from Liverpool Marina/Brunswick Lock? Presumably it’ll be outside the barrage, but access to the normal high tide cruising/racing grounds would be lost. There are other clubs and Fiddlers Ferry etc. upstream that would be behind (at least one) lock(s).

Obvious questions cited in the - surprisingly minimal - medial coverage so far include impacts on wildlife, views, Garston Docks, etc. Positives cited include a pedestrian link to the Wirral and a ‘tidal industrial revolution’ in jobs/industry, apparently. It would also create one of the largest lakes in the country - I suppose with its own leisure benefits (albeit limited or at least ‘different’ in sailing terms).

Maybe we should ditch the yacht and invest in a fleet of workboats?!

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
Mersey-Tidal-barrage-image-3-e1709825831855.png

Apparently a scheme to build a tidal electricity-generating barrage across the River Mersey upstream (south) of Tranmere Oil Terminal is progressing, with approval of various local authorities and the region Mayor.

This will involve completely blocking the River with a pedestrian causeway and lock access for shipping/navigation (perhaps connecting to Eastham/Ship Canal dock system?).

£6bn ‘barrage across the Mersey’ takes step forward - Liverpool Business News

Not sure what this’ll mean for those - like us - who sail from Liverpool Marina/Brunswick Lock? Presumably it’ll be outside the barrage, but access to the normal high tide cruising/racing grounds would be lost. There are other clubs and Fiddlers Ferry etc. upstream that would be behind (at least one) lock(s).

Obvious questions cited in the - surprisingly minimal - medial coverage so far include impacts on wildlife, views, Garston Docks, etc. Positives cited include a pedestrian link to the Wirral and a ‘tidal industrial revolution’ in jobs/industry, apparently. It would also create one of the largest lakes in the country - I suppose with its own leisure benefits (albeit limited or at least ‘different’ in sailing terms).

Maybe we should ditch the yacht and invest in a fleet of workboats?!
There will be new waterfront land (water frontage usually commands a premium). Should not be difficult to define, take a punt :), buy a few acres.

Jonathan

dankilb

Visit site
Bit sunny for up north?
We always say we’re blessed with ‘the light’ on Merseyside… St Ives of the North West?!

I had to check the calendar.
Me too.
What's the tidal range?
10m springs.

An excellent way of generating electricity. Output is entirely predictable, unlike with wind and solar.
No doubt. Presumably the idea is that the level upstream is kept at a ‘low tide’ state and energy is generated as the rising tide is allowed through the barrage?

doug748

Visit site
It would be just like the Rance above St Malo, a pastoral, verdant paradise; think of leisurely weekend cruises to Widnes, Runcorn and Warrington. (y)

More seriously it could give a big, safe area for watersports of all sorts and with luck maybe a marina, which has to be better than the present options.

KevinV

Visit site
Presumably the idea is that the level upstream is kept at a ‘low tide’ state and energy is generated as the rising tide is allowed through the barrage?
And visa versa - think of the turbines as valves in a shock absorber.

There have been discussions about one forever in the Severn - perversely protecting wildfowl has been one of the big arguments against - I wonder how well they'll fair when sea levels rise because we didn't implement this kind of project? The amount of silt in the Severn is a big issue though.

crewman

Visit site
I remember a similar proposal for Swansea Bay. Every time someone looked at the proposal in detail the cost went up and the electricity generation went down. I suspect this will have similar economics