River Mersey to be barraged and locked upstream of Tranmere for tidal energy

Geoff Wode

Visit site
Government accepts lowest cost tender from “private” company with a board made up of party donors. After 5yrs, project is 5% complete and 400x over budget. Company sues government, wins and is released from contract. Taxpayer foots bill. CEO takes £50m bonus. Mersey tidal barrage becomes footbridge to Spike Island. BBC make documentary on “why can’t the UK do infrastructure?” CEO buys Hebridean Island. Probably. 😏

ylop

Visit site
Apparently a scheme to build a tidal electricity-generating barrage across the River Mersey upstream (south) of Tranmere Oil Terminal is progressing, with approval of various local authorities and the region Mayor.
What does progressing mean? Planning permission granted or feasibility studies being investigated? It seems like a perfectly sensible thing to be considering. We need more people with a long term vision and pipe dreams in order that some ideas may bubble to the surface as viable.
Not sure what this’ll mean for those - like us - who sail from Liverpool Marina/Brunswick Lock?
I wouldn’t stress! At the typical scale of major infrastructure projects of this scale it’s unlikely this will be finished in the lifetime of many Mersey sailors! Indeed probably the most lively to vocally oppose won’t still be sailing before the first engineering work would start on site!

It would also create one of the largest lakes in the country - I suppose with its own leisure benefits (albeit limited or at least ‘different’ in sailing terms).
i imagine they are thinking along the lines of the Ijsslemeer in the Netherlands? If they manage to get even a quarter of the charm of that area for sailing I think you(r descendants) will look back on it as a major boost for the area both in tourist and tourism terms. I have no idea if they can pull that off but whilst it may be tempting for the sailing community to recoil in horror at the plan for a giant concrete strip across “their waters” it might actually be more fruitful to embrace it - a constructive dialogue could see good facilities included in the design!

onesea

Visit site
The biggest problem will be the build up of sediment turning it into a stinking bog.

The Mersey is murky and it’s not only pollution. Mersey mud like easy coast mud is particularly soft as it’s constantly being laid down and flushed away.

If looking to utilise the tidal flow I would of thought tidal turbines would be more cost effective. If variable on the tides.

C08

Visit site
I will believe it when I see it. Most of these grandiose projects are just pipe dreams or someone selling sommething that does not stack up either financially, functionally or with environmental problems apart from overcoming objections from the many interested parties.

Beelzebub

Visit site
The biggest problem will be the build up of sediment turning it into a stinking bog.

The Mersey is murky and it’s not only pollution. Mersey mud like easy coast mud is particularly soft as it’s constantly being laid down and flushed away.

If looking to utilise the tidal flow I would of thought tidal turbines would be more cost effective. If variable on the tides.
While the electricity generation at the Rance barrage works just fine, the silting of the river is a serious problem:-

Envasement de la Rance : "un préjudice industriel" pour les associations qui traînent EDF et l'État devant la justice

PeterV

Visit site
I too have my doubts. The maintenance costs of almost anything operating in sea water are the reason nearly all wave and tidal generators don’t get past the prototype stage.

Bouba

Visit site
Mersey-Tidal-barrage-image-3-e1709825831855.png

Apparently a scheme to build a tidal electricity-generating barrage across the River Mersey upstream (south) of Tranmere Oil Terminal is progressing, with approval of various local authorities and the region Mayor.

This will involve completely blocking the River with a pedestrian causeway and lock access for shipping/navigation (perhaps connecting to Eastham/Ship Canal dock system?).

£6bn ‘barrage across the Mersey’ takes step forward - Liverpool Business News

Not sure what this’ll mean for those - like us - who sail from Liverpool Marina/Brunswick Lock? Presumably it’ll be outside the barrage, but access to the normal high tide cruising/racing grounds would be lost. There are other clubs and Fiddlers Ferry etc. upstream that would be behind (at least one) lock(s).

Obvious questions cited in the - surprisingly minimal - medial coverage so far include impacts on wildlife, views, Garston Docks, etc. Positives cited include a pedestrian link to the Wirral and a ‘tidal industrial revolution’ in jobs/industry, apparently. It would also create one of the largest lakes in the country - I suppose with its own leisure benefits (albeit limited or at least ‘different’ in sailing terms).

Maybe we should ditch the yacht and invest in a fleet of workboats?!
Looks like fake news....Scousers on bicycles🤷‍♂️🤔😂🤣

Bobc

Visit site
Government accepts lowest cost tender from “private” company with a board made up of party donors. After 5yrs, project is 5% complete and 400x over budget. Company sues government, wins and is released from contract. Taxpayer foots bill. CEO takes £50m bonus. Mersey tidal barrage becomes footbridge to Spike Island. BBC make documentary on “why can’t the UK do infrastructure?” CEO buys Hebridean Island. Probably. 😏
It would be funny if it weren't the probable reality.