Rig inspection .. how much and what do I get for the £s?

Poey50

Visit site
The pre-purchase survey on our Sadler 32 in May recommended a rig inspection at lay-up and the insurer has made fulfilling the surveyor's recommendations a condition of continued insurance.

How much is this likely to cost (Solent area) and what should I expect for the money - a visual check and poke around from deck level of something more sophisticated?

If anyone can recommend someone (nearish to Chichester Harbour) then so much the better.

johnalison

Visit site
I don't think it should be a major expense. I went to our East Coast riggers for a ten-year check and a couple of monkeys scrambled around for perhaps an hour, so maybe £100ish. I don't remember exactly.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
It's writing a report that takes them time. I reckon you are going to be looking at more like 200 quid, maybe more, if you want something in writing (which presumably your insurers will). Think the PO was paying that kind of money when the boat was in Plymouth (>5yrs ago now)

I get a rig check annually from my friendly rigger but it is just an "all looks good" next time I see him or on an invoice if I'm getting other stuff, more than good enough for me, for about ?50 quid. Doubt that sort of thing will satisfy your insurers.

Poey50

Visit site
Surveyor recommends a rig inspection is carried out (among a number of other recommendations) and the insurance company only requires the recommendations to be carried out. So no actual report is mentioned. I wonder if a note to say it has been done is sufficient?

stranded

Visit site
Surveyor recommends a rig inspection is carried out (among a number of other recommendations) and the insurance company only requires the recommendations to be carried out. So no actual report is mentioned. I wonder if a note to say it has been done is sufficient?

... unless/until you make a claim...

alan_d

Visit site

Keep the receipt from the rigger?

Cantata

Visit site
Rig safety check at Lymington Haven last Spring, for insurers to cover delivery trip home (I'd bought a boat long overdue for new rigging but I wanted to get the re-rig done at home away from South Coast prices!!) around £140.
New rig on the East Coast 30% cheaper....

Poey50

Visit site
Thanks to all for replies. I can answer my own question now ... £70 + vat for a check (including up the mast) and report from Holman Rigging at Chichester Marina. Sounds good to me.

Davegriff

Visit site
I suspect the required works are more a formality to the insurance company. The surveyer's mentioned it so its natural they'd want something done, however "token". Very likely, your word will be sufficient.

As regards invalidating insurance, I know we live in a greedy "claims-making-at-the drop-of-a-hat" society, but how many of us ever do make a claim? I have never needed to.

Minchsailor

Visit site
I would expect more than a visual check. Use of a dye penetrant to check for cracks in tangs, rigging screws. Checking for corrosion in swage terminals - a few years ago high currant electrical testing was all the rage for this.

At the end a written report. IF there was a rigging failure (and they DO happen) your insurers would probably want to go after the rigger's professional indemnity insurance. I don't think you will get that for £70. Others mention £140 - this seems to be more reasonable.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Out of interest...

There have been people writing of Riggers and Surveyors performing rig inspections. When I bought my current boat my insurer requested a 3-yearly 'mast down' inspection that I promptly did, having the yard lower my mast and me visually inspecting the wires, terminals, fittings, swages, etc. myself. (visually, not using electrical resistance or dye penetrant or other)

My insurance co were happy to accept my own 'mast down' inspection of my rig and confirmed that in writing. I don't race and like many of those here, don't sail anywhere like as often as I'd like to...

This winter my standing rigging reaches 10 years old but with the exception of one item still looks good.

With another mast down inspection and visual verification of the above items, replacement of the stained backstay tensioner, (with photo evidence) does anyone think that my insurance co will continue to be happy to continue cover for my whole rig?

Poey50

Visit site
Just to complete this - Hoiman's of Chichester Marina fitted me in within three days (before the boat came off the water when they would only be able to do a deck-level inspection). They did the inspection first thing yesterday. I had a verbal report then a written report by 11.00am and they did the necessary work (replaced a backstay) by lunchtime. Recommended.

Topcat47

Visit site
Interesting, I approached two local riggers, both declined to carry out the work in case the insurance company did try to claim from them if the rig failed post inspection. They did both offer a ten year guarantee on new rigging though.

garvellachs

Visit site
I would expect more than a visual check. Use of a dye penetrant to check for cracks in tangs, rigging screws. Checking for corrosion in swage terminals - a few years ago high current electrical testing was all the rage for this.

At the end a written report. IF there was a rigging failure (and they DO happen) your insurers would probably want to go after the rigger's professional indemnity insurance. I don't think you will get that for £70. Others mention £140 - this seems to be more reasonable.

If the insurance company demands a regular inspection and expects to chase the rigger concerned in the event of a subsequent failure, then surely the rigger is insuring the rig not the insurance company? That can't be right. The common concept of being "reasonable" needs to pertain? The rig needs to be maintained regularly and properly - an insurer would expect that - and that must include regular inspection for developing faults that can be seen reasonably eg cracks, broken strands, serious corrosion etc.. A conscientious owner can do this by (someone experienced) going up the mast twice a year I would say, plus replacement of key components at around ten years (esp forestay). Hidden faults causing sudden failure need to be insured against. I guess that those are rare?

Poey50

Visit site
If the insurance company demands a regular inspection and expects to chase the rigger concerned in the event of a subsequent failure, then surely the rigger is insuring the rig not the insurance company? That can't be right. The common concept of being "reasonable" needs to pertain? The rig needs to be maintained regularly and properly - an insurer would expect that - and that must include regular inspection for developing faults that can be seen reasonably eg cracks, broken strands, serious corrosion etc.. A conscientious owner can do this by (someone experienced) going up the mast twice a year I would say, plus replacement of key components at around ten years (esp forestay). Hidden faults causing sudden failure need to be insured against. I guess that those are rare?

Good sense here.

Davegriff

Visit site
Where do you people get your insurance cover? Our boat is insured for Uk waters, the Atlantic coast waters of France, Spain and Portugal and the whole western Mediterranean Sea, all fully comprehensive and with no mention at all of "rigging inspections". At a loss understanding why other people seem to have problems.

[3889]

Visit site
Good sense here.

+1

Change your insurer. Mine didn't even require a pre-purchase survey. Apropos rig inspections, I carried out many when working for Sunsail after a 3 minute training course on the pontoon, the same training they gave to my teenage Zero to Hero peers.

drakes drum

Visit site
I would expect more than a visual check. Use of a dye penetrant to check for cracks in tangs, rigging screws. Checking for corrosion in swage terminals - a few years ago high currant electrical testing was all the rage for this.

Spent my formative years working in a factory making stainless steel wire. IMO a good visual check is OK - its easy to see cracks without messing with dye penetrant and there is no practical way of checking for internal corrosion inside swaged fittings. I suppose you could X ray but that might well cost more than the rigging, and in any case most failures occurr where the wire comes out of the swaged fitting.

More to the point, the absence of obvious faults does not mean that the rigging will not fall down next time you hit a wave. Fatigue isnt always obvious and for that reason you should replace the rigging in a disciplined way.

The oft mentioned 10 years isnt a bad guide though its entirely statistical ie rig failure claims become more frequent on average after 10 years. Every couple of years max I examine all terminals with a magnifying glass. In 30 years of sailing I have found just two cracks.