Rich Snob or Low Life Oik

BarryH

Visit site
OK some one must be able to settle this and sort out my personality disorder. Ive just opened a letter, yet another rejection from a motorboat club. "Sorry but the Vessel that you own does not meet the criteria needed for membership, perhaps a sportsboat club would be better for you. Yet sportsboat clubs say the same thing, on one hand Im told to go join the "sportsboat" oiks and on the other Im told to go and join the "The Rich Snob" Motorboaters.

So when does a sportsboat become a cruiser, I often travel further than most of the gin palaces and normally do more water skiing than the sportsboaters and sportsboat type thingys, and i must admit that when reading MBM Cruising clib pages my boat isnt eligable because its 2 feet too small. Obviously their insurance company have a better definition than most (tell that to Shackelton when he set off in the "James Caird"

So someone please let me know as the Shrinks bills are getting bigger than my petrol costs for last season!!!!

jfm

Visit site
Re Dunno

Oooer never heard this one, though never tried to join a club. Tell us more.....which club was it, and you said there were others, which clubs were they? Axshully I have no idea of the definition of "sportsboat"

Oh yes and your boat's the wrong size for this forum so please log off ;-)

BarryH

Visit site
Re: Re Dunno

Yet again a negative response, "Sportsboat" was, I imagine, coined by the boating press. MBM now class them as Trailboats, but then is a Broom35 or sunseeker 38 not a trailboat when its on a low loader trailer. Is it or is it not the fact that we all choose to use our spare time partaking in the same hobby? Tell me I havent got a proper boat when pulling a 38 foot yacht off the mud in the Wareham channel, (which i might add the Ungrateful and miserable so and so didnt even thank me), yet my boats only 20 odd feet long.

So when it comes down to it does size really matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jfm

Visit site
Re: committees praps?

Would still be interested to hear which clubs, can u say?. I completely agree boats in the 20foot range are proper boats, I do much boating in that size range (21 feet). I sometimes wonder if the clubs are let down by their committees, I mean the members of the club may be ok but the officious types wind up on the committee and get all traffic wardenish about imposing rules?

BarryH

Visit site

Commitees are they the people that take all the fun out of fun things. The clubs I would not be comfortable in naming them as i know at least one of the commitee members uses this BB. The clubs in question are in the Poole and south coast area as thats where the boat is based in the summer.

Maybe MBM could re introduce their trailboat rallies as Im sure that Im not the only outcast around. You never know some one may read this and start the ball rolling we can only live in hope or remortgage the house sell the wife and buy a bigger boat that dosnt move off its moorings and heypresto no longer am i Billy nomates and i can join a club because i have a proper motor boat

END OF MOAN AND OFF MY SOAPBOX

BarryH

Visit site
Royal Squadron- I WISH. but seriously ive given up, what a group of like minded boat owners have done is to loosely lay plans for next year. They had the same experiences and have come to the same conclusion as me.

I dont think the routr that you are sugesting is the way to go as some of the people i have had contact with, i would suspect, be resentful to some degree and i think this would detract from the enjoyment of belonging to "the club".

Thanks for the offer though

psvpilot59

Visit site
Hi Barryh

I wouldn't lose any sleep whatsoever over this! The sort of people you'r talking about, neither myself nor my wife would wish to rub shoulders with!! I had originally planned to put my boat on 'Windermere'....We drove up there for a look, to see if we could get a mooring. Apart from the fact they wanted £2,500 per season, I would have felt very much out of it among the flash (Non moving) 6 and 7 figure 'Gin Palaces' sipping their 'Champers' ("Actually...spring water") on the Pulpit!! My (lovely) wife said if I went up there I would be going by myself, and boy am I glad, because we are now in a beautiful part of yorkshire among 'REAL' people!!! We don't go to bed in our 'Stateroom'...we climb into our Sleeping Bag in our BUNK!!!!! To be fair however, we do know some really nice 'Rich' people, and they would be among the first to condemn the Idiot Snobs, whom you will mostly find, do not own the boat they play on, but are in hock up to their armpits, whereas us 'POOR' souls actually own our boat/house/car/plane....etc

It was the same in the Aero Clubs, but fortunately there were usually enough 'Real' people around to ignore the Snobs and just laugh at them. They stood out a mile....they were the ones propping up the bar talking about how good a flyer they were , but never actually doing any when anyone was around to see them!!!!

Golf Clubs too...........but enough!!!!!

regards

LM

ccscott49

Visit site

Barry, I would have thought any number of clubs would be glad to have you, you seem interseted in the sport and your money is as good as anyone elses, I cant understand a club turnung down a new member, especially when you dont need one of there moorings, seems strange to me. You would probably make a good committee member aswell, new views/ideas!

Col

Visit site
Re: A club of our own?

With all these dissenting replies,why don't we form our own club?
We could paint our boats matt black, fit straight-through transom exhausts, and we could have a skull & crossbones as a club burgee!
Might have problems findind venues for club rallies though, What do you think?

BarryH

Visit site

Now your just showing your age, this idea has past echos of the infamous Poole Harbour Jolly Roger Club. Requirements to join the club were as follows:-

1 Must have either a Ring or Phantom
2 Only engines allowed are Large 2 stroke outboards race tuned with the relief eaxhaust hole opened up
3 Put the boat in gear leave the brain in neutrual
4 Must have at least twice the legal limit of alchohol in the blood stream

Or so I am told,

Col

Visit site

Seriously, I don't belong to a club, I have been to a couple of club "do's" as a guest, but I've never felt the need to join.
Just enjoy your boat, and maybe meet up with a couple of boat owning friends and form your own flotilla now'n again.
BarryH where are you based?
Must be a few of these forum users near you.

BarryH

Visit site

Hang about just got up of the floor from laughing. ME A committee member!!! Do the word P*@+ and brewery spring to mind. Good idea about the club tho. When people mention commitees to me i always picture the comoical type northern chap in a flat cap complete with pint of bitter and a fire bell as seen back in the 70s Wheel Tappers and Shunters Club(now im just showing how old I am)

Now where did i leave that ferret............

BarryH

Visit site

I know what you are saying, what you suggest is basically the plan started at the end of september. A number people got to gether and ended up on a first cruise from Poole to Yarmouth IOW. A mix of boats took part ranging from 16ft Fletchers too a Donzi. Not a bad weekend all in all, and a good time had i yarmouth by all.

I base the boat in poole in the summer months as we hall a place not far from there.

ccscott49

Visit site

Probably up your trousers, along with your brains! I still say they need your money more than you need them!

BarryH

Visit site

You,ve been talking to the wife, thats where she says i do all my thinking!! Your probably right, its not that i desperate to join a club and become a member of the "in crowd" as Ive been playing around in boats of one sort or another since knee high to a grass hopper, its just i dont get how clubs/press or whatever, put us in catergories. Are we not all doing the same thing going out on our boats in our spare time enjoying ourselves gettin away from the daily grind etc or am i totally missing the point