Rich Snob or Low Life Oik

ArthurWood

Visit site
All this Brit snobbery is another good reason for us to stay this side of the Atlantic (no other suggestions why, please, or I'll mention that bright thing in the sky by name!!). Very little of that 'ere. In fact where we do our boating, we wouldn't know if the boaters were worth $5 or $50M until we see their boats, some of which are 110ft, so $50M net worth is is probably close in those cases.

G

Re: A club of our own?

Who was it that said " I wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member?

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Barry, we've been over this ground before but it's not the case that you are not able to join MBM Cruising Club events; it is the case that some are not for boats of less than 25ft LOA (and these are all cruises that cover long open water passages).

You could have joined in previously and I'm sure you'd be welcome in the future.

Incidentally, have you tried the Pathfinder Club, who also have an active programme for smaller craft?

ArthurWood

Visit site
Byron, I've never been to the NY Yacht Club. I'm sure that snobbery exists here, but I've come across little of it in my 15 years living in the Southern States and in my extensive travels in the US. Perhaps I spend too much time with the riff-raff of Longboat Key(some of whom are worth gazillions). I take your point, nonetheless.

BarryH

Visit site
Now theres a point The Pathfinder Club. Sorry not eligable the boat doesnt go fast enough for them(Yet!!). It seems they want to blast along from A to B as fast as possible that aside they are probably a great bunch.

Sorry if i have gone over old ground, but you must admit its stirred up peoples grey matter or opened a can of worms, I dont know which.

Ill keep people posted on the impromptu loosley arranged club as mentioned earlier and the rabble that went from Poole to Yarmouth

tico

Visit site
Hi Barry
If they don't want you as a member that's their tough luck!!
Just enjoy your boating, you know that you travel further and do more with it they they do so that's all that matters.
Seriously though, I came up against the same attitude in Poole when I had a 21' cruiser even tho I had taken it a damn (sorry Kim) sight further than 75% of the gin palaces at Cobbs Quay. Even had to rescue a couple in Holes bay, again no 'thank you's'
Now I enjoy my boating where there are unspoilt beaches, good anchorages, interesting ports to visit, cheap waterside pubs and friendly people (stick & rag brigade as well!) who take you for what you are rather than whether you own a 50' S*****ker or a 20' speedboat.
PS it's in the UK.

G

Re: A club of our own?

Barry,

there's enuf south coasters on this forum to be able to meet up with someone... What's yer boat? Range/size/cruising speed?

Disposable income/socio-economic grouping/ethnic background? <G>

G

Barry,

what are you hoping to get out of a club? Do you want to meet people and cruise/day trip in company, or are you looking for some flashy waterside clubhouse with a bar and old duffers in blazers? If it's the former, then drop me a private mail - we have a bunch of friends down in the area, and we are happy to meet up with another. If the latter, then stop paying the shrink and get a 60 footer...

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Barry,

Sorry to hear of your plight. I can see that many useful suggestions have arisen as a result of your posting. I have a 17ft Shakespear with a 100 Suzuki which, at face value, would not seem to fit in at my club which incidentally is Madoc Yacht Club. (http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk). Far from being turned away, I was welcomed after the club had done its "due diligence" bit of proposing and seconding.

It is considered a duty of the membership to a) introduce new members, whether power or sail and b) promote new members into officer positions, so avoiding the "stuffy old" image.

OK, so I'm the only "smokie" owner in the club but the club does welcome members and visitors from all walks of boating life.

I, like yourself, get plenty of use from my boat (especially skiing) and think that this is the very essence of boating, whether power or sail.

You would always be welcome at Madoc Yacht Club.

Regards
DAVE