RIB advice for raggies

Visit site
Looking at RIBs for the first time, bewildered by the variety. Sailing cruisers, we can talk about but there's a whole new world of jargon out there in RIB world. Everyone (esp those with one to sell) has an opinion. So are there any good sources of reliable info on RIB buying?

Red

Visit site
Hello, glad to hear you are considering ribbing as your next adventure. When it comes to choosing a Rib, as with anything else these days there is an awful lot of choice. I would suggest you start with a few basic starting points, the engine(s) can be petrol outboard or diesel or petrol inboard, each have their own good and bad points. Outboards are easy to get at and very reliable these days so there is little need for a twin engine installation. A diesel inboard can work out easier on the wallet in terms of fuel used by a whopping margin, and in offbeat harbours it is easier to find fuel. A petrol inboard is something I would only recommend for a high performance racing machine. Then consider the size of the Rib, this could be influenced by where you intend to keep it either at home on a trailer, on a permanent mooring or in a dry storage rack for example. The other aspects of size will vary depending on how you intend to use the Rib - too small and you may find it a squeeze for more then 2 persons, too big and you will end up having to berth it in a marina on a separate berth rather than rafting up with other boats. For my advice a 6.5 metre Rib covers every aspect from small journeys to long distance voyages and will also cary some gear. The other matters to consider are hull design which to a raggy is as complicated as sail design. Basically a shallow V hull will be uncomfortable in a rough sea, a deep V will be much more comfortable in rough seas however it is not as simple as this sounds. Other points which effect comfort will be anything from balance and trim of the Rib at different speeds, seating and handholds, the weight of the boat and much more besides. Price will vary depending on the standard of build, some build pleasure Ribs, others build Ribs for commercial use and so it is not easy to recommend one manufacturer. Some build Ribs either for recreational use as well as commercial use and my advice would be to start by looking as these Rib builders as a starting point so that you can easily compare the difference. Just like sailing boats some manufacturers use good quality fittings, others use fittings of a lesser quality but this is often reflected in the price.

Good luck with your new venture....

l'escargot

Visit site
From a Raggie who also has a RIB, the first decision is what are you going to use it for, then when and where and then how many people are likely to be with you.

Those factors will influence size, make and engine which are your first decisions.

Then decide where you are going to keep it - dry stack, on a trailer, mooring etc. - which will also affect those factors.

It is very easy to buy the wrong boat for your needs. Sit down and work out why you want one and what you are going to do with it when you've got it. Then go looking and trying. And if you haven't already, do at least Powerboat Level 2, it will make your boating more enjoyable and less stressful.

Last edited:
Visit site
Thanks for the info and advice, folks. I'll check out ribnet etc.

We're looking for a RIB that can take young family down the Exe estuary on picnic trips but will have to get over the bar and further afield (maybe Dartmouth) sometimes. Not that we're abandoning raggie world, the RIB is so we're not as tide-dependent on short trips with little kids. Handling's important, though we won't be wakeboarding for a while so raw power is certainly not necessary. 6 metres seems the minimum size. What are the good makes, for a start?

l'escargot

Visit site
Don't rule out sub 6m. I've got a Solent 5.4 with an Etec 75 which would do all that. I would take it out in just about anything the Solent could throw at me, it will do the best part of 40 knots, it can be towed behind a family saloon and would fit in the average household garage. The engine is also very economical at 10 to 15 litre an hour - if you get something that is economical you don't have to think twice before using it.

carrswood

Visit site
ive owned a few
Everyone has there own views and reasons, but if I was to buy again I would be looking for a deep V rib only. There is nothing worse than a slamming rib to scare the family or make for a really waring trip. So assuming budget is an issue I would probably buy:
1) Ribcraft
2) Coastline
3) Tornado
4) Avon (not very deep V but good family layout)

if money wasn't an issue id buy a big Scorpion!

Doug_Stormforce

www.stormforce.biz
RIBS

An important decision is new vs old.

If looking at used, pay particular attention to the engine, IMHO it is the far more important half of the package.

A new engine with a few years warranty is much safer and will lead to less problems.

I've owned about 10 RIBs and currently rate XS, however there is some personal preference involved.

As suggested do the Powerboat Level 2 course. May be worth picking a school that will use 2 different RIBs, one on each day as this will demonstrate some differences. The course also includes a brief section on hull types and engine options.

Have fun

MRC

Visit site
We bought a rib last year.

I wanted a fast rib

My wife wanted the rib to have:

A toilet
A sunpad
A fridge
A swim ladder
A sunshade
Safe for the kids
Big lockers

We also added
Stereo, teak, ski pole, covers, nav gear etc

We went for a Capelli 850 cabin. It's single engine Yamaha 300.

Its quite beamy at 3.2M which also means its not as quick as I would like but my wife's selection was spot on.

MYAG

Visit site
We bought a rib last year.

I wanted a fast rib

My wife wanted the rib to have:

A toilet
A sunpad
A fridge
A swim ladder
A sunshade
Safe for the kids
Big lockers

We also added
Stereo, teak, ski pole, covers, nav gear etc

We went for a Capelli 850 cabin. It's single engine Yamaha 300.

Its quite beamy at 3.2M which also means its not as quick as I would like but my wife's selection was spot on.

Nice, any pics?.....