Reversing Centaurs

Visit site
It's a good few years since I handled a centaur but I don't remember them being any more or less difficult to manoeuvre than many other boats.

So I have to ask, what was the point of the one pager in YM this month on the subject?

Was this intended as a humourous item like "Confessions" or was it a "Learning Curve" special. The writer, I don't doubt COULD have a particularly awkward example but aren't ALL boats a bit of a handfull until you get some steerage way on? A three bladed prop can also be a pain but just try one set off to the side of the rudder my friend without the benefit of propwash acting on said blade! This was the set-up in the Newbridge Venturer we owned a few years back. She would turn tight to starboard from a standstill but never to port and if you had the wind on that bow too then forget dignity & hello gelcoat filler when leaving a windward berth.

Steve Cronin

billmacfarlane

Visit site
That article baffled me a bit as I couldn't see much else in it that didn't apply to most boats built in that period. I actually sailed one for the first time last year. I've heard all the jokes in the past , re their sailing abilities and was actually pleasantly surprised by the way it sailed. Not fast , but with absolutely no vices. Manoeuvering under engine with a crosswind in a marina was actually easier than my French light displacement job I had at the time , probably due to the heavier displacement of the Centaur .

max

Visit site
Not seen the article but have previously owned a Centaur and currently own a Pentland. Both are reasonably responsive astern once you get way on them.

Have also owned a Drascombe Dirfter with offset outboard - total nightmare astern and pretty useless for any manoeuvre under engine other than going straight forwards.

G

Par for the course I\'m afraid

This goes back to my old hobby horse. It would appear that all the mags are only interested in bad nes stories (although I grant the humourous angle here).

Have you seen the one in PBO this month - with a picture of a smallish Hunter about to launch itself off a wave near Alderney (I think). Do you think that is designed to encourage you to go to the channel islands or stay away? Interestingly, 2 of this months mags (Sailing Today and YM I think (haven't got them with me)) both have details of passage planning around Alderney.

I'd be interested to hear from representatives of the mags on my comments above - if they read this.

Geoff

max

Visit site
Re: Par for the course I\'m afraid

On the other hand tales of tranquil crossings tend to be pretty dull and these kind of stories do tend to reinforce my obsessive ( and arguably over cautious) desire to avoid such places at anything other than optimal conditions.

Having said that, if my wife ever read these articles the closest I would ever get to water in future would be rowing around the Serpentine.

G

Re: Par for the course I\'m afraid

Depends how its written I think. Your 2nd paragraph is bang on the money though Max.

SWMBO did used to read these articles and they scared her shitless. Not only will she now not read the mags (their loss) but she is very cautious about going out in anything other than "gentle" weather so I'm constantly trying to boost her confidence which at one time I didn't need to.

Please note - I am anything but reckless in my own desire to get to sea - she's just plain frightened now - and its their fault.

Geoff