Research into living aboard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Your last line says it all, my message was not about us so the rest of your post is not relevant.

Not trying to prove anything, just providing a bit of balance - Oh yes, my mate has refurbished both of his boats. His one asset is time and a capacity for hard work.

Why not delete your post and oh yes, why challenge my integtity❓

Although we have been there, major boat refurbishment is not on of my favourite topics so don’t think we have much more to discuss.

I was not challenged your integrity or you, I was just asking for an honest answer.
It was a genuine question from one liveaboard to another one.
Has you said you had 18 years experience.
No tricky in the question I was genuinely interested if after all the experience you had if you would take on an old boat that needed large some of money spend on it with the view of living on board full time at the same time as living on the boat while doing a major refit.
Yes I know you was talking about a friend but the question was direct to you .

Now if you wish to take that as some challenge that's really up to you.
If I really wanted to challenge you, my posting would have been very different.

Edit posting to save thread drift

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Interesting thread.

I have a mate who is a true liveaboard.

Single, hehas 2 boats, one in the UK the other in Southern Europe, which he plans to sail to the Caribbean this winter (he has already done this circuit 4 times before) so summers in the UK and winters in warmer climes. He runs a nice little motor.

Oh yes, his only income is his UK state pension.

So it is possible.

Ps Although not a total liveaboard, we do winter afloat in Southern Europe and have a boat in the UK.

We have done this for the past 18 years.

We do not exist solely on the OAP.

I was not challenged your integrity or you, I was just asking for an honest answer.
It was a genuine question from one liveaboard to another one.
Has you said you had 18 years experience.
No tricky in the question I was genuinely interested if after all the experience you had if you would take on an old boat that needed large some of money spend on it with the view of living on board full time at the same time as living on the boat while doing a major refit.
Yes I know you was talking about a friend but the question was direct to you .

Now if you wish to take that as some challenge that's really up to you.
If I really wanted to challenge you, my posting would have been very different.

Edit posting to save thread drift

In #32, I related the circumstances of a friend who sails extensively on a slender budget. I made no further observations save to say this was not our situation.

To be absolutely clear ~#32 is above.

In #34, you posted: For god sake be honest rather then just to prove some of us wrong or there no point in this.

Are you challenge my integrity? I leave others to judge.

Turning to your latest:

What question? I never suggested I have tried to renovate an older vessel so have no experience to offer. My life as a liveaboard is not relevant.

What challenge? Rather than challenged, confused. Your posts frequently have that effect.

You last line, 'Edit posting to save thread drift' leaves me completely baffled.

DownWest

Visit site
Nortada,
read the last lines in Vic's posts. He is dyslexic, so some of his posts need a bit of 'interpretation'.

As for the OP, Waynes World, he has done a cracking restoration of a scrap 20 ft GRP cabin cruiser. You may have missed it in the mobo section..
His attention to detail is quite admirable and he is well into sinking time into a project that will not sell for anything like the value that it should.
So, give him a bit of slack, but keep him away from the true moneypits like old wood fishing boats.

nortada

Visit site
Nortada,
read the last lines in Vic's posts. He is dyslexic, so some of his posts need a bit of 'interpretation'.

As for the OP, Waynes World, he has done a cracking restoration of a scrap 20 ft GRP cabin cruiser. You may have missed it in the mobo section..
His attention to detail is quite admirable and he is well into sinking time into a project that will not sell for anything like the value that it should.
So, give him a bit of slack, but keep him away from the true moneypits like old wood fishing boats.

Thanks for the heads up.

Surprise, surprise I also am slightly dyslexic (it comes in widely varying degrees) but I work hard to counter it, with varying success. Spell checkers and good proof reading has made life a lot easier. It would be interesting to know how many dyslexics inhabit these forums.

My original post was by way of information and was not controversial so I was rather surprised by the tone of the responses. Dyslexia is not about tone. I will cut some slack but if expressly called out, I will respond.

As a rags and flags man I rarely visit the mono forum.

As to the OP, I am in no position to advise on old fishing boats but wish him well in his dream.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Nortada I replying to your last posting not to carry on with this argument but to try and clear up what seen to be a miss understanding .

The (for Christ sake be honest ) was in no way referring to your part of the posting regarding your friend . ( Admitting in hindsight best deleted )
It was referring to a question I ask which refer to last part of your posting

( Ps Although not a total liveaboard, we do winter afloat in Southern Europe and have a boat in the UK.
We do not exist solely on the OAP.)

I Totally miss out the word (not) when I read it

I then went on to write .
(Now the question to you is , starting from the begin , your on as you say a OAP and only that no other income , can you honesty say you would take on what the OP suggest .
For god sake be honest rather then just to prove some of us wrong or there no point in this .)

The question would had been better worded .
On a income of an OAP would you take on the type of project the OP sugggested .

I was call on your 18 years experiences as a liveaboard .
And asking for a honest reply not as some do and post what might benefit them at the time ,
So there not another miss understanding , that not to say you do .
I hope this clears it up ,

nortada

Visit site
Nortada I replying to your last posting not to carry on with this argument but to try and clear up what seen to be a miss understanding .

The (for Christ sake be honest ) was in no way referring to your part of the posting regarding your friend . ( Admitting in hindsight best deleted )
It was referring to a question I ask which refer to last part of your posting

( Ps Although not a total liveaboard, we do winter afloat in Southern Europe and have a boat in the UK.
We do not exist solely on the OAP.)

I Totally miss out the word (not) when I read it

I then went on to write .
(Now the question to you is , starting from the begin , your on as you say a OAP and only that no other income , can you honesty say you would take on what the OP suggest .
For god sake be honest rather then just to prove some of us wrong or there no point in this .)

The question would had been better worded .
On a income of an OAP would you take on the type of project the OP sugggested .

I was call on your 18 years experiences as a liveaboard .
And asking for a honest reply not as some do and post what might benefit them at the time ,
So there not another miss understanding , that not to say you do .
I hope this clears it up ,

All cleared up.

As a fellow dyslexic (although less afflicted than you), I appreciate the stress written communication can cause. Although other aspects of the condition can compensate, as can a spell checker.✔️

Last edited:

waynes world

Visit site
Am I safe to pop back in now :)

Thanks Downwest, glad you appreciate the hard work that has gone into this boat. As you will know then I find these projects fun no matter what the task ahead is. I have gone OTT top on it in places but hey ho, its a project and f i didnt enjoy it i wouldnt do it, the next will be a life long one if i get a live aboard.

There is a lot of talk on wooden boats here, I know that GRP will still need a lot of work but then it is a lot easier and cheaper to repair. And to tell the truth i would rather go GRP, even steel as I can weld/plate that up.

In the end it would all depend on the survey of the boat, if the hull is good to start that would be a good start for me. top sides I wold more likely rebuild anyway and make into a grand banks design lol.

I have an idea anyway to search out for a boat, once this Faffer is finihsed I will launch it up North Yorkshire, cruise around there and see what I can find. when the time comes anyway. Always find neglected boats in these yards around there. Goole area is a good place.

In the mean time I will be finding wat boats i can in the size we need/want and show T around them in all conditions not just recks but also half one live aboards so then she can get an idea of what we can do.

I have a good imagination and what can be done and possible for me to do.

In the end it is down to T, she has pt up with me way to much over the years with my building cars and faffing with boats and DIY.

So watch this space, or another when I get another boat either a small 35 footer or a full on live aboard and I will start another blog.

Again thanks for all the replies and `discussion` ;) i have read through them all and all taken in.

Wayne :)

nortada

Visit site
Unless, I was planning real bluewater in possibly northern or southern climes, I would plumb for a GRP hull. If I was going serious bluewater I would go steel. I know nothing about ferro concret save that some mates swear by them.

Then there is aluminium, again popular with the French but floating in salt water gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

I would go nowhere near wood. Wooden boats are seldom seen on the cruising trail. Probably always under renovation in their home port.

As an aside, we have lived very comfortably for the last 18 years on Plastic 38 footer. Big enough for 2, small enough to manage single-handed.

Last edited: