Replacing the rubber upstand on a lewmar genoa car

dweeze

www.buckscoop.com.au
I'm trying to replace the upstand on an oldish lewmar t-track genoa car but cant seem to figure out how to get it apart to insert the upstand.

On the unit I have the genoa stirrup is a split unit. I have tried pulling either side apart but the small u shackle that goes through its base (and which attaches it to the car) has slightly mushroomed ends on it and wont come apart. Should it?

If not then my next option is to try and punch the car spirol pin out. But .... on one end of the car I can get access to the pin. On the other end of the car there is the plunger. I've taken the plunger apart but the plunger sleeve doesnt want to come out of its hole. I've looked at the Lewmar parts manual and the sleeve seems to have a 'locking' insert in it somewhere - but I cant see how to remove the lock to get the sleeve out so I have access to the bang the spirol pin out. Of course if I bang the pin down towards the pluger sleeve end I'm concerned that I'll break the sleeve as there isnt enough room for the pin to go all the way down. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. If needed I can take and post pictures.

Thanks

svtaravana

Visit site
I recently did this exact task on our genoa cars; it was fairly straight forward if I recall. Not having the thing in front of me taken apart I can't tell what's giving you the trouble...you do have the car off the track? I remember having to drive out the rolled pin with a tiny drift, then there is the larger stainless pin that holds the roller part of the car tight against the new upstand...it can come out of either end of the car. Send me a few small pixel photos of what you have and I will see if we are talking about the same thing. Ours are size 2 cars, about 10 years old. Send the pics to svtaravana(at)yahoo.com. Rick

dweeze

www.buckscoop.com.au
Rick - sent you an email yesterday to ask what size pictures you can take - have 4 @ < 150kb - these ok or not? Just thought I'd ask before I clogged up your connection.

dweeze

www.buckscoop.com.au
In case anyone else has the same issue - the plastic insert the holds the plunger in does come out (you may apparently break the little holding clips off when you do) and you need to remove the pin from the car. The block will not come apart - even though on mine it looks like it should as its a split unit. And if you email Lewmar head office they'll put you onto a technical contact of which you can ask these sorts of questions. I didnt know they would and they certainly dont advertise a tech contact.

svtaravana

Visit site
didn't get the email; sounds like you are getting thru the project? Were you able to source the new rubber parts? I found that having a helper to re-insert the big pin makes it easier; it takes 2 hands to hold the pulley part tight against the new rubber so the pin can be inserted underneath.