replacing sprayhood with windscreen

AlexKT7

Visit site
Our sprayhood (Southerly32) has been recently repaired but again needs some attention. Thus I have a dilemma: getting a new sprayhood made or replacing it with a windscreen (see pic attached) which sounds more practical and durable (long term). Anyone has done that? I have contacted Windscreens and Boat windscreens | houdini-march-17-v5 asking for some info in the meanwhile.
thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-11 at 01.48.13.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-11 at 01.48.13.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
If you sail with a sprayhood up all the time, as a great many seem to do, I suppose replacing the part of it that deteriorates the fastest makes sense.
The glass windscreen on our Malo is a revelation after the past twenty years with the normal canvas/plastic arrangement. Behind the glass it is dry, even on the hardest beat to windward, and warm ( directly behind the screen) , as no chilled Scottish air can be blasted in to the cockpit.

Malo%20screen.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
mmmmm I see odd sailboats with screens and often think - why didn't they complete the job and create a 'Pilothouse' ..... then after imagining the whole ... think its a 50-50 item.

I have a sprayhood that is fast approaching its last days ... along with mainsail cover and dodgers .... Its an expense that makes you think long and hard.
Would I change to a screen ? Actually no. Why ? When I put mast down to transit the bridges / winter storage - I can lower the sprayhood and allow the mast to pivot down. If I had a fixed screen - then I would be limited in the angle I could lower to.
Also in really fine weather - I can lower the sprayhood to enjoy the sun etc.

pvb

Visit site
The fixed glass windscreen on my old Hallberg-Rassy was excellent - great visibility plus shelter. The centre section hinged open for ventilation.

However, building a windscreen from scratch is a serious job and will be quite costly.

Neeves

Visit site
The fixed glass windscreen on my old Hallberg-Rassy was excellent - great visibility plus shelter. The centre section hinged open for ventilation.

However, building a windscreen from scratch is a serious job and will be quite costly.

I'm interested - why will it be costly? and what is costly to me might be cheap to you.

With some skill, maybe not much skill, it can built from foam and fibre glass and have acrylic windows. The OP is not actually suggesting that he will build it - he seems to imply he will have it built (so the serious work will be conducted by experts). It then comes down to cost - and we don't know the depth of the OPs pockets nor how much he is being quoted.

You have experience of a windscreen on a HR - maybe that background would be useful to him

Maybe you can elaborate and possibly encourage :) I don't understand the negativity as you say yours was 'excellent', had 'great visibility plus shelter' - what's not to like ( + an opening centre window) - Do I detect some contradiction.

Jonathan

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
I'm interested - why will it be costly? and what is costly to me might be cheap to you.

With some skill, maybe not much skill, it can built from foam and fibre glass and have acrylic windows. The OP is not actually suggesting that he will build it - he seems to imply he will have it built (so the serious work will be conducted by experts). It then comes down to cost - and we don't know the depth of the OPs pockets nor how much he is being quoted.

You have experience of a windscreen on a HR - maybe that background would be useful to him

Maybe you can elaborate and possibly encourage :) I don't understand the negativity.

Being realistic is different from being negative.

Neeves

Visit site
Being realistic is different from being negative.
If you are realistic then you know more than us as you are saying

You cannot afford it.

Which to me seems presumptuous. or arrogant. :(

The OP, and most OPs, want advice - they don't need to be told they are too poor - they will discover that themselves, or not.

Jonathan

pvb

Visit site
If you are realistic then you know more than us as you are saying

You cannot afford it.

Which to me seems presumptuous. or arrogant. :(

The OP, and most OPs, want advice - they don't need to be told they are too poor - they will discover that themselves, or not.

Don't try to distort my comments, you're developing a nasty habit of criticising anything I post, rather like your good friend Rogershaw used to do...

Neeves

Visit site
No habit. I don't recall noticing any of your posts and I certainly don't pick on you. I had not noticed that our paths had crossed. Interestingly I take little notice of WHO makes a post, though there can be exceptions - I only look at the content.

You may be developing a persecution complex - relax.

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
The boats that use fixed windscreens (mainly Scandinavian) are designed to have them as standard. The key difference, as can be seen in the photo in post#4 is that the deck moulding has a flat surface moulded in as a base for the screen. You will find the same on the many mobos that have flat aluminium framed screens. The challenge with retrofitting is that most deck mouldings have compound curves in the location where you want to add a screen - the OP's boat is particularly curvy in this area.

The first job therefore is to create a flat level base, either a moulding or as I have seen before, laminating from wood. Second problem is that I am not sure there is anybody in the UK regularly making aluminium framed screens such as HR etc use apart from Houdini who the OP has already contacted (Timage products are made in Italy). Great if Houdini can do it, but it will be a one off involving a lot of measuring and fitting. The boat is on the small side for a fixed screen yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2012/southerly-32-3829576/ and it may not improve the aesthetics, particularly if, as is common a fabric upper folding part is added.

Hope the OP pursues it as will be interesting to see what can be done.

stranded

Visit site
We have a fixed screen and on balance I’d rather we hadn’t, though not enough to do anything about it. It’s not really deep enough to be useful on its own. Visibility through the acrylic screen is a bit better, but you have to duck down to take advantage. No opening middle section so the interruption to cooling airflow in the cockpit when at anchor in hot places can be irritating. And because the sprayhood only folds down to the top of the screen it looks a bit untidy when folded. All minor things but certainly wouldn’t order one if it were optional.

pandos

Visit site

Maybe you can elaborate and possibly encourage :) I don't understand the negativity as you say yours was 'excellent', had 'great visibility plus shelter' - what's not to like ( + an opening centre window) - Do I detect some contradiction.

Jonathan
To replicate the screen on a HR would be expensive no matter the skills or abilities or pockets of the OP, I doubt PVB was having a go whilst you certainly seem to be...

They are made from curved toughened glass and slender but strong aluminium sections.

The opening section provides ventilation and relieves the effect of exhaust fumes being sucked into the cabin if the canvas part is raised when motoring with a following breeze.

That said the op should definitely explore obtaining one a screen, a starting point might be to cut templates from ply and have lexan cut on a CNC machine.

I previously hated sprayhoods until I bought an old HR352...only then did I appreciate the screen.

Two years ago I got a sparyhood to go above it and I am converted...

My real ambition is a solid hardtop with the advantages of the screen and spray hood with no canvas and the ability to fit speakers, handholds lights etc.

Fitting them to a boat not designed for one will be a compromise between practicalities and astethics... But YouTube will provide many pieces of inspiration and advice...