Replacing SMEV gas oven with microwave.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Morning all.

I'd like to replace our old SMEV gas oven with a microwave / grill.

I'd assumed this was a simple project but it is looking trickier!

Problem number 1

Domestic microwaves that are designed to be fitted into a cabinet are invariably 60cm wide. I can find one or two that are 50cm but they are only microwaves (not grills).

Problem number 2

Stand-alone microwaves are rarely designed to be fitted in a cabinet and usually require c.20cm clearance at each side of the microwave (for ventilation).

Problem number 3

As you'll see from the below pic, the SMEV over (which is 50cm wide) has a lip / return at the front, which screws to the leading edge of the surrounding cabinet. I can't find a microwave fitting kit that has the same forward edge.

Smev-Oven-Grill-30ltr__28702.1522739185_smev+oven.jpg

Problem Number 4

The original Sharp microwaves and fitting kits that Fairline used are no longer available.

Has anyone solved this? Fabrication of a basic mounting kit is something that I can sort out, or I could reuse the surround from the old SMEV oven.

Pete

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I’m interested in how you get on Pete.
I’ve got the same oven and just use it to keep Nespresso coffee pods in.
(Just the right depth :) )
Doesn‘t help you in the slightest but I was in IKEA last week and couldn’t resist this at £45 for the boat to get away from gas, especially that my elec is not metered.
TILLREDA Portable induction hob, 1 zone white - IKEA

Thanks Richard, your suggestion looks interesting. £500 ouch!

Last edited:

Dino

Visit site
I’m looking at removing a 500mm wide washing machine to fit an oven. I was looking at the Smev unit and I will look at getting a pot drawer built in below it.
I have a generator but I prefer using gas for cooking and I like having an oven.
Is the Smev Oven & Grill any good?

superheat6k

Visit site
I installed a Sharp combining my Turbo 36, and now have the same model on my Grand Banks, but this one isn't working properly in convection mode. It starts and enters the preheat mode, but for some reason doesn't then go into normal mode.

I suspect there is a thermostat that isn't sending the proper signal.

We have used it by repeatedly running the preheat, but it needs sorting or replacing, so it's a shame Sharp no longer support or offer it.

DavidJ

Visit site
I’m looking at removing a 500mm wide washing machine to fit an oven. I was looking at the Smev unit and I will look at getting a pot drawer built in below it.
I have a generator but I prefer using gas for cooking and I like having an oven.
Is the Smev Oven & Grill any good?
Must admit I am disappointed by the Smev oven..Takes ages to heat up and never seems to reach temperature for say a shop bought lasagne.
SWMBO did bake a cake once……just once!

Dino

Visit site
That’s good to know, I think I’ll look into the Thetford/Spinflo Midi Prima models instead.
I’m a big fan of an oven dinner on the boat, very handy while travelling

Must admit I am disappointed by the Smev oven..Takes ages to heat up and never seems to reach temperature for say a shop bought lasagne.
SWMBO did bake a cake once……just once!

russ

Visit site
It maybe my post on the Sealine form and FB on replacing my gas oven with the above mentioned Panasonic combi oven. Great addition and fit. Vented above and below and has performed well.

Tried posting a photo of mine fitted but when trying to post photos I see notifications saying there could be a browser issue. No idea?

DavidJ

Visit site
It maybe my post on the Sealine form and FB on replacing my gas oven with the above mentioned Panasonic combi oven. Great addition and fit. Vented above and below and has performed well.

Tried posting a photo of mine fitted but when trying to post photos I see notifications saying there could be a browser issue. No idea?
Being a Sealine owner I’m really keen to see a pic.……keep trying please

billskip

Visit site

Photo needs resizing...

DavidJ

Visit site
Hope you don’t mind I’ve reproduced a page maybe yours. Looks great and £600 new.

9-F8-CD42-B-0-D1-D-45-FA-A207-E91-ACFA641-E0.png

Last edited: