Repeated topics of conversation and debates

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Just for interest, there are some topics that appear over and over again, for the right reasons; the most frequently repeated and debated topics on this forum are:

Types of Anchors
Two stroke vs Four stroke outboards
Forms of heating
Long keels vs Fin vs Twin
Wide & flat Hull vs narrow & deep
Blue water vs Med cruising boats
Yachting after Brexit
Traditional Navigation vs Chartplotters
Tiller vs Wheel
Motorboats antagonising sailboats
Lobster pots
Rules of the road

When all fails and we get bored, the topics above will guarantee to raise the temperature and to provide fresh arguments to keep us going.

dom

Visit site
You also forgot A22s vs IMOCA, In-mast vs. Slab reefing, Snuffers vs. Letterbox Drops, Old and Pongy vs. New, AIS vs. Radar....

...and OMG 1-2-Both switches, the biggest source of disputes before Brexit came along! ?

Zarro

www.scottgrayproperties.com
My father always said "Read the question before answering" and as Captain Fantastic said "some of the topics" he did not "forget" any of them. The menace of jet skis is really covered by "motorboats antagonising sailboats" although I seem to remember another thread asking if jet skis are classified as boats.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
My father always said "Read the question before answering" and as Captain Fantastic said "some of the topics" he did not "forget" any of them. The menace of jet skis is really covered by "motorboats antagonising sailboats" although I seem to remember another thread asking if jet skis are classified as boats.

Well if it floats plus moves ok its surely a BOAT ?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
My father always said "Read the question before answering" and as Captain Fantastic said "some of the topics" he did not "forget" any of them.

You didn't you read 'the question' carefully enough, then: he didn't actually ask a question at all! :LOL:

He claimed 'the most frequently repeated and debated topics on this forum are. . .' and that these 'will guarantee to raise the temperature and to provide fresh arguments to keep us going'.

Others may well wish to disagree about those claims, but I think most just took the cue from his opening, 'Just for interest' to have a bit of light hearted banter about actual and imagined regular topics and how heated people can get about them.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Utterly bizarre isn't it?! I wonder why this has never been been subject to judicial review?
Local harbour authorities can impose rules on them, Littlehampton certainly issues fines and I believe confiscates the offending toys, and Peel Ports in the Medway have done some fining as well, but the whole situation needs totally gripping by the MCA. Weakness and inconsistency is bad for everyone.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Departure @ first light from inside berth using bowthrusters and folding propellors whilst performing the dawn radio check using cockpit speakers, mast tannoy instructions to the foredeck crew and lockmaster....
Vs
Warping out of mudberth at falsedawn using nowt but a punt pole and anchor drudge whilst semaphoring ones silent intentions to foredeck crew and tops’l halyard amid an early morning audience of over-the-side pee-ers , cockpit bottle users and gurgling electric WCs..sipping tea out of a MAT ( manky auld teapot ) or quaffing from designer coffee plugin..
Choices choices

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Strange decision; if a Jetski is not a "boat"; what is it?

It is strange, but the court had to make its decision whether a jetski met the definition of (IIRC) 'a vessel' in the (IIRC) Merchant Shipping Act (which actually covers pleasure craft, too). That definition was something to the effect of 'something floaty that is navigated . . .'. The court took that view that jetskis aren't 'navigated', they just thrash around hither and thither. The court would presumably have had regard to any definition of 'navigation' in the Act, and any previous court decisions on what 'navigate' means.

The Government is aware of the problem, having been lobbied by the RYA, local authorities and others, but, for reasons I don't understand, have chosen not to bother to amend the Merchant Shipping Act to ensure it includes jet skis. They have simply issued guidance reminding harbour and local authorities that they have the power to make bye-laws for their areas which include jet skis (because those bye-laws are not limited to the Merchant Shipping Act definitions).

Last edited:

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Departure @ first light from inside berth using bowthrusters and folding propellors whilst performing the dawn radio check using cockpit speakers, mast tannoy instructions to the foredeck crew and lockmaster....
Vs
Warping out of mudberth at falsedawn using nowt but a punt pole and anchor drudge whilst semaphoring ones silent intentions to foredeck crew and tops’l halyard amid an early morning audience of over-the-side pee-ers , cockpit bottle users and gurgling electric WCs..sipping tea out of a MAT ( manky auld teapot ) or quaffing from designer coffee plugin..
Choices choices
:):)