Repairing Dubarry Boots

Ehecatl

Visit site
I have got a pair that I purchased 15 years ago and the soles had completely warn through. I had gaffer taped them up a few times but was contemplating purchasing a new pair but I descovered that they do a referb service so I sent them back and for, I think £50 were resoled and relined and came back looking and smelling like new.

That was last summer, have things changed??

I had the same somw while ago, they did a first class job but can only do this on the older style boots

Boathook

Visit site
Have you asked any local shoe repairers? Regardless of what you've been told, it might be possible to shave down to a flat surface and glue on a proprietary sole unit.

I had that done to my Quayside fabric 'shorty' boots when the existing sole became hard and slippery. The replacement stuck on sole worked well for a while but has also now gone hard. Best long lasting boots I have had, are the Musto M1? made out of a soft 'plastic' with what appears suckers on the sole. they still work well but not breathable. I suspect that Musto gave up making them as the plastic was bad for the environment / sales !!

Shuggy

Visit site
I had the Goretex delamination issue. I now have Orca Bay boots. Cheaper and better (although they look awful!).

Goldie

Visit site

Posted by TimfromMersea 2 May 2021:

If your prized leather Dubarry, Henri-Lloyd, etc boots have soles that have become hard and slippery, or soles that have just crumbled away, then these people -East Coast based, of course! - can help:-

Dubarry Repairs - Repairs for Dubarry boots, shoe, coats and bags | Sport & Leisure Boot Repairs

i have just had my Henri-Lloyd Shadow boots resoled by them. The old sole was crumbling away and the boots were too slippery to wear on deck. They have completely replaced the soles with new Italian Vibram marine non slip soles. I tested them today on the boat and the grip is wonderful on both wet and dry decks. I’m really pleased with the repair.

Not a cheap service - my repair was £85 including return postage- but of course the Government‘s cut of that is £16 or so! - and a lot cheaper than new boots.

I can thoroughly recommend this service and of course I have no connection with the company other than as a customer.

andyc352

Visit site
Have finally (after 2 weeks of chasing!) been told by Dubarry that they can’t repair the soles to my Dubarry sailing boots. They have had very little wear and the sole is coming away. They also said no cobbler in the U.K. can put a sole on them. Very disappointed as they weren’t cheap, seems such a waste to just put them in the bin. Anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?
I had the same problem. My boots are oldish but very little wear to the soles. An Irish friend took my boots back to the factory only to be told the couldn’t repair them as the soles are glued on. He took them to a nearby cobbler who has fitted new soles for €65. I’ve not had them back yet so not sure how good they’ll be now but very disappointed with Dubarry. I’ll not be buying their boots again.

skipster

Visit site
Well here's my boot. And the same thing happened to my sailing buddy 2 weeks later: one week into a trip to the Azores in a Contessa 32, the sole of my Dubarry Ultima boot abruptly detached itself. No warning at all. Boots were unusable so I had a further 8 days sailing (2 handed, close hauled) in deck shoes. I figured I was unlucky. Then exactly the same thing happened to my sailing mate on his trip home. So that's two sets of top-of-the-range Dubarry sailing boots that shed their soles in a matter of weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_9006.JPG
    IMG_9006.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

Adios

Visit site
Well here's my boot. And the same thing happened to my sailing buddy 2 weeks later: one week into a trip to the Azores in a Contessa 32, the sole of my Dubarry Ultima boot abruptly detached itself. No warning at all. Boots were unusable so I had a further 8 days sailing (2 handed, close hauled) in deck shoes. I figured I was unlucky. Then exactly the same thing happened to my sailing mate on his trip home. So that's two sets of top-of-the-range Dubarry sailing boots that shed their soles in a matter of weeks.
My cynical side wonders if the brand is being sabotaged. They moved manufacturing to Portugal where they make very similar boots for other brands. Its just too strange that this keeps happening and only seemingly to this brand. Its definitely enough to put people off buying them.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
My cynical side wonders if the brand is being sabotaged. They moved manufacturing to Portugal where they make very similar boots for other brands. Its just too strange that this keeps happening and only seemingly to this brand. Its definitely enough to put people off buying them.
Well I’ve just sent mine off to Leeds. I’ll be interested to see what the £130 repair looks like. The boots had been unused for 18 months, when I put them on the soles had gone hard and shiny, and one was delaminating quite radically.

Just in case; what are the favourite alternatives?

Adios

Visit site
Well I’ve just sent mine off to Leeds. I’ll be interested to see what the £130 repair looks like. The boots had been unused for 18 months, when I put them on the soles had gone hard and shiny, and one was delaminating quite radically.

Just in case; what are the favourite alternatives?
Not sure on alternatives. I have still ok dubarrys which i'm anxiously avoiding getting near things, washing, drying and storing as carefully as possible but without knowing the problem its hard to know what to avoid. Can you think of anything that might have contributed during that 18 months? Stored in a cool dry place?

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Not sure on alternatives. I have still ok dubarrys which i'm anxiously avoiding getting near things, washing, drying and storing as carefully as possible but without knowing the problem its hard to know what to avoid. Can you think of anything that might have contributed during that 18 months? Stored in a cool dry place?
Yes rinsed, dried and stored in a cool dry place. The sole started coming off almost as soon as I put them on, so I think the adhesive foam must have degraded while in the cupboard, as well as the soles going hard and shiny. Fingers crossed

Adios

Visit site
Yellow Dunlop sailing boots - 7 pairs for the cost of a pair of Dubarrys and a couple of pairs or so for the cost of repair. Way more street cred. Go on, freak out the Vice Commodore in charge of dress code!
The main thing is to get the socks right. I found big thick mohair socks fantastic for wellies. Still keep warm even with a bit of sweat or dampness. No need for breathable boots then.

Shuggy

Visit site
Likewise, though I don't mind the look. They got a good test on the RTI and passed with flying colours.
Thread resurrection special. I had three pairs of Orca Bays after that post and they all leaked. I went back to Dubarry last summer.