Repairing Dubarry Boots

madian2

Visit site
Have finally (after 2 weeks of chasing!) been told by Dubarry that they can’t repair the soles to my Dubarry sailing boots. They have had very little wear and the sole is coming away. They also said no cobbler in the U.K. can put a sole on them. Very disappointed as they weren’t cheap, seems such a waste to just put them in the bin. Anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

temptress

gbr195t.com
Have finally (after 2 weeks of chasing!) been told by Dubarry that they can’t repair the soles to my Dubarry sailing boots. They have had very little wear and the sole is coming away. They also said no cobbler in the U.K. can put a sole on them. Very disappointed as they weren’t cheap, seems such a waste to just put them in the bin. Anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

We have had the same problem and experience with Dubarry boots. Both SWMBO and I. I will never buy Dubarry again. Thier quality and customer service has become very poor.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
A well know problem. How old are they?

You will find few of the manufactures are able to repair any of their own kit, it is just not cost effective. Sadly, we as customers suffer.

Topcat47

Visit site
Dubarry gave me a great deal on a new pair when I also had a problem. although my problem was failure of the Goretex lining.

hisw

www.araminta.org.uk
I have got a pair that I purchased 15 years ago and the soles had completely warn through. I had gaffer taped them up a few times but was contemplating purchasing a new pair but I descovered that they do a referb service so I sent them back and for, I think £50 were resoled and relined and came back looking and smelling like new.

That was last summer, have things changed??

Topcat47

Visit site
I have got a pair that I purchased 15 years ago and the soles had completely warn through. I had gaffer taped them up a few times but was contemplating purchasing a new pair but I descovered that they do a referb service so I sent them back and for, I think £50 were resoled and relined and came back looking and smelling like new.

It depends on when they were bought. Newer stuff is not repairable.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

ditto.

wully1

Visit site
The only reason I bought Dubarry was the fact they could be repaired and mine have been once, and a very good job they did too.
The new versions can’t be re soled so I won’t be buying them when my current boots wear out.

They cheapened their once excellent product ,but still charge premium prices , by moving production to a cheap labour country and I for one will not support that. Still wouldn’t even if they’d reduced the cost of the boots in line with the savings they made.

[3889]

Visit site
You will find few of the manufactures are able to repair any of their own kit, it is just not cost effective. Sadly, we as customers suffer.

Perhaps not but Musto replaced my failed boots on the basis of photos. No need to return the originals.
Do I detect a theme of companies who once offered exemplary customer service wising up to the cost, and perhaps the abuse, of their largesse. That's been my experience with Garmin and Memory Map.

wully1

Visit site
Do you know when this change was made? Is there a visual clue as to which sole is fitted, old (repairable) or new (disposable)?

Mine are around 10 years old, maybe a bit less.

if the soles as actually stitched on then they can be repaired, glued on soles cannot as far as I recall. Give them a call at their Irish factory to check.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
Yes! mine were repaired by Dubarry for £49 about 6 years ago and the sole is deep stitched! Would I buy another pair? at 76 I think this pair will see me out!:encouragement:

madian2

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for replies. My boots are around 10 years old, and as someone mentioned they changed the way they were made and mine unfortunately cannot be repaired. Poor customer service didn’t help with my frustrations, also disappointing ethics in these days of recycle and re-wear etc that we are told to just put them in the bin when the soles fail. Very poor all round by Dubarry.

penberth3

Visit site
...told by Dubarry that they can’t repair the soles to my Dubarry sailing boots. They have had very little wear and the sole is coming away. They also said no cobbler in the U.K. can put a sole on them...

Have you asked any local shoe repairers? Regardless of what you've been told, it might be possible to shave down to a flat surface and glue on a proprietary sole unit.

madian2

Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I think it is worth going to local shoe repairers. I’ll post back on here if I have any success!

madian2

Visit site
I will give them a ring, love the fact that they can repair and rebuild - exactly what companies should be doing! Thanks for the link.

Laser310

Visit site
Dubarry gave me a great deal on a new pair when I also had a problem. although my problem was failure of the Goretex lining.

I just had them give me a brand new pair, a few weeks ago, because of the goretex delamination issue.

the soles had also come off.., but that wasn't the reason for the warranty replacement.

I am in the USA, and dealt with the USA distributor.