Renew 'P' Bracket.....Cost

James_Calvert

Visit site
It's a nasty job involving grinding out the fibreglass bonding to it on the inside. The guy who did it for me had a pressurised suit and mask on to keep the nasties away from his pink bits.

I can't recall exactly, but he then reglassed the following day and finished off with a wax gelcoat later.

We didn't actually need to replace the P bracket, just refix it. So no cost there. Also we assumed that we wouldn't need to realign the engine if the bracket was put back in exactly the original position. Which worked out ok.

So how much did it cost? As far as I recall something between £200 and £400. In 2002 I think....

Best you get a couple of quotes from people who would do the job.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There is a description and photos of my replacement of the one on a Sadler34 on my website. I think the new P-bracket cost about £250 and it took me a couple of days total to do the job. Hourly rate for a reasonable yard craftsperson £40? Makes £640 labour, so likely total not far off £1000.

Getting the old one out is just labour, so you could probably do that yourself to halve the cost.

Shiver Metimbers

Visit site
Thanks vyv, funny you mentioned this, was talking down the boatyard with a couple of guys yesterday and one mentioned looking at your web site, which I did and read your article ref above. So I had read it before your post. I only wish I had the confidence to start hacking away at something so critical.

Thank you for your post and guidance.

PhillM

Visit site
Had this done as part of the refit of Paean. Not the same cause we are old, wooden and there was some rot around. It cost me \£1250 for a professional job. Seemed expensive at the time, but it was early in the refit and I had no idea what was coming later in the refit! Anyway, decent job and it has lasted, so overall happy.