Cost of new sails for 24ft yacht

Pirx

Visit site
I'd be interested in ball-park figures for a furling genoa and a main for my Jaguar 24, also any thoughts about sailmakers who might suit.

This boat is currently on Windermere, we potter about, never go racing, and are never likely to get caught out in anything frightening, obviously.

chris-s

Visit site
To get a ballpark price checkout e-sails, Kemps outlet for standard sized mail order sails with prices online. Have had several of them and never a problem for a good general cruising sail.

ridgy

Visit site
Steve Goacher in Windermere would be the obvious choice.
I would say 2 to 2.5k based on what I have had from him previously, some.variance on cloths etc.

Beelzebub

Visit site
Steve Goacher in Windermere would be the obvious choice.
I would say 2 to 2.5k based on what I have had from him previously, some.variance on cloths etc.
Top bloke Steve Goacher. I knew him through sailing Fireballs and 505s against him. Always had the time of day to talk to anyone in the fleet, no matter how far behind him they were.

Reactions: RMC

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I paid £980 and £910 for a new Dacron furling Genoa and a 2 reef Main last year. General purpose cruising sails without anything too racy or complicated for a 24’ Foxhound masthead. Ratseys sails in Pembrokeshire. Not near you, but a price comparison nonetheless.

Daverw

Visit site
We had a new Genoa for our old 24footer 4 years ago £600 and a new for our current 29ft was £900 last year, new main this year £1600 so would expect less for yours, both from Jeckalls

lustyd

Visit site
I called Kemp sails for a ballpark recently armed only with a boat model I was buying. They were very helpful and discussed my needs and provided a quote. Not a ballpark but a quote, he said they know closely enough they can be precise on cost since most of the cost is labour so an extra half metre here or there doesn’t change much. They would of course measure if I said go ahead.

Surprisingly cheap quote too I thought, but was for a 46 footer so not useful here 😂

Marceline

Visit site
our Jaguar 24 that we bought couple of years ago came with a nice set of Jeckells sails - could be worth asking them for a quote ?

We've yet to use it but as well as main and foresail we've also got a 'Light Airs Ghoster' made by them, which when I asked them about it they helpfully replied it was a request by previous owner for a light genoa that can help with upwind sailing

Home - Jeckells The Sailmakers

Refueler

Visit site
If you are not going racing and just want a reasonable set of sails - why not check out the 2nd hand Sail sellers ? I replaced the tired genny on my 25ftr with a 2nd hand sail. It arrived in a nice sail bag .. it was clean - spotless in fact ... and looked good as new. I hoisted and it was good as gold - for about 60% the cost quoted for new.

I used these guys - only after excellent service from these guys did I note some bad comments on forums ... which did not agree with my experience with them ... they checked the sail - cleaned .. reported any defect (there were none) .. marks (small mark that was actually hard to find !! ) .... and shipped it to me promptly.

Buy Used Sails and Second Hand Sails | Quality Used Sails

I would be happy to buy from them again.

onesea

Visit site
If your just looking for basic sails don't be sold down the river.
You don't want anything fancy:
Plain old polyester/ dacron - good life expectancy
Partial battens - cheaper & lighter, (maybe full top batten),
Cross cut - Cheaper and good life span,
Loose footed main - if your bin is suitable,

I would only pay extra for a foam strip on headsail too help with shape when reefed.

Decide on the number of reefing points, on the main.

However when it comes to making, I would suggest you get prices. From who ever, you choose.

You can get basic quotes from the size of your present sails. Those measurements don't need to be exact within 10cm??

However the measurements to make the sails probably make the biggest difference to sail set. So unless very expensive I would go with local sail marker or cheapest sail maker that can measure the cost in person.

Unless you are very confident in measurements.

Refueler

Visit site
The only item to do with measurement I caution on :

If a furling genny - make sure luff is long enough to get the halyard angle correct ... my 25 has a small block and line to mast front to cure the short luff ... my 38 has a pendant to correct the 20cm shortness of luff ...
Both furlers if I don't have those 'correctors' will halyard wrap every time.

Every other measurement - even mainsail foot can be 'near enough' and be fine.

Loose foot ?? Not a feature I like ... I prefer a foot in slotted boom.

lustyd

Visit site
Bear in mind that 2017 is a loooooong time ago in terms of the economy. Materials (probably 2x) and labour (probably 1.5x) are both substantially higher than they were then. I'd say today that would be £700-£1000

Refueler

Visit site
Bear in mind that 2017 is a loooooong time ago in terms of the economy. Materials (probably 2x) and labour (probably 1.5x) are both substantially higher than they were then. I'd say today that would be £700-£1000

I asked for quote on a budget genny - just for cruising .... 1200 euros. Boat 25ft motor sailer ... so sail probably not much more than OP ..