Remote control docking aid

Kubcat

Visit site
An advertisement came up the other day on if I wanted to know more about Yacht Controllers and I clicked yes.

Apparently it is $20,000 Australian dollars, or €12,500 for a remote with anchor control being extra.

After I recovered, I started thinking of making my own.

I just completed a remote for the swim platform that works perfectly, so am full of confidence.

Then I remembered the boat next to me ripped off their swim platform when their Yacht Controller would not disengage backing into the slip.

Then I also remembered when I picked up my boat, an identical boat to mine did a similar thing, also due to a Yacht Controller apparently not disengaging.

So I decided if I make my own wireless remote, I don’t want to operate the gearboxes. Easy enough to do as they have shift solenoids but in my opinion too risky.

I do have a ZF wired remote for backing into the slip but that doesn’t help in tying up single handed.

So, the current thinking is to come in with the wired remote, tie one stern line and then use a wireless remote to operate the thrusters to keep the boat against the dock.

That should make it reasonably easy to operate single handed.

If the thrusters don’t disengage, there will be less damage than if my boat got stuck in gear.

The boat is a Sunseeker 64 with bow and stern thrusters.

Any feedback or suggestions?

Wavey

Visit site
If you just want wireless remote control of bow and stern thrusters then you don't need to spend a fortune, have a look at the sleipner remote controls

SLEIPNER SIDE POWER RC-23E Thruster & Windlass Bow/Stern Radio Control Kit | eBay

I have this on my boat, works well, control bow thruster and anchor winch on mine.
You don’t even have to spend that much. There are non branded equivalents on eBay for much less. I have them on my current boat and the two previous ones and they’ve always worked faultlessly.

Fire99

Visit site
I wired a remote control to my bow thruster for about 15 quid using a remote kit for a winch from amazon/ebay (one or the other)..
Just wired in power to the receiver and hooked the up wire to port and down wire to stbd wires on the bow thruster. Has worked great for the past 2 years and when single handing it's really handy when I tie up to keep the bow in.

I still power on the bow thruster from the helm stations but the rest can be from the remote.

Kubcat

Visit site

Kubcat

Visit site
Thank you for the advice.

Okay, ebay winch remote ordered as it is a low cost option that will let me know if it works for me.

If I like it but have issues or want a prettier remote, I will order the Sleipner remote.

Will update once installed.

Gustywinds

Visit site
If you just want wireless remote control of bow and stern thrusters then you don't need to spend a fortune, have a look at the sleipner remote controls

SLEIPNER SIDE POWER RC-23E Thruster & Windlass Bow/Stern Radio Control Kit | eBay

I have this on my boat, works well, control bow thruster and anchor winch on mine.
I also have this, on bow and stern plus anchor. Works well but I wish I could control engine (just in and out of gear would do). May have to resort to the Dockmate at some point but it is a lot of money!

Gustywinds

Visit site
I don’t want to operate the gearboxes. Easy enough to do as they have shift solenoids but in my opinion too risky.
Why so? The Dockmate and Yachtmaster do this and I was wondering if there was a simple way of doing it myself. I’ve been practicing docking solo mainly in anticipation of doing locks in France and the hardest bit is killing speed. The engine is a 370hp Volvopenta and even at tickover has plenty of pull. I have a wireless MOB kill switch and have had to use that but the lock keepers don’t like you switching engine off so it’s not a good solution