Remake "Riddle of the Sands"!

Interested in a "Riddle of the Sands" remake?

• Love it as a 4 part drama serial

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Love to see a new full length movie

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Frankly, not really bothered

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters

Seagreen

Visit site
I'm starting a movement to persuade someone in TV land to do as stated in the title.

Being a bit of a fan of the book, I'd love to see a 3 or 4 part drama serial shown on cold winter nights. However well cast the movie was, and McCorquordale, Agutter and York were very good, the treatment suffered from too small a budget and too short a running time.

So who's with me? Anyone interested?

Last edited:

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
great idea

I'm starting a movement to persuade someone in TV land to do as stated in the title.

Being a bit of a fan of the book, I'd love to see a 3 or 4 part drama serial shown on cold winter nights. However well cast the movie was, and McCorquordale, Agutter and York were very good, the treatment suffered from too small a budget and too short a running time.

you can count me and Ron Hopeful as backers

send me your bank account details and we will transfer seed money as soon as the postal order arrives from aunty

seriously though.... its a great book

really hard to film

how long would you have to wait for the right weather conditions for filming it though

really, really tough gig

D

chinita

Visit site

With you as long as the cast is Robbie Coltrane, Jack Dee and Dawn French. Filmed, of course, in black and white.

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
Tried to watch the re-make of 'Alfie'. Couldn't manage more than a few minutes.
Classics are classics: The Italian Job; Mutiny on the Bounty (Laughton); Riddle of the Sands; The Railway Children; etc. Not sure exactly why some films become iconic, but they do. Best left that way, imho.

Could always try 'Riddle of the Sands 2' of course, that way you won't be faced with such a direct comparison. With Jenny A as the young gal's mutter, perhaps ?

DanTribe

Visit site
It could be a very good TV serial as long as the scriptwriters don't do their usual tricks of changing the story completely, adding in some car chases and drug smuggling gangs and lots of sex. Actually, some sex scenes might be a good idea.[But not between Davies & Carruthers please!].
Fans of Riddle of the sands might also like Shadow in the Sands by Sam Llewellyn, a sort of sequel. I enjoyed it and it sort of tries to tie up some loose ends.

DanTribe

Visit site
I'd happily play Davies, if Nicole Kidman could play Carruthers, and a bit of gratuitous full-on rumpy-pumpy could be written into the script.

Of course, there'd have to be a no body-doubles clause.

But could you cope with " Cut. Let's go again. Take 29"? :D

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
lots of bouys gone from the Wash

The Wash has lost quite a few bouys since 2006

the back-up Reeds mentions bouys that have already gone

so I assume the channels through the sands on the other side of the North Sea have also lost a few

Dylan

Seagreen

Visit site
Apart from the usual sailing ambitions, doing the "Riddle" route has been my top sailing ambition for the last 10 years. And when (rather than if) I make the time away from work, I shall definitely be doing a Baltic cruise, and start at Flensburg and make my way back home via the canal and the Riddle spots. BTW, this is called "bookmapping" and there's a bloke on YouTube who's done this, but not via a boat.
And yes, I'd love to take Cleone (being an old gaff yawl) on that trip except she doesn't dry out well, except at 45 degrees, and I'll not do that on an exposed sandbar. She has legs, but that's a whole other story, as my insurers will tell you. :)/)

Also, I believe the whole of the Scharhorn bank area is now a nature reserve and you need special permission to go that way and anchoring ist verboten. But yes, I'd love to do a Dylan and film the trip, even to rowing from Nordeney to Memmert.

robp

Visit site
I'd happily play Davies, if Nicole Kidman could play Carruthers, and a bit of gratuitous full-on rumpy-pumpy could be written into the script.

Of course, there'd have to be a no body-doubles clause.

I wish I could do a Harold Steptoe accent in print. :)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I wonder if the buoyage is better or worse now?

Pete

We motored the route of the 'rowing through the fog' chapter in pouring rain and F5 -6 on the nose, 2002. The buoyage is remarkably good, with red/green buoys in the always wet parts and withies in the rest.

The first photo shows the withies and the second shows depth beneath the keel about an hour before high water.

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I would love to see a film of the same journey done in a similar sized boat and with some-one using just the navigational aids childers would have known about

Dylan

This is how we navigated it. I have never used so many waypoints in such a short distance on any other passage, but I was very glad I had done so in the weather we had.

DSC01214.jpg