Reliable seller of used climbing rope?

Irish Rover

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a reliable seller of good quality used climbing rope preferably in NI but anywhere in UK who would ship to NI. I want to use it to make a snubber bridle and dock lines.

lustyd

Visit site
You'd be better off buying new nylon rope. Used climbing rope will have had the stretch worked out of it, hence people don't want to climb with it.

Reactions: Obi

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
I will buy most things secondhand but that is something I would think twice about ......for climbing. Is there a market for secondhand climbing rope?

When we first started sailing a friend of mine worked for a roped access company and had some retired lines in his boot that he let me have. I think they were Kevlar sheathed, they were certainly the most used ropes on the boat and whilst one failed due to severe chafe the rest went with the boat when we sold it 20 years later. You could try roped access companies but I think there may be a disinclination to supply used to the public because of the liability aspect.

Neeves

Visit site
If you are using the retired rope as a snubber or bridle than the fall back if the snubber fails Is:

The chain.

There is no significant risk - and if you buy new nylon or a new climbing rope it will age and wear (usually unseen) it will fail - snubbers and bridles are consumables.

Go to a commercial climbing gym and explain what you want the rope for, explain how it is used to assure them there is no risk when properly used. Underline you are not using it for height safety.

They may then set asside some rope for you.

Here they retire ropes and leave them in a big pile. When the pile gets too big - they go to land fill (taking 100s of years to be destroyed). Some here are used for load restraint on pick up trucks and a variety of non life threatening applications.

They make excellent snubbers as they seldom are retired because they have taken a major fall (how can you have a major fall in a climbing gym?). They are retired to a timed usage schedule. They may be a little furry where they were belayed - but other wise are almost perfect for the job, snubbers or mooring lines.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Climbing rope makes an excellent snubber, bridle, mooring rope or tow warp. It is built to be elastic and the outer sheath is designed to be abrasion resistant. It is difficult to knot, it lacks tactility, and would not be secure on small horn cleats. I have been using sewn eyes, but you can sew your own and originally I used a halyard knot. The latter is secure - but large, clumsy, after prolonged use is impossible to undo - and I have cut the knot off. Sewn eyes work well and I secure the other end in a clutch and/or round a sheet winch.

Most (all?) climbing gyms seem to use 12/13mm rope (in Australia) and we have found them a bit big, not enough elasticity, for our 38' x 22'6" beam, 7t cat and we now use 10mm climbing rope (aka kernmantle). We started off using 15m rope retired rope found gyms with higher walls and moved to 30m lengths and then bought new 30m lengths first 12mm and then 10mm with sewn eyes. For smaller yachts, 25'-30' I'd be suggesting 8mm. We leave the ropes installed with the tail stored at the transom in a sheet bag. Normally we use simply a deck length + a little bit forward of the bow - but can extend the bridle if the conditions are a bit more taxing (using a clutch and sheet winch makes this easy).

The practice is well accepted by those who have actually tried it (Starzinger on Hawk being the most well known). If you are sceptical read Starzingers back ground before you want to argue in public. Having read his exploits feel free to question. If you cannot recycle it seems criminal to retire and then effectively scrap and send to land fill when you still have a useful life. (Its a bit like banning free polythene bags in a supermarket but then selling them for the same purpose as they were given away). Its an issue someone with stronger environmental beliefs might like to pick up. If you cannot find a free source - and be environmentally friendly - then buy.

Adjustable Snubber Bridle and Chain Hook - Practical Sailor

We carry spare ropes, snubbers do age and fail, which we can use as replacement snubbers or as mooring lines. However as we seldom, like once every 3 years, use a marina our knowledge of use as a mooring line is very limited.

Jonathan

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Can anyone recommend a reliable seller of good quality used climbing rope preferably in NI but anywhere in UK who would ship to NI. I want to use it to make a snubber bridle and dock lines.

The short answer is .... no.

The climbing rope I have used was retired from ice climbing, often with few or no falls, generarlly because of nicks (from ice axes and crampons). I knew the history and just cut the bad spots. My rock climbing ropes, on the other hand, typically get retired from lead climbing to top roping, and when they are retired from top roping they are quite fuzzy, but still very little UV.

A flier at the local crag or inquiry to a club might work. Many climbers are paranoid and retire ropes very young, but they don't get rid of them ... unless they get an offer.

The liability for a reseller would be silly.

Perhaps a climbing seller that sells short lengths, or arborist suppluy by-the-foot.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
The short answer is .... no.

The climbing rope I have used was retired from ice climbing, often with few or no falls, generarlly because of nicks (from ice axes and crampons). I knew the history and just cut the bad spots. My rock climbing ropes, on the other hand, typically get retired from lead climbing to top roping, and when they are retired from top roping they are quite fuzzy, but still very little UV.

A flier at the local crag or inquiry to a club might work. Many climbers are paranoid and retire ropes very young, but they don't get rid of them ... unless they get an offer.

The liability for a reseller would be silly.

Perhaps a climbing seller that sells short lengths, or arborist suppluy by-the-foot.

……I am reminded of an advertisement that ran in U.K. climbing magazines back in the mid 1980’s with the caption: If you are not careful, your rope will last you a lifetime”

Neeves

Visit site
I will buy most things secondhand but that is something I would think twice about ......for climbing. Is there a market for secondhand climbing rope?

When we first started sailing a friend of mine worked for a roped access company and had some retired lines in his boot that he let me have. I think they were Kevlar sheathed, they were certainly the most used ropes on the boat and whilst one failed due to severe chafe the rest went with the boat when we sold it 20 years later. You could try roped access companies but I think there may be a disinclination to supply used to the public because of the liability aspect.

If they were kevlar sheathed they would have been inelastic.

The problem is - sale, money changing hands, results in a responsibility and thus liability. An offer to support the tea or Xmas party fund is a better option.

It seems that to remove doubt UK climbing gyms are not given the option to be environmentally responsible - but if you can appear honest, credible and explain the application - maybe.........?

These are my 10mm x 30m ropes with sewn eyes. Thinwater is correct, splicing is a challenge (though Google offers a serious of You Tube options, but sewing offers a solution. The eye can be any size you want. The rope maker sewed the eyes for me, I cut one eye off.
IMG_4719.jpeg

and secured to a pad eye, installed for the bowsprit and suitably reinforced
IMG_4763.jpeg

and the bigger picture
IMG_4747.jpeg

Note the improvement in scope that the assembly provides.......???

Jonathan

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpeg
    IMG_4719.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 0

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Climbing rope makes an excellent snubber, bridle, mooring rope or tow warp. It is built to be elastic and the outer sheath is designed to be abrasion resistant. It is difficult to knot, it lacks tactility, and would not be secure on small horn cleats. I have been using sewn eyes, but you can sew your own and originally I used a halyard knot. The latter is secure - but large, clumsy, after prolonged use is impossible to undo - and I have cut the knot off. Sewn eyes work well and I secure the other end in a clutch and/or round a sheet winch.

Most (all?) climbing gyms seem to use 12/13mm rope (in Australia) and we have found them a bit big, not enough elasticity, for our 38' x 22'6" beam, 7t cat and we now use 10mm climbing rope (aka kernmantle). We started off using 15m rope retired rope found gyms with higher walls and moved to 30m lengths and then bought new 30m lengths first 12mm and then 10mm with sewn eyes. For smaller yachts, 25'-30' I'd be suggesting 8mm. We leave the ropes installed with the tail stored at the transom in a sheet bag. Normally we use simply a deck length + a little bit forward of the bow - but can extend the bridle if the conditions are a bit more taxing (using a clutch and sheet winch makes this easy).

The practice is well accepted by those who have actually tried it (Starzinger on Hawk being the most well known). If you are sceptical read Starzingers back ground before you want to argue in public. Having read his exploits feel free to question. If you cannot recycle it seems criminal to retire and then effectively scrap and send to land fill when you still have a useful life. (Its a bit like banning free polythene bags in a supermarket but then selling them for the same purpose as they were given away). Its an issue someone with stronger environmental beliefs might like to pick up. If you cannot find a free source - and be environmentally friendly - then buy.

Adjustable Snubber Bridle and Chain Hook - Practical Sailor

We carry spare ropes, snubbers do age and fail, which we can use as replacement snubbers or as mooring lines. However as we seldom, like once every 3 years, use a marina our knowledge of use as a mooring line is very limited.

Jonathan
Please forgive the thread drift, but here in Ireland, where we were the first country to ban free plastic bags, the charge applied to them is a tax levied by the Government, not just a commercial charge. Other countries may have got the wrong end of the stick, and allowed retailers to just sell them commercially, with only VAT or similar sales tax going to state revenues.

jimi

Visit site
Rope from a climbing gym is used for top roping and therefor is not as stretchy as normal lead climbing rope. Your best option is a pal who does sport climbing who has an old sport rope:) modern trad ropes are very thin. I’ve got a couple I could be persuaded to chop up into 10 m lengths and send for the cost of the postage and a small donation to either the RNLI or your local mountain rescue team ?

Neeves

Visit site
Rope from a climbing gym is used for top roping and therefor is not as stretchy as normal lead climbing rope. Your best option is a pal who does sport climbing who has an old sport rope:) modern trad ropes are very thin. I’ve got a couple I could be persuaded to chop up into 10 m lengths and send for the cost of the postage and a small donation to either the RNLI or your local mountain rescue team ?

That's a good offer. You need to define what size of rope, diameter, you are suggesting to send.

Jonathan