Relaunch after 4 months

SimonFa

Visit site
Venezia was hoisted out at the beginning of December for its annual 6 weeks on the hard.

She was due for relaunch the 1st week of lockdown but I persuaded Boatfolk to leave her ashore because I'd had some work done on the sail drive and I and the mechanic who did it needed to be there.

When lockdown was announced I nipped down and disconnected the batteries and left the mains connected with a heater with a cold weather sensor on, but didn't get anything else done as it was late at night.

Is there anything specific I should look at before relaunch? Obviously oil, gearbox, coolant, sea cocks and a general review of the hull, but anything else anyone recommends?

pvb

Visit site
Is there anything specific I should look at before relaunch? Obviously oil, gearbox, coolant, sea cocks and a general review of the hull, but anything else anyone recommends?

If the boat's been static for 3 months, it would be a good time to drain any water from the bottom of the fuel tank. If your tank doesn't have a bottom drain (few do), you could use a Pela vacuum pump to suck out a litre or so of fuel from the bottom. Another way is to use a squeezy rubber inline pump, which is what I do.

SimonFa

Visit site
If the boat's been static for 3 months, it would be a good time to drain any water from the bottom of the fuel tank. If your tank doesn't have a bottom drain (few do), you could use a Pela vacuum pump to suck out a litre or so of fuel from the bottom. Another way is to use a squeezy rubber inline pump, which is what I do.
Good idea, thanks.

RJJ

Visit site
I routinely dose with Fuel Set, with a double-dose pre layup. Which in theory emulsifies the water content so it passes through the engine.

Never tried sucking any out. I would be interested to have a go as you describe and probably should do so.

Straightman21

Visit site
Definitely change the impeller, no sense in taking any risk of losing a blade for the sake of a few quid. I use Kolur Kut [I think that's the spelling] water revealing paste to check for any water in the bottom of the tank. works well and gives a clear and instant result, available widely.