Registering a sailboat in Portugal

marsbar

Visit site
I’m a Uk citizen but have Portuguese residency. I thinking of buying a certain sailboat. The boat is EU vat paid and has Belgium registration which the current owner will have to cancel if he sells. I would like to register it in Portugal as that is now where I live . Does anyone know how easy, difficult or expensive this would be? Has anyone had first hand experience of this? Any help, advice welcome.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Many Portuguese would like to be registered elsewhere due to the bureaucracy, some tried Dutch and after that was stopped, Poland seems to be the current flavour. In Portugal, mandatory surveys by Maritime Authority and mandatory safety equipment also, they tell you what distance you can sail off the coast, depending on classification of boat. To register, you will need the paperwork trail for the boat from new including proof VAT has been paid.

If you can appear to meet the residency rule for UK registration, I would go for SSR.

Rwc13

Visit site
I went through the process of registering a boat in Portugal about 12 months ago. You now do this via the BMar website and the boat is then subject to an inspection by the Capitania of the Marina nearest to where the boat is kept. Not particularly expensive, but time consuming as the requirements for documentation in BMar are extensive and the website not terribly user friendly. More recently I registered a boat here in Poland. Simpler and much less time consuming, and the equipment requirements are much more in line with what is actually useful to have on board for coastal use. Also, no need for inspection.

marsbar

Visit site
I went through the process of registering a boat in Portugal about 12 months ago. You now do this via the BMar website and the boat is then subject to an inspection by the Capitania of the Marina nearest to where the boat is kept. Not particularly expensive, but time consuming as the requirements for documentation in BMar are extensive and the website not terribly user friendly. More recently I registered a boat here in Poland. Simpler and much less time consuming, and the equipment requirements are much more in line with what is actually useful to have on board for coastal use. Also, no need for inspection.
Yes , the Polish registration is popular at the moment. I see they do commercial registration for the same price.
If in the future I wanted to do day charter for instance would the Portuguese allow a foreign flagged vessel for this or would they insist on Portuguese registration?

V1701

Visit site
I sold a UK registered boat in Portugal to a Portuguese national last year, last I heard he went for Polish as it was far easier. Old boat, one of the main sticking points was that it wasn't recorded anywhere what the maximum number of people that could be carried aboard was...

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Get a UK address and register on the SSR? Of course, if you have broken all ties with the UK, this could be difficult.

Will UK insurers insurer a foreign flagged vessel?

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
I sold my SSR boat to a local Portuguese man last year. He put it onto the Portuguese register. The boat was originally vat paid in France so that wasn't an issue for them. No Brexit complications fortunately.
He registered it Class 3 and that meant the inspection couldn't be done by local inspectors in the Algarve and a Lisbon inspector had to be scheduled to come down and do it. As far as I know that was the only time issue he had, it just took a few weeks longer than had he put it on a lower class.
Other issues for him were that the radio and AIS unit were both issued new "numbers". Callsign and MMSI.
This entailed him returning the radio to supplier for a re code.
The AIS unit we were able to reset and re enter the new number.
The epirb then became an issue and they said it needed recoding. Because it was due a service and battery change, he decided to scrap it and buy a new one. Not much difference in price.
Nortada - I had this ssr boat insured here in Portugal with a local insurance agent and there was no problem getting it with them. I never had to make a claim from them though. :) So he could just insure locally whatever he does registration wise I would think. Worth checking though.

WF36

Visit site
I had this ssr boat insured here in Portugal with a local insurance agent and there was no problem getting it with them.

Did the same with an SSR RIB also insured with a local company, but that was a few years ago.

Graham376

Visit site
I had this ssr boat insured here in Portugal with a local insurance agent and there was no problem getting it with them. I never had to make a claim from them though. :) So he could just insure locally whatever he does registration wise I would think. Worth checking though.

When was that, before or after 31/12? This September I asked the broker who we insure car with if he could quote for our boat insurance and he said he could no longer cover UK boats. I do know of several local boats who are still insured via him.

Graham376

Visit site
An interesting article by Martin Northney. Explains most of the things about importing to Portugal.
Importing a boat into Portugal

I've been looking at costs for a mate who's considering buying an old 34 ft powerboat in UK and transporting to Portugal and trying to talk him out of it. Being resident, TA doesn't apply so, 25% VAT and duty, £8k - £10k transport cost and then rcd compliance which could entail new engines to meet current emission regs.

greeny

Visit site
When was that, before or after 31/12? This September I asked the broker who we insure car with if he could quote for our boat insurance and he said he could no longer cover UK boats. I do know of several local boats who are still insured via him.
I sold the boat in April this year 2021 and stopped the insurance at that time. November was the renewal date and it had been insured with them for the previous 2 years. Prior to that it was with UK insurers.

greeny

Visit site
I've been looking at costs for a mate who's considering buying an old 34 ft powerboat in UK and transporting to Portugal and trying to talk him out of it. Being resident, TA doesn't apply so, 25% VAT and duty, £8k - £10k transport cost and then rcd compliance which could entail new engines to meet current emission regs.
Surely the cost of transport, vat, import tax at 2% and then the hassle and cost of portuguese inspections would be enough to make him see sense. Never mind the threat of new engines.
I've just bought an small ssr sailing boat here and being resident intend to put it on the Pt register. Hopefully I can avoid the vat with the original receipt and proof it was here on B day. I'll still have to pay the 2 % import though along with inspection costs. Not too bad overall. Boat was a reasonable price to buy and it's what I wanted.

Sepharad

Visit site
When the Registrar at the Captinea office said "only crazy people register their boats in Portugal", I asked why. When she explained the multiple and ongoing issues with a Portuguese registry, including AGE BASED restrictions and requirements, I listened to her.

srm

Visit site
Will UK insurers insurer a foreign flagged vessel?
Don't know but my Portuguese insurance broker has done me very affordable 3rd party cover on my UK reg boat. However, an Australian friend found Pat. . . .us (sorry not sure of spelling) expensive for his Aussie reg catamaran so on renewal took him to my brokers. Even cheaper than mine as a smaller engine. However, only covered in Portugal - we did not enquire for further away as not needed at moment.

As to PT registration - advice I have had from locals with PT registrations is DONT.

greeny

Visit site
Don't know but my Portuguese insurance broker has done me very affordable 3rd party cover on my UK reg boat. However, an Australian friend found Pat. . . .us (sorry not sure of spelling) expensive for his Aussie reg catamaran so on renewal took him to my brokers. Even cheaper than mine as a smaller engine. However, only covered in Portugal - we did not enquire for further away as not needed at moment.

As to PT registration - advice I have had from locals with PT registrations is DONT.
I didn't. I stayed SSR. :) My RIB is Portuguese registered and I came to my senses before changing the veleiro over.

Reactions: srm