Regarding Schengen visa...this is a tricky one to answer..

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I'm UK national and I have Greek residency....let's say next year I DRIVE to my boat in Greece and go sailing for 3 or 4 months....
When and how can I drive back ....
How would it work with Schengen rules ....90 in 90 out.
Seen all the other threads, but I think one thing is missing:
Whilst you are in Greece the clock stops for the duration of your residency. So stay for 4 months in Greece and take 1.5 months to go out and 1.5 months to come back....

However, EU law is not clear and is on conflict perhaps, because nowhere is it stated that the clock stops as it is a schengen country.

Also to be considered:
Limit for UK and any EU state in another EU state, ie a German in Greece - has a limit under EU Customs territory law of 6 months. Greece has attempted to enforce this with a computer data base - which ironically they used in 2016 to change the TI of yachts to 6 months from 18 months, as they were going to kill 2 birds with one computer data base. - The CA got the law changed back inside 2 months with a complaint to the EU commission. :LOL:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Two separate issues. We don't yet know how the Schengen clock will be stopped whilst in country of residence, nothing seems to have been agreed yet. Your second point, 6 months IIRC, is the time an EU citizen can spend in a State without registering their presence, not a limit on how long someone can stay there.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Two separate issues. We don't yet know how the Schengen clock will be stopped whilst in country of residence, nothing seems to have been agreed yet. Your second point, 6 months IIRC, is the time an EU citizen can spend in a State without registering their presence, not a limit on how long someone can stay there.
I think Chris is counting the two 90 days which make up the six months

nortada

Visit site
My underst

My understanding is rather than 6 months an EU citizen (if not a resident in that specific country ) is required to register their presence if they intend to remain in that country for 3 or more months. As a citizen of the EU there is no limit on their length of stay in any EU country.

Must admit this 3/6 month reporting requirement is all hearsay because, to the best of my knowledge, nobody in The Algarve has been chased to register.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We spend many months some time over a couple of year in one country and never had a problem .
The only problem we personally sew ( so it's not hear say ) was in Almermar Spain when over one winter every boat in the marina was photographed including us and while we was there three boats was clobbered for tax , all British boats and all three boats owners had apartment in Spain and one was running a business from the boat .
all was based in the marina and have been for some time .
The rest of the boat must had been 30 in all never heard any more .
Many years ago I was based in Kos marina in Greece for five years the marina had just opened as it happen I was one of the first boat to have a berth there ,
It was suggested by the port police who know me quite well as in them days we had to report in for leaving and coming back as well every time we wanted to haul out and back in that it be better for me to register the boat under Greek flag , well no need to say what I through of that .

RupertW

Visit site
Right :

1. YOU have reworded my post of saying " I note that it even says that I can live and work in other EU states depending on agreement between the state that issues my residency and where I wish to work. "
... to your wording of "Would you kindly point out where in the document you pointed out say that a U.K. Citizen that holds a Latvia Residence or any other EU country resident can after 2021 have unlimited free movement in another EU member state . ? "
Not quite the same wording is it ....
As regards travel - the Office issuing my Residence - have stated I still can travel in EU freely as before.

2. I'm still trying to find where this 90/180 days is coming from that odd people are saying ... the only reference I can find to this is within "
REGULATION (EU) 2018/1806 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

of 14 November 2018"

Which as far as I can determine from the "legalese" relates to non-EU citizens and are not resident in any EU state.

For the benefit of some here ... I shall bring forward my visit to Passport / Residency Office here and get latest info ...
So to be clear, you can’t answer Vic’s question on where your linked document shows you can travel in EU freely as before, and you haven’t heard of the long-standing Schengen shuffle that non EU citizens have lived with on 90/180 for many years. Not really coming across as having any credibility do so far, are you? But at least a bloke in the passport office told you something that you think you remember.

Refueler

Visit site
So to be clear, you can’t answer Vic’s question on where your linked document shows you can travel in EU freely as before, and you haven’t heard of the long-standing Schengen shuffle that non EU citizens have lived with on 90/180 for many years. Not really coming across as having any credibility do so far, are you? But at least a bloke in the passport office told you something that you think you remember.

For simple reason as I already shown ... rewording of my post to suit HIS PoV is not valid to create the question ...

End of discussion.

RupertW

Visit site
For simple reason as I already shown ... rewording of my post to suit HIS PoV is not valid to create the question ...

End of discussion.

You said,
“And this shows the current situation - which agree with my earlier post that I will still retain travel throughout EU :

Citizens’ rights”

So where in the document you linked does it show that you will retain travel throughout the EU?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You said,
“And this shows the current situation - which agree with my earlier post that I will still retain travel throughout EU :

Citizens’ rights”

So where in the document you linked does it show that you will retain travel throughout the EU?
Rupert , just let it go there no point , let them believe what ever he wish , if nothing out of our pocket .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Seen all the other threads, but I think one thing is missing:
Whilst you are in Greece the clock stops for the duration of your residency. So stay for 4 months in Greece and take 1.5 months to go out and 1.5 months to come back....

However, EU law is not clear and is on conflict perhaps, because nowhere is it stated that the clock stops as it is a schengen country.

Also to be considered:
Limit for UK and any EU state in another EU state, ie a German in Greece - has a limit under EU Customs territory law of 6 months. Greece has attempted to enforce this with a computer data base - which ironically they used in 2016 to change the TI of yachts to 6 months from 18 months, as they were going to kill 2 birds with one computer data base. - The CA got the law changed back inside 2 months with a complaint to the EU commission. :LOL:
Error ..

In the last para near I did not put in " in respect of motor vehicles" it did not makes any sense without! Please reread.

What's wrong with this site. 50% of the the time there is a substantial delay between typing and display. Frankly it's so difficult on mobiles that I won't post any more till it is sorted..... also on laptop with good BB.

REALLY CRAP.... IMPOSSIBLE TO EDIT

THIS POST HAS TAKEN AGES!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Error ..

In the last para near I did not put in " in respect of motor vehicles" it did not makes any sense without! Please reread.

What's wrong with this site. 50% of the the time there is a substantial delay between typing and display. Frankly it's so difficult on mobiles that I won't post any more till it is sorted..... also on laptop with good BB.

REALLY CRAP.... IMPOSSIBLE TO EDIT

THIS POST HAS TAKEN AGES!
Agreed wth Chris , I complained a few times in posting but it seen who ever in change don't want to listen.
It worst for me as I am for ever making spelling mistakes and to correct each one can take forever .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Agreed wth Chris , I complained a few times in posting but it seen who ever in change don't want to listen.
It worst for me as I am for ever making spelling mistakes and to correct each one can take forever .
Time for all of us to have a blitze.
Please all post new topics on every one of the YBW sites - it will get noticed and I will be banned no doubt!

st599

Visit site
What happen when you buy a train ticket say London to Paris ,
Will they stamp your passport at the station in London , on the train or in Paris , or not at all ?

Same as happens today, you enter the French Republic in St Pancras, passing through UK and French border controls. The problem is the lack of Customs for stamping ATA Carnets etc.

make sure the boat is in EU on 31/12/2020.

Why? We left the EU on 31/1/2020. The RYA Magazine stated:
RYA Spring 2020 Magazine said:
If you own a boat and it was in the UK or EU27 at 23:00 UTC on 31 January, its Union status will not have changed as a result of the UK leaving the EU.

RobbieW

Visit site
...Why? We left the EU on 31/1/2020. The RYA Magazine stated:
The RYAs website, Brexit - what happens next? | Brexit | Current Affairs | Knowledge & Advice | RYA - Royal Yachting Association, says this...
"What status boats lying in the UK at the end of the transitional period will have, will almost certainly be determined by the arrangements for goods in general. If the free movement of goods between the UK and the EU27 ends at the end of the transitional period, the location of the boat at the time the transition period ends may be significant in determining the boat’s future status."
So whilst its still open to change, having a plan to have the boat inside the EU at the end of the transition period may be useful depending on your future plans

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
That was my belief, but that's not what the RYA have said in their latest magazine for members.

The excerpt above posted by RobbieW, states "at the end of the transition period". Technically we have left but, everything I've read on UK Gov and EU sites, plus the various forums say, everything stays as it it for this year, whilst negotiations take place.

st599

Visit site
The excerpt above posted by RobbieW, states "at the end of the transition period". Technically we have left but, everything I've read on UK Gov and EU sites, plus the various forums say, everything stays as it it for this year, whilst negotiations take place.

Indeed it does, but the more recent article in the RYA magazine doesn't.

I don't know what will happen, but the boat may have sailed on Union Goods status.