Regarding Schengen visa...this is a tricky one to answer..

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I'm UK national and I have Greek residency....let's say next year I DRIVE to my boat in Greece and go sailing for 3 or 4 months....
When and how can I drive back ....
How would it work with Schengen rules ....90 in 90 out.

I emailed the EU enquiry dept. on this point and never received a reply as no doubt it hasn't been sorted yet. Suspect they may expect us to get passports stamped on arrival and departure in country of residence to stop and restart the clock. Bit of a nonsense as when on anchor in Guadiana, we can cross to/from Spain daily, some times several times.

nortada

Visit site
Post the TP, will they introduce formal points of entry, where we have to go to enter and depart the Schengen Zone to get our passports stamped to establish a time line❓

As you observe, this will be almost impossible to enforce on adjacent Schengen countries borders.

As to the Guadiana, I suspect Portugal will ignore Brit/Spanish residents that stray into Portugal but not so sure the converse will apply for Brit/Portuguese residents found in Andalusia.

The situation I suggest is:-

Fly into Faro on 1st Jan 2021 - get passport stamped. No problem crossing into Andalusia anytime for the next 90 days ('till 1 Apr 2021). However, unless your passport is exit stamped, during this 90 days (and re-stamped on re-entering a Schengen country), you could have problems explaining your presence in another Schengen country (in this example Spain). If you have an out/in stamp then you will be credited with the days you were outside the Schengen Zone. For example if you returned to the UK for 14 days during Jan/Mar, you could be in Spain up to 14 Apr. Look forward to the local authorities sorting this lot out. Especially during the school summer holidays.?

As said before, in my view, all far too complicated for Portugal, where, (if a non-Portuguese resident) provided you are not apprehended breaking the law (driving offence?) life will continue much as before.(y)

Especially, if we are to believe all of the conciliatory noises coming out of Lisbon.?

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I'm UK national and I have Greek residency....let's say next year I DRIVE to my boat in Greece and go sailing for 3 or 4 months....
When and how can I drive back ....
How would it work with Schengen rules ....90 in 90 out.

I am similar ... UK Passport .. Latvia Resident.

I was told that there should be no change except I cannot work outside of Latvia state in EU. Travel through etc is fine because I have the Latvian residence which is a) EU and b) Schengen.

I will be checking that later again once things settle .... as I like to drive to / from UK instead of flying and its limitations.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Artic Warrior you must enjoy throwing these almost impossible question at us :)
Refueler the way it's stand at the moment , if you have a residence for one EU country your not going to be able to freely roam through other EU country, i.e. That's the law at the moment ,
Forget what someone in Latvian tells you .
Of course that may change .

Artic Warrior

Visit site
I emailed the EU enquiry dept. on this point and never received a reply as no doubt it hasn't been sorted yet. Suspect they may expect us to get passports stamped on arrival and departure in country of residence to stop and restart the clock. Bit of a nonsense as when on anchor in Guadiana, we can cross to/from Spain daily, some times several times.
Yes I thought that the stamping of passport might have to happen otherwise no way to prove anything..what a nucience

Artic Warrior

Visit site
Refueler the way it's stand at the moment , if you have a residence for one EU country your not going to be able to freely roam through other EU country, i.e. That's the law at the moment ,
Yes o know about the non freedom of movement to other EU countries...
It's a bit of a pickle isn't it

sailaboutvic

Visit site
At the BBQ this afternoon there was around 10 Brit plus me not one are at all worried about the end of this year .
We all in the same mind set , we deal with it when and if it happen .

What happen when you buy a train ticket say London to Paris ,
Will they stamp your passport at the station in London , on the train or in Paris , or not at all ?.

Hope there going to have lots of pages to stamp in your passport same will be renewing them every other year.
Do your self a farour and stop worrying about it , not worth making your self ill over the dam thing .

Graham376

Visit site
At the BBQ this afternoon there was around 10 Brit plus me not one are at all worried about the end of this year .
We all in the same mind set , we deal with it when and if it happen .

That's my attitude as well, wait and see then sort it. Could be funny at Alcoutim, there's a zip-wire from Spain to Portugal and I can't see plod standing there all day in case any Brits come across:)

Refueler

Visit site

So YOU know more than the Official Passport Office that issued my Residence Permit ?

And this shows the current situation - which agree with my earlier post that I will still retain travel throughout EU :

Citizens’ rights

You honestly think I posted some casual bar-room chat ?

The Passport Office stated that I my residence allowed me to TRAVEL through EU states but NOT LIVE OR WORK in any except the state my residence permit is issued in. They never mentioned any time limit either.

FYI - I have Permanent Residence Permit - not temporary.

But as I say - I will be re-confirming that later once all is settled down.

Edit : I note that it even says that I can live and work in other EU states depending on agreement between the state that issues my residency and where I wish to work.

Last edited:

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
The Passport Office stated that I my residence allowed me to TRAVEL through EU states but NOT LIVE OR WORK in any except the state my residence permit is issued in. They never mentioned any time limit either.

If this is the case and given other posts about the ease of gaining Portuguese residency based on a boat in a marina there, this would solve my own problems. As long as travel through EU states allows sailing at 7kts!

My current plans are to ensure my boat is in the EU on 31/12/20, investigate Portuguese residency ( based on winter at Pavoa de Varzim?). Otherwise I'm stuffed and my 16 year practice of living aboard my boat in the EU 4-5 months a year is over.

Refueler

Visit site
If this is the case and given other posts about the ease of gaining Portuguese residency based on a boat in a marina there, this would solve my own problems. As long as travel through EU states allows sailing at 7kts!

My current plans are to ensure my boat is in the EU on 31/12/20, investigate Portuguese residency ( based on winter at Pavoa de Varzim?). Otherwise I'm stuffed and my 16 year practice of living aboard my boat in the EU 4-5 months a year is over.

Suggest looking through :

Citizens’ rights

Note that is as told to me by Latvian Passport Office who issues all Residence Permits in Latvia. I only gave the info as indication that all is not lost as some would say in EU.

I have Permanent Residency here based on owning Companys here. But I believe that I may have to complete a new form to ensure my Permit remains as issued - the information so far is Ministry is considering accepting re-confirmation of residency till April 2021 here.

Graham376

Visit site
Suggest looking through :Citizens’ rights

Note that is as told to me by Latvian Passport Office who issues all Residence Permits in Latvia. I only gave the info as indication that all is not lost as some would say in EU.

I have Permanent Residency here based on owning Companys here. But I believe that I may have to complete a new form to ensure my Permit remains as issued - the information so far is Ministry is considering accepting re-confirmation of residency till April 2021 here.

No good looking at Citizen's Rights, we cease to be EU Citizens when we Brexit. I also have permanent residence here but, everything published so far, says we will loose the right to roam outside 90/180

Refueler

Visit site
No good looking at Citizen's Rights, we cease to be EU Citizens when we Brexit. I also have permanent residence here but, everything published so far, says we will loose the right to roam outside 90/180

Have you actually looked at the site and read it ...

Its written specifically to detail Brits rights if you have or apply for residency in an EU state. It lists each state so you can see what each will give.

I have never seen any mention of 90 / 180 days anywhere.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
So YOU know more than the Official Passport Office that issued my Residence Permit ?

And this shows the current situation - which agree with my earlier post that I will still retain travel throughout EU :

Citizens’ rights

You honestly think I posted some casual bar-room chat ?

FYI - I have Permanent Residence Permit - not temporary.

Edit : I note that it even says that I can live and work in other EU states depending on agreement between the state that issues my residency and where I wish to work.

it's Sunday night and I have no intention in getting into a full debut with you
to answer your question , NO I don't know more than the Official Passport Office.
So ...my question to you is .
Would you kindly point out where in the document you pointed out say that a U.K. Citizen that holds a Latvia Residence or any other EU country resident can after 2021 have unlimited free movement in another EU member state . ?

We don't have to be resident in another country to retain travel thought out the EU as you put it , we just have to abide by what ever rules are in place be it the 90/180 or anything else , any dumbo know that , that s not debatable,
Will resident in another EU country give us free moment in every other EU country ( i.e. As it stands before Dec 2020 ) is the question and so far no one know .

I guess not other wise all the poor people who landed in Greece Italy Malta and got residency would be moving around the EU for better conditions but they can't

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Certainly from what has been on here previously it is very clear if you are a non EU citizen and you have residency in a EU Country at the best that only allows you to stay 90 days in every 180 in any other EU Country or countries

Refueler

Visit site
I asked a question , please be kind enough to answer as you bit my head off .

Right :

1. YOU have reworded my post of saying " I note that it even says that I can live and work in other EU states depending on agreement between the state that issues my residency and where I wish to work. "
... to your wording of "Would you kindly point out where in the document you pointed out say that a U.K. Citizen that holds a Latvia Residence or any other EU country resident can after 2021 have unlimited free movement in another EU member state . ? "
Not quite the same wording is it ....
As regards travel - the Office issuing my Residence - have stated I still can travel in EU freely as before.

2. I'm still trying to find where this 90/180 days is coming from that odd people are saying ... the only reference I can find to this is within "
REGULATION (EU) 2018/1806 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

of 14 November 2018"

Which as far as I can determine from the "legalese" relates to non-EU citizens and are not resident in any EU state.

For the benefit of some here ... I shall bring forward my visit to Passport / Residency Office here and get latest info ...