Reefing the main sail almost downwind solo

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Still after 3 years feeling like a novice, I've notice how tricky reefing can be when going almost downwind. In the past Ive just let the boom go, so the sails flutter, and sail with just the genoa then reef. Is there any special techniques when sailing solo apart from totally changing course.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
It depends on the rig and type of mainsail fittings.
Swept back spreaders and boltrope will make it very difficult and likely impossible; OTOH perpendicular spreaders, full batten with mast cars with big genoa there is no problem: I sheet the genoa in (what's left of it, if rolled), the mainsail begins flapping and you can take/shake reefs as you like. On long downwind passages I never luffed more than 45° aft of the beam on dozens of reefs taken or shaken, sometimes several a day, happily so when one works with the third reef. One of the reasons I would never want a rig with tiny jib and giant mainsail for that type of sailing.
Another technique is bringing the boom in and then pulling hard the reef outhaul rope while slowly lowering the sail, to keep the sail cloth taut; never tried myself though.

geem

Visit site
It depends on the rig and type of mainsail fittings.
Swept back spreaders and boltrope will make it very difficult and likely impossible; OTOH perpendicular spreaders, full batten with mast cars with big genoa there is no problem: I sheet the genoa in (what's left of it, if rolled), the mainsail begins flapping and you can take/shake reefs as you like. On long downwind passages I never luffed more than 45° aft of the beam on dozens of reefs taken or shaken, sometimes several a day, happily so when one works with the third reef. One of the reasons I would never want a rig with tiny jib and giant mainsail for that type of sailing.
Another technique is bringing the boom in and then pulling hard the reef outhaul rope while slowly lowering the sail, to keep the sail cloth taut; never tried myself though.
We reef our fully battened mainsail down wind. Straight spreaders and cars on every sail attachment point to the mast. We have a line through the reef point at the mast end of the sail. In strong winds, we haul the reefing line down at the back of the sail then haul in on the line through the reef points at the front of the sail. We have winches on the mast so easy to pressure the sail down without dragging across the spreaders. We sheet the boom in sufficiently so the sail isn't touching any part of the rig and we always have the preventer tight. It's easy in light winds but harder as the wind increases. Still far more preferable than turning up into the wind in big seas at night

dunedin

Visit site
Inhave always rounded up to a close reach before reefing. If that is not possible (eg as sailing in a very narrow channel, or due to strength of winds and waves) ……………. then you have left it far too late!
Where we sail sometimes get sudden 40 knot squalls down from the hills. If going downwind then it is furl jib smaller while still going downwind, then spin round to close reach and dump the main entirely, bear off and, now sailing gently under small jib, pop the kettle on to await the squall passing.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I’ve got full battens and cars but with sliders in between. I reef at the mast. Downwind I sheet in the main then I can pull the sail down by hand even under pressure. Important not to be too close to dead downwind so no gibe. I generally use a preventer too. But once the sail starts to drop it gets easier. Just do it early enough that you are in full control. I have tried scandalising first but it doesn’t make much difference.

capnsensible

Visit site
People often forget the kicker/ vang when reefing off the wind. Depowers lots of types of rig when wind aft of beam. As geem posted, rounding up offshore is often not a good idea. And if you have left it late....you still need to reef!

Practice, practice, practice!!

MisterBaxter

Visit site
One of the major advantages of junk rig, especially for short handed sailing, is that reefing and unreefing are quick easy jobs for one person on any point of sail. I've always fancied it myself for that reason.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I sail SH & have self tacking jib with a full battened mainsail. I could not reef down wind even in light airs.
However, when I reef I always want to slow the boat down. I see no point in falling over the side & even less doing it at 7kts. I would have better chance at 1-2 kts (yes, I have been over the side 3 times in my sailing career & at 76 years of age I have had enough). I set the Aries to windward & let the main flog, with the boom, to one side of the cockpit, supported by the topping lift, just clear of my head . Jib hard in. At that position I can see the sail & what I am doing from the cockpit. Single line reefing.

If anything goes tits up I can go foreward & curse at it from the mast. No fear of any accidental gybes, because the boat will just fall away from the wind then gently luff again. Of course I tend not to leave it so late that I am luffing into huge breaking seas. That is not the time to reef.-- Unless my son is with me & our mates are following, which does tend to change one's reefing policy ;)
:D

Daydream believer

Visit site
If I'm planning to do a down wind leg, for a short leg I will reef if necessary (bear in mind that a F5 downwind feels like an F4) before I turn, or for a long leg I ditch the main and use twin headsails.
So how do you actually hoist, handle the additional sail?
ie extra stay-, furler,- same furler,-no furler- already hoisted & furled on a stay
I have a brand new Profurl twin grouve foil but getting a sail up it would be really hard work & nigh on impossible when SH

Pye_End

Visit site
I regularly reef main dead downwind, even in fresh/strong wind. If pitching due to sea state can often pull down a handful with the boat pitching forward, and then wait for the wave to go through. Often safer than rounding up, especially offshore. FB main. Lines at the mast.

Laser310

Visit site
We have a line through the reef point at the mast end of the sail. In strong winds, we haul the reefing line down at the back of the sail then haul in on the line through the reef points at the front of the sail

on bigger boats, a line to haul down at the reef point is really helpful

but i don't get the part about doing the clew before the tack...

geem

Visit site
on bigger boats, a line to haul down at the reef point is really helpful

but i don't get the part about doing the clew before the tack...
As you ease the halyard tension the sail tends to belly out. Hauling the clew flattens the sail down and keeps the extra sail off the rigging. It also stops the sailing from flapping.once the sail is reefed in at the outer end of the boom the tack end comes down more easily and under better control

Minerva

Visit site
Those of you with a line up to the reefing spectacles - do you have one end made off on the gooseneck up to the cringle, then back down again to a winch (i.e 2:1) or do just have a line made off on a cringle then straight down?