Red over Green

tome

www.google.co.uk
Bumblefish

Annex 1 of the colregs requires a vertical separation of at least 1 metre between the red and green, which makes this impractical on many boats.

Regards
Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Come in #9 ....

You haven't got 9 boats ...... OIH ... #6 are you in trouble ?????????

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

AuntyRinum

Visit site
Can anyone explain the point of red over green? Yachts over 12m must carry stern and port and starboard lights. In addition to those, yachts over 12m may carry an all round red above an all round green. What's the point of that? I can only guess that it's to be seen at a greater distance. Anybody know?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
It is a useful thing for Sail Training Vessels and other large sailing vessels - indeed, it seems to me that they usually do show these lights - because it allows them to be identified quickly in shipping lanes, wich, unlike yachts, they make regular use of, and where, of course, they have right of way over motor vessels.

There is no sense in a yacht carrying these lights.

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
Agree with that.It immediately identifies it as a large sailing vessel which will behave much differently to a small yacht.

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
TSS

"it allows them to be identified quickly in shipping lanes, wich, unlike yachts, they make regular use of, and where, of course, they have right of way over motor vessels."

But not in a TSS, where Rule 10(j) says that "... a sailing vessel shall not impede the safe passage of a power-driven vessel following a traffic lane."

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
Iknow they "could"use them but have you ever actually seen a small yacht with them??

<hr width=100% size=1>

B

bob_tyler

I always thought that Red over Green was a seaplane turning hard right at zero feet to miss my mast!

<hr width=100% size=1>