Recommendations? 40ish footer for coastal cruising

Sailfree

Visit site
I too actually quite like this era Jeanneau 40Ds and 43DS - certainly prefer the boxy 4)DS/43DS deck saloon to the ugly whaleback (and no nice look-out-seating) of the next generation Jeanneau DSs. Also as Sailfree says a very conventional hull construction - better than modern eggbox.

I would add that while trying not to influence their decision, after friends were going to but a boat with no backstay (sorry forget make), I put their requirements on here for others input. They ended up with a Jeanneau 40DS that they have now sailed extensively some 8yrs all around the med and is currently in the Canary Islands.

The 40 & 43DS sails better than the classic sun odessey with same hull even with the less efficient in mast furling as the water and diesel tanks under the raised DS floor which puts the weight right over the keel bolts. Hence we ordered our DS with conventional rig and fully battened main so best of both worlds.

flaming

Visit site
Sorry, but it is not you buying the boat and the OP has a set of requirements that are different from yours and met by the boats he has been looking at. Neither of your suggestions meet his requirements.

I'm slightly confused. The only requirements I can see are "about 40 foot long, about £100k and no open transom". Which would be met by a Dufour 40. (Though not the newer 40E, which does have an open transom)

My comment to the OP would be that compared to the boats he first listed the Dufour (and others like the maxi) are much, much better sailing boats but will sacrifice a little internal volume by comparison. You pays your money and you takes your choice... And quite frankly it's a buyers market, you really don't need £100k to get a superb boat in this size bracket. So I'd consider looking at slightly older boats, putting in a cheeky offer and allocating some of your budget for upgrading electronics etc and maybe a new suit of sails.

If you can be persuaded by a boat with an open transom then a lot more options open up, both newer and closer to your £100k budget and older but faster.

All boats are pretty much personal choice, and it's fair to say that my suggestions will probably all be biased towards better performance, but what you asked for is pretty much the bread and butter of any manufacturer of cruising boats. Just pick one that you like and get it surveyed.

Sailfree

Visit site
I'm slightly confused. The only requirements I can see are "about 40 foot long, about £100k and no open transom". Which would be met by a Dufour 40. (Though not the newer 40E, which does have an open transom)

My comment to the OP would be that compared to the boats he first listed the Dufour (and others like the maxi) are much, much better sailing boats but will sacrifice a little internal volume by comparison. You pays your money and you takes your choice... And quite frankly it's a buyers market, you really don't need £100k to get a superb boat in this size bracket. So I'd consider looking at slightly older boats, putting in a cheeky offer and allocating some of your budget for upgrading electronics etc and maybe a new suit of sails.

If you can be persuaded by a boat with an open transom then a lot more options open up, both newer and closer to your £100k budget and older but faster.

All boats are pretty much personal choice, and it's fair to say that my suggestions will probably all be biased towards better performance, but what you asked for is pretty much the bread and butter of any manufacturer of cruising boats. Just pick one that you like and get it surveyed.

I think Tranona's comment referred to another post suggesting boats with only 2 cabins.

I liked the Dufour 40 (not the nicotine coloured saloon ceiling though the French are usually stylish) and considered buying the Dufour 46 but finally opted for the Jeanneau 43DS in 2005. Its all a set of compromises, the Dufour is a better sailer but the jeanneau is more comfortable as a cruising boat with its own shower compartment and much lighter interior.

That's why others suggestions are great as every boat is a compromise (cost often being the biggest!) and what set of compromises and priorities suit one person may not suit another.

Tranona

Visit site
The Dufour would sit comfortably in the list of boats that have attracted the OPs attention (and approval!) whereas a Starlight 39 or a Maxi 1100 would not - even ignoring the fact that neither have the required 3 sleeping cabins. They were the personal choice of the poster who suggested them, not in my view a helpful recommendation for the OP.

The OP is looking at mainstream AWBs as represented by the boats he has looked at so far. Clearly some are better than others, and we all might have our personal preferences for individual brands or models, but there is plenty of choice. So, if it were my choice I would consider a Bavaria 42 with the extra (4th) cabin if spacious and flexible sleeping space was important. However, I expect the OP and his fellow buyer will eventually just walk on a boat and say "This is it" - just like most buyers.

bbg

Visit site
Why go for 3 cabins in a 40' boat?
My old 35'boat has 2 cabins (for 2 couples), and cockpit lockers to store stuff.
And 3 more berths if you are going to cram them in.
Is it a hotel you are looking for or something for you and maybe some friends now and then?
Because that's what he wants.
He isn't looking for the boat that you want.

Seven Spades

Visit site
When we had young kids we wanted three cabins so that we could separate them. Once they grew up two cabins were not a problem as they didn't seem to have the same exeat weekends and as teenagers they often chose not to come so it was very rare for us to have them all on board together.

Tranona

Visit site
When we had young kids we wanted three cabins so that we could separate them. Once they grew up two cabins were not a problem as they didn't seem to have the same exeat weekends and as teenagers they often chose not to come so it was very rare for us to have them all on board together.

With respect that is your situation. The OP is buying in partnership with another. You have no idea what their families are or how they intend to sail. BUT he is very specific about 3 cabins and all the boats he has looked at (and admired) have this feature.

I explained earlier why we had a 3 cabin boat and how we used it to suit us - which was very different from the way it is used by the current owner.

Seven Spades

Visit site
With respect that is your situation. The OP is buying in partnership with another. You have no idea what their families are or how they intend to sail. BUT he is very specific about 3 cabins and all the boats he has looked at (and admired) have this feature.

I explained earlier why we had a 3 cabin boat and how we used it to suit us - which was very different from the way it is used by the current owner.

What is a matter with you. I know perfectly well what the owner wants I was just chatting.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Hmmm. He has 100k to spend. I think that any westerly ever built would be worth less than half that. My suggestion is that he can afford a new boat at that price. New electronics, fresh rigging. Better than a second hand boat from a company that went bust 20 years ago.

If you can find me a Westerly Sealord or Oceanlord or Oceanranger in good or reasonable condition at less than £50k please let me know.

Tranona

Visit site
What is a matter with you. I know perfectly well what the owner wants I was just chatting.

Nothing the matter with me. Maybe you should start a post that is not relevant to the thread with "just chatting", otherwise one has to assume you are contributing to help the OP.

john_morris_uk

Why go for 3 cabins in a 40' boat?
My old 35'boat has 2 cabins (for 2 couples), and cockpit lockers to store stuff.
And 3 more berths if you are going to cram them in.
Is it a hotel you are looking for or something for you and maybe some friends now and then?

When we bought our current boat, we were looking for three cabins and I don’t understand your questioning the OP. In our case, our children were just entering puberty and with one boy and one girl who both wanted to bring friends sailing there was no way they were all going to rub along together in a saloon while mum and dad retired to their cabin.

They’re now grown up and still come sailing with us occasionally.

If the OP wants three cabins then why question his choice? Or is it simply that you don’t count the saloon as a separate cabin when you all retire?

ashtead

Visit site
For what it's worth in the cabin number debate you might consider what would be most desirable in terms of reselling. I guess it depends on model but by way of example Bavaria 34s might be more desirable in 3 cabins than 2 IMHO Don't forget it's not only teenagers but also canine crew which might use the third cabin for resting on longer passages etc. The lack of a third cabin is one of the downsides of a number of centre cockpit boats unfortunately unless there is a bunk squeezes in somewhere. on topic of cabins you might also usefully consider berth arrangement in bow cabin as some are fairly awful / cramped etc and difficult to access due to offset berth for example.

Sailfree

Visit site
Number of cabins can be very useful.

Our 43 has 4 which with a comfortable saloon table sleeps 10. You never want 10 on board on a 43 if comfort is a factor but men like to not share with other men so 5 sleeping areas were popular plus when just SWMBO and I cruising the bunk bed cabin is a great tool room and spares. Another cabin has the fold up bikes.

flaming

Visit site
When we bought our current boat, we were looking for three cabins and I don’t understand your questioning the OP. In our case, our children were just entering puberty and with one boy and one girl who both wanted to bring friends sailing there was no way they were all going to rub along together in a saloon while mum and dad retired to their cabin.

Cue someone to come along and say

"In my day we didn't have such luxuries as cabins, we slept in an open boat with a mildew infested bit of canvas to shelter us, and an old baked bean tin to use as a toilet. Don't give your kids a cabin, if you do they'll just sneak away to facebook or something else that I don't understand but sounds bad."

Angele

Visit site

"In my day we didn't have such luxuries as cabins, we slept in an open boat with a mildew infested bit of canvas to shelter us, and an old baked bean tin to use as a toilet. Don't give your kids a cabin, if you do they'll just sneak away to facebook or something else that I don't understand but sounds bad."

You were lucky. When I was a lad.....

...... but you try telling the young people of today that, and they won't believe you. ;)

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

I was waiting for someone to suggest that rubbing along was exactly what the teenage boys and girls would be wanting to do...

Tranona

Visit site
A whole new meaning to swinging at your mooring.

I understand that "swinging" has a whole new meaning these days and involves bored middle age couples meeting up with similar in a Blackpool dive with closed doors, unlimited alcohol and well.... swinging the night away, but going home with the same person they came with.

That is according to a newspaper report recently of a case where one of the males got upset after seeing the lady he came with helping another male on with his socks after the proceedings. Charge was GBH!