Recommendations? 40ish footer for coastal cruising

tomsis

Visit site
My mate and I are upgrading! Currently we own a Moody 31 Mk 2. We love the bilge keel, to explore creeks and anchor close in. But we want to something faster and with three bedrooms. And ideally 10 years old or less. Our budget is around 100 K, maybe a little more. Does anyone have any recommendations? Currently we are looking at a Jeanneau 409, Elan 434, and the Bavaria 40 S. Any ideas most welcome. Many thanks.

wully1

Visit site
Go and see as many examples of each of them as close together as you can manage, ideally as many examples of each in groups on the same day...then you get a fresh idea of the relative overal condition of the group.

That’s how we chose our current boat. It took some long days driving around the south coast and the best we managed was 3 in one day but easily allowed us to pick the best overall example.

Tranona

Visit site
My mate and I are upgrading! Currently we own a Moody 31 Mk 2. We love the bilge keel, to explore creeks and anchor close in. But we want to something faster and with three bedrooms. And ideally 10 years old or less. Our budget is around 100 K, maybe a little more. Does anyone have any recommendations? Currently we are looking at a Jeanneau 409, Elan 434, and the Bavaria 40 S. Any ideas most welcome. Many thanks.

You are spoilt for choice, so just look at as many boats as you can and buy something you both like. Key things when you home in on a boat or specific model are equipment and condition. You will be looking at 5-10 year old boats and in that age bracket you are starting to see items that need replacing so look for a boat where everything is working and no obvious replacements due.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I love my Hanse 385 which was less than 100k (new) before the VAT was added...
Take a look at the Hanse 415 or for less money Hanse 400.
These are deep keel boats but sail exceptionally well. My previous boat had a 1.3m and I have no regrets in sacrificing access to some creeks for the vastly improved stiffness, speed and pointing ability.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
From that choice I would go with the Jenneau we sailed different sizes many times when chartering, what I found was the Jeanneau is good upwind because it has a deep keel. Do check that against your other choices.

Tranona

Visit site
From that choice I would go with the Jenneau we sailed different sizes many times when chartering, what I found was the Jeanneau is good upwind because it has a deep keel. Do check that against your other choices.

You are so out of date, all the boats he is looking at will be available with deep keels. Jeanneau keels are no deeper than competitors, although most builders offer shallow keel options.

Sweeping, incorrect statements like yours are no use to anyone.

cueball

Visit site
Hi tomsisum, From your statement "We love the bilge keel, to explore creeks and anchor close in. But we want to something faster and with three bedrooms" I would suggest you take a look at some catamaran's, you could look in the 31-33ft range and have as much room as a 40ft mono. They will tick all the boxes you have asked for, and may just come in at the top of your budget.

Last edited:

tomsis

Visit site
I love my Hanse 385 which was less than 100k (new) before the VAT was added...
Take a look at the Hanse 415 or for less money Hanse 400.
These are deep keel boats but sail exceptionally well. My previous boat had a 1.3m and I have no regrets in sacrificing access to some creeks for the vastly improved stiffness, speed and pointing ability.

We did look at a Hanse and loved it, but it didn’t have a transom which rules it out for us with kids. Do their models come with and without transoms?

Tranona

Visit site
We did look at a Hanse and loved it, but it didn’t have a transom which rules it out for us with kids. Do their models come with and without transoms?

Most boats of this size intended for cruising will have closed off transoms with drop down sections being common, for example in the Bavaria range. These work very well as the drop down section offers a good platform for boarding or swimming from. The open transoms tend to be on the more sporting models and some of them will have optional drop in or lift up closures.

As already suggested a couple of days doing the rounds of the big yards around Southampton will allow you to view a very wide range of boats for sale.

Airscrew

Visit site
Come down to the Southampton Used boat show.
Its on the Hamble at Swanwick, not Southampton, but on at the same time as the SBS.

Boats will be at Why Boats, MDL, Bavaria Swanwick.

If you also drive down to Hamble point, you have SD (have a look at their Dehler41DS - http://www.sdmarine.co.uk/brokerage?id=759222 - its older than you want, and only 2 cabins, better quality than your suggestions and probably quicker than 2, but for your stated purpose, really worth a look), and Michael Schmidt.

Good luck and have fun looking.

pvb

Visit site
Currently we are looking at a Jeanneau 409, Elan 434, and the Bavaria 40 S. Any ideas most welcome.

I couldn't live with those "gun turret" portlights on the Bavaria 40S. Has to be one of the most unfortunate bits of yacht design in recent years, no wonder they changed it so quickly.

ashtead

Visit site
15 replies and nobody has suggested a Westerly yet, must be a record!:rolleyes:

I suspect rather old fashioned for the OP however his brand choice is quite limited given price, age criteria and size as he has rather ruled at Scandinavian contenders I suspect however I did suggest a Moody again if he was seeking an alternative to Benbav Jen etc.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
I couldn't live with those "gun turret" portlights on the Bavaria 40S. Has to be one of the most unfortunate bits of yacht design in recent years, no wonder they changed it so quickly.

I think someone should contact Beneteau first thing and tell them "a guy on an internet forum" doesn't like their latest design.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/...Kingdom?refSource=browse listing#.W4iOry2ZMWp

vs

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/...Kingdom?refSource=browse listing#.W4iOnC2ZMWq

vs

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/...Kingdom?refSource=browse listing#.W4iOiC2ZMWq

vs

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1652721/

cmedsailor

Visit site
I am in similar situation with the OP. Some boats I am considering are the following (not in any particular order of most to least favourable):

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409,419,439
Hanse 415
Bavaria Cruiser 41
Dufour Grand Large 405,425