Recommendation sought for robust deck plug 12v / 2 pin.

Minerva

Visit site
This winter I’ve converted an antique bronze oil anchor light with frenzel lens to be a rather nice 12v led anchor light.

My next plan is to reroute the wiring from going up the mast to the masthead light to a deck plug at the mast step. An easy switch will achieve this.

Problem I’m looking to solve is plugging the thing in.

The easiest method would be to route the cable from the lamp, down through the opening deck hatch immediately aft of the mast and into an internal non waterproof socket, but I prefer not having rain drops dripping into my dram!

On the deck plug front, I’ve used the ubiquitous cheap chrome plated deck plug for tasks before, but they haven’t stood up particularly well to constant plugging / unplugging when used for the cockpit chart plotter.

As the anchor light plug will in/out 50 odd times a season, it will get high use and it’s attached to the bit of deck I really want to keep watertight (mast step).

So, question being - what deck plugs have you used that have stood up to frequent (ab)use and remained firm, watertight with good electrical connections?

Thanks

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I have Dri-plug everywhere (anchor light included :) ), never had to change one in almost 20y as boat owner. Unfortunately they seem to have gone out of business (?), though sometimes they still appear on dusty chandler shelves.

VicS

Visit site
This winter I’ve converted an antique bronze oil anchor light with frenzel lens to be a rather nice 12v led anchor light.
My next plan is to reroute the wiring from going up the mast to the masthead light to a deck plug at the mast step. An easy switch will achieve this.
Problem I’m looking to solve is plugging the thing in.
>
So, question being - what deck plugs have you used that have stood up to frequent (ab)use and remained firm, watertight with good electrical connections?

Thanks
Bulgin Buccaneer plugs seem to be the current favourite as deck plugs.

geem

Visit site

peterhull

Visit site
I have always like the idea of a 'swan neck' pipe.

Although you will have to drill the deck for the fixings, once in place any wiring can be fed through the pipe direct to fittings.
Easy to remove the wires if needed without disturbing any seals. Should last a lifetime!!

geem

Visit site
I have always like the idea of a 'swan neck' pipe.

Although you will have to drill the deck for the fixings, once in place any wiring can be fed through the pipe direct to fittings.
Easy to remove the wires if needed without disturbing any seals. Should last a lifetime!!
I guess it depends what you are plugging in. Both our masts have have swan necks for permanent kit. The roving solar and deck level anchor light both use bulgin plugs

jdc

Visit site
I plug my riding light into a Bulgin socket, and it certainly stands up to it - just don't cross-thread the cover. It's been used hundreds of times over 10 years and still the original.

But my socket is actually inside the cockpit, inside an open-fronted recess which, I guess, is supposed to take winch handles, sail ties etc etc. It actually has the VHF extension speaker and a Hoselock connector for the cockpit shower. The advantage is that it's not often covered by green water and has some physical protection against knocks. The socket is also used for the tow generator and used to be for a search light (but LEDs and Lithium batteries are so good these days I no longer have a plug-in search-light). I deliberately didn't place it near the mast.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I fitted an Index marine round deck gland, then fitted a connection inside the boat - I used Wago connectors - much better and little chance of seawater corrosion.