Reasonably priced Anchorages UK (South)

Pete Carr

Visit site
This is purely a hypothetical fact finding exercise.
If my plan was to come together, we may have a boat in UK waters for a while, possibly over winter, before heading towards the med.
Probably a 42ft - 45ft boat.
1. Any suggestions on reasonably priced anchorages in the south or south east UK (I would love to be in a Marina but think that would be way too expensive)
2. Do annual fees, have a standard anniversary, or is it 12 months from the date you take it out?

Many thanks.

Pete

Yngmar

Visit site
Anchorages generally don't cost money (although some Croats like to think otherwise). Moorings usually do (some don't, like the ones placed around Crotone's nature reserve). Marinas always cost money (unless you find an abandoned or unfinished one, like here in Pylos or at the entrance to the Mar Menor).

If you want to winter and live aboard in the UK south, you'll most likely want to be in a marina for safety, comfort (heating, power, sanitary facilities) and ease of access to shore. If you just want to park the boat, a few places have moorings in places with all-around shelter, but you will have to accept that some days the weather isn't going to be suitable and you will not be able to access (or leave) the boat. I can't think of anywhere on the south coast where it's safe to leave a boat at anchor an entire winter, but others may correct me.

In winter, gales regularly wander up along the English channel and wind strengths above 60 knots do happen. Even boats in marinas do suffer damage then if improperly put away or not looked after (fenders burst, mooring lines chafe through, poorly furled sails get torn out and damage the rig, etc. - here's a little taste of the morning after). If not, you'll probably just lose a night of sleep.

Marina contracts typically renew 12 months from the start date, although you can also get monthly and in some places quarterly contracts etc. If you can't afford the annual rate for a 42-45 ft boat, it may be best to think about getting a smaller boat instead. Even in the med you will usually have to put it somewhere for winter at least for the colder months, and while winter contracts are cheaper than in the UK, they still cost a good chunk of money (and are charged by boat size).

Pete Carr

Visit site
Anchorages generally don't cost money (although some Croats like to think otherwise). Moorings usually do (some don't, like the ones placed around Crotone's nature reserve). Marinas always cost money (unless you find an abandoned or unfinished one, like here in Pylos or at the entrance to the Mar Menor).

If you want to winter and live aboard in the UK south, you'll most likely want to be in a marina for safety, comfort (heating, power, sanitary facilities) and ease of access to shore. If you just want to park the boat, a few places have moorings in places with all-around shelter, but you will have to accept that some days the weather isn't going to be suitable and you will not be able to access (or leave) the boat. I can't think of anywhere on the south coast where it's safe to leave a boat at anchor an entire winter, but others may correct me.

In winter, gales regularly wander up along the English channel and wind strengths above 60 knots do happen. Even boats in marinas do suffer damage then if improperly put away or not looked after (fenders burst, mooring lines chafe through, poorly furled sails get torn out and damage the rig, etc. - here's a little taste of the morning after). If not, you'll probably just lose a night of sleep.

Marina contracts typically renew 12 months from the start date, although you can also get monthly and in some places quarterly contracts etc. If you can't afford the annual rate for a 42-45 ft boat, it may be best to think about getting a smaller boat instead. Even in the med you will usually have to put it somewhere for winter at least for the colder months, and while winter contracts are cheaper than in the UK, they still cost a good chunk of money (and are charged by boat size).

Ah! yes I have read some of the tales of overzealous Croats, trying to coerce folk into marinas or mooring fields.

Any UK mooring would be solely because I may buy a boat currently moored on the River Dart, keeping the boat here in the UK (while we sort out things here) before heading off on our adventure, after that it would most likely be kept in the med.

My better half is quite keen for this adventure as long as she can be relatively comfortable, this means two things are essential.
1. a spacious bed, that we dont have to clamber out of, we have tried standard Vee berths, and very cosy rear cabins, and they just do do it for us. so it needs to be an island bed (or at least partially accessible from the sides)
2. Plenty of cockpit space, which for us rules out centre cockpit.
If I could find a sub 40 footer that would fulfil that criteria, within our price range, that would be brilliant, but so far I havent found that "Tardis*
In a perfect world she would have us in a Catamaran, so any monohull has to at least be roomy, or the adventure will be dead in the water.

robertj

Visit site
You have a right to free navigation including anchoring. Just ignore the collectors it’s a lot cheaper.