Raymarine EV100 vs EV200

nickgebbett

Visit site
Hi All
I have a Dehler 36v with ST6000 autopilot - hydraulic linear drive. All good so far. I want to upgrade to the newer technology of the Evolution system but the "packs" available for replacing the computer (but keeping the pump and ram) all look very much the same. What's the actual difference between them that causes the massive price difference?

nickgebbett

Visit site
So - twice the price for a slightly bigger relay or power handling electronics. Same brain? Same steering ability? Same inputs?
I don't get the logic! There must be more for your money than this, surely?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi All
I have a Dehler 36v with ST6000 autopilot - hydraulic linear drive. All good so far. I want to upgrade to the newer technology of the Evolution system but the "packs" available for replacing the computer (but keeping the pump and ram) all look very much the same. What's the actual difference between them that causes the massive price difference?
The EV100 is for smaller boats, your boat is too big.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
We have the EV150 on our 32', 8.5t motorsailer (see avatar) It is supposedly for MoBOs, but the only difference is the controller. It still has all the sailing features, but is controlled by a dial knob, rather than push buttons.
We hooked it up to our old pump and ram. I have nothing but praise for the device and it steers reliably and well in all conditions, and I truly mean ALL conditions. It has steered us well over 5500 miles since install, including a circumnavigation of the Brit Isles via Norway, which we did this year. The difference between the different EV models are the activator (pump) amp loads the course computer can handle.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The EV200 is available with the P70Rs (rotary) or P70s (push button) controller, cost for either is circa £2000. The EV150 is only available with the P70Rs and costs circa £1500. If i was the OP i'd go for the EV150.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
The EV100 is for smaller boats, your boat is too big.
I think I compared the capacity of the EV 100 (amps) with my current SmartPilot and it's the same or even a fraction higher. My boat is a fin-keel 40'er (Van De Stadt Caribbean) and the Smart Pilot was fine, even in a gale. I think it's the lack of a clutch that makes the EV 100 unsuitable for larger boats, which are normally wheel steered (as is OP's, I think).

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I think I compared the capacity of the EV 100 (amps) with my current SmartPilot and it's the same or even a fraction higher. My boat is a fin-keel 40'er (Van De Stadt Caribbean) and the Smart Pilot was fine, even in a gale. I think it's the lack of a clutch that makes the EV 100 unsuitable for larger boats, which are normally wheel steered (as is OP's, I think).
The EV100 is only 7a, it doesn't have a clutch as it's designed for tiller pilots, wheel pilots, or small power boats (hydraulic). The ACU 150 is rated at 12a and also doesn't have a clutch as it's designed for medium sized boats with hydraulic steering. The ACU200 is rated at 15a and has a clutch.

So, in essence, the differences between the ACU 100 and ACU 150 is the current rating. But, the ACU 150 is designed to be used with a type 1 hydraulic drive, which works with a much bigger ram and has a peak flow rate of almost twice as much as the tiny pump that goes with the ACU100.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
So - twice the price for a slightly bigger relay or power handling electronics. Same brain? Same steering ability? Same inputs?
I don't get the logic! There must be more for your money than this, surely?
The difference between the EV100 and the correct kit is nothing like twice the price, it's only £150. The difference between the EV100 and EV200 also isn't double, but it's the wrong system for your boat.

The EV100 is circa £1350 but not right for your boat
The EV 150 is the correct kit for your boat and is circa £1500

The EV 200 costs circa £2050. This is also the wrong kit for your boat. It is rated at 15a but it also has a clutch control.

nickgebbett

Visit site
The difference between the EV100 and the correct kit is nothing like twice the price, it's only £150. The difference between the EV100 and EV200 also isn't double, but it's the wrong system for your boat.

The EV100 is circa £1350 but not right for your boat
The EV 150 is the correct kit for your boat and is circa £1500

The EV 200 costs circa £2050. This is also the wrong kit for your boat. It is rated at 15a but it also has a clutch control.
Thanks. My current setup appears to have a clutch. Not fully sure but there are connections in the course computer on the clutch output. It is also the case that as soon as I engage auto, the wheel immediately becomes immovable and I would guess this is the clutch activation. It's very difficult to access but the ram has to come off because it's damaged and I'm waiting to get the boat out for annual maintenance to fix it.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks. My current setup appears to have a clutch. Not fully sure but there are connections in the course computer on the clutch output. It is also the case that as soon as I engage auto, the wheel immediately becomes immovable and I would guess this is the clutch activation. It's very difficult to access but the ram has to come off because it's damaged and I'm waiting to get the boat out for annual maintenance to fix it.
Apologies, i missed the fact you have the linear hydraulic drive, in your first post. This system does indeed use the clutch connection, but it's not for a clutch, it's for a bypass valve on the ram.

RogerJolly

Visit site
I've just replaced my faulty P70r (previous generation) with a used P70 (equivalent but no knob).

The old ‘r’ one was always flaky - knob seemed hyperactive, you'd just touch it and get a torrent of bleeps. Then it just stopped booting up.

The knob one is advertised as being more for mobos (than my sailboat). Maybe it's because you need faster and more intuitive course changes going fast (have never seen it explained fully).

Never liked the knob though - would stick in your back when lounging with legs up on the cockpit seats. Maybe that pressure wrecked it. Not missing it.