raw water filter/strainer: where to place??

Half Moon

Visit site
I have a VP 2020 B with a saildrive. Currently no raw water filter. Soooo, where do you place the filter? The water hose runs from the the sea cock at the base of the sail drive to the raw water pump(up hill as it were). How high can the water filter/strainer be placed? Should it be lower than the intake for the pump? I was thinking of mounting it near the lip of the engine box for easy access. But that mount would make the filter higher than the water pump. Any problems with the mount altitude?

Fair winds, Bill :eek:n Half Moon

Stork_III

Visit site
I have a VP 2020 B with a saildrive. Currently no raw water filter. Soooo, where do you place the filter? The water hose runs from the the sea cock at the base of the sail drive to the raw water pump(up hill as it were). How high can the water filter/strainer be placed? Should it be lower than the intake for the pump? I was thinking of mounting it near the lip of the engine box for easy access. But that mount would make the filter higher than the water pump. Any problems with the mount altitude?

Fair winds, Bill :eek:n Half Moon
Mount as high as possible, above water line so it can be cleaned without closing seacock. Inlet to strainer inlet, strainer outlet to pump inlet.