Radio procedure

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I listen casually to channel 16 while working on the boat. Currently in the Bristol Channel, I often hear "Milford Haven Coastguard, Milford Haven Coastguard, aschgcixcvbnxbc Over". The words Milford Haven Coastguard are very easily recognisable even from the rhythm as they are so often heard. The important part of the message is the identity of the sender and is generally a garbled wish mash.

During our radio procedure training, we are taught to speak clearly, slowly and with a slightly raised pitch.

What happened?

Aurai

Visit site
I thought we are meant to use “UK Coastguard” now, though calling a closed station will still get a response, and so an open one also. Lots to learn

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The radio procedure used by the port I was in a while ago was like a comedy show and better entertainment the the local music radio.

I am sure UK is much better then where we were.

RupertW

Visit site
I listen casually to channel 16 while working on the boat. Currently in the Bristol Channel, I often hear "Milford Haven Coastguard, Milford Haven Coastguard, aschgcixcvbnxbc Over". The words Milford Haven Coastguard are very easily recognisable even from the rhythm as they are so often heard. The important part of the message is the identity of the sender and is generally a garbled wish mash.

During our radio procedure training, we are taught to speak clearly, slowly and with a slightly raised pitch.

What happened?
I suspect a lot is in your perception as you recognise and expect Milford Haven Coastgaurd and can hear it clearly in your head even when it’s garbled in your ears. But when the boat name comes through you have no idea whether it’s going to be Angel’s Delight or Don’t Judge the Pencil (both real boats I’ve heard).

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I suspect a lot is in your perception as you recognise and expect Milford Haven Coastgaurd and can hear it clearly in your head even when it’s garbled in your ears. when the boat name comes through you have no idea whether it’s going to be Angel’s Delight or Don’t Judge the Pencil (both real boats I’ve heard).
unless the caller has got a strong and foreign accent. The OP might just be hearing my thick Yorkshire when I'm out on the haven...
i did choose my new boat name to be clear on the vhf... Foxtrot

the spelling is much more confusing though, as the name is written in the phonetic alphabet but the nearest rendering in the romaic alphabet is simply 'F'

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
I think that diction generally is worse today than it ever was. A good proportion of young and even not so young people are accustomed to just jabbering. There is no doubt that RP is the best vehicle for transmitting English, and things are not helped by its decline in recent years, even making allowances for my hearing being less good than formerly. My own diction is not particularly good, but I do make an effort when on the VHF. I generally preface my boat's name with "Yacht", so that the port or whoever has some idea of who I might be.

georgebertie

Visit site
I was told once, a long time ago,that one of the Severn Bridges.....probably the old one,has a repeater transmitter for the Milford Coast Guard. Could you be listening to a more powerful transmission from the bridge and a poor one from the ship...yacht...whateva?
Just a thought.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
I agree with the OP’s assessment of the garble heard on VHF 16. I frequently hear replies like, “Vessel calling Coast Guard Radio, please say vessel name again”. People seem to be speaking more quickly in general conversation than ever before, but this habit does not lend itself to clear communication over marine radio, when the voice may be competing with the sounds of wind and sea.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I was told once, a long time ago,that one of the Severn Bridges.....probably the old one,has a repeater transmitter for the Milford Coast Guard. Could you be listening to a more powerful transmission from the bridge and a poor one from the ship...yacht...whateva?
Just a thought.
I think you are correct about the repeater but the volume from the vessel is ok it is just the diction that is indecipherable. Mind you, my ears don't help!