Radio Checks - at last!

PhillM

Visit site
I’m going to sail from Hamble to Lymington tomorrow but I may anchor on the way. Considering calling Solent CH for a radio and anchor check ?

Plum

Visit site
You could hear Solent CG from the Orwell?
All the UK CG coordination centres are networked and to manage workload a Coastguard in, say, the Solent can be assigned to help manage, say, Humber Coastguard and receive and transmit from the aerials in the Humber sea area from their site in Fareham. It is inevitable that the person who has been calling themselves "Solent Coastguard" for the last 4 days forgets to call themselves Humber Coastguard when they are reassigned. If you are in any doubt as to who to call, just use "UK Coastguard" and see who replies.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Rustyknight

Visit site
Many years ago, on really quiet days I sometimes heard Portland CG calling Solent CG, or 'vice versa' for a radio check. Maybe they just wanted someone to talk to...... ;)

Boathook

Visit site
I’m going to sail from Hamble to Lymington tomorrow but I may anchor on the way. Considering calling Solent CH for a radio and anchor check ?
Don't forget to ask whether the weather is suitable for you to cross the solent. There may be ripples to hinder your progress. ?

Edit.
Years ago I did hear a boat in Yarmouth call the CG as to whether he was OK to go Lymington. CG replied if not sure he should stay in Yarmouth. Forecast was for no wind that day. It was before internet so most boats had vhf on ready for weather forecast. I think boat owner was trying to impress friends on board.

Last edited:

Birdseye

Visit site
They have been suggesting this for some time. The NCI should be the go-to people for a radio check but those who have it ingrained in them to call on 16 still dont change.

I find the NCI like a chat and are very pleasant to deal with.

Since arriving in Ireland we have only heard two calls to the Coastguard for radio check in 3 months.
I very rarely hear them in the bristol channel. Seems to be a solent phenomenon.

deep denial

Visit site
Seems to be a peculiarly British anxiety: worrying about whether one's VHF works.

?
Mine doesn't . Only discovered on a radio check (not ch 16) as was able to receive ok. Also a few years back I checked reception with a marina - all fine. Only later discovered that was only able to broadcast over a very short distance. Just a couple of cautionary tales for those who habitually think that others are stupid or feeble to take any safety precautions

Poignard

Visit site
Mine doesn't . Only discovered on a radio check (not ch 16) as was able to receive ok. Also a few years back I checked reception with a marina - all fine. Only later discovered that was only able to broadcast over a very short distance. Just a couple of cautionary tales for those who habitually think that others are stupid or feeble to take any safety precautions
But how do you account for the disproportionately high number of radio checks requested by Solent boaters?

Do you think that people in other areas are unduly careless about safety?

Daverw

Visit site
Easy to check with dummy load and power meter and antenna with analyser, of course if you have these which luckily I do from my Ham shack

ylop

Visit site
But how do you account for the disproportionately high number of radio checks requested by Solent boaters?

Do you think that people in other areas are unduly careless about safety?
I think at least part of it must be you hear other people doing it so much that you believe it is the normal seaman like thing to do.

michael_w

Visit site
Just before the start of the ARC. Solent Coast guard this is Annoying Git radio check please. Annoying Git you are loud and clear. Routine traffic channel 67.