Racers Vs cruisers

Ballyhoo

Visit site
There is apparently, a long held animosity between sail and power boaters, but is it the same between cruisers and racers?

I was asleep in the aft cabin of my Beneteau first 310 early on Sunday morning, on a pontoon at Ocean Village Southampton, when my boat was hit hard by a sponsorship branded racing boat trying to berth on the next pontoon, in next to no wind a little tide. I was shocked by the arrogance and rudeness of the skipper, he made no apology, and did not offer to give me any ownership or insurance details, when I asked why he had no fenders out when manoeuvring, so badly in close quarters, he said his was a racer not a "Pretty Boat" so he didn't carry any!
(actually this was not true as had put out a couple on the other side of the boat to protect him from the pontoon) he then left without speaking to me, despite my concern that we may have sustained damage not yet seen. I was not only shocked by his total arrogance, but his poor seamanship and ungentlemanly behaviour. I have no company sponsorship, so I have to pay or claim insurance for repairs, all of which comes out of my hard earned money.

When sailing in the Solent I always give way to racers even when I have right of way. When did yacht racing stop being a gentleman's sport and instead become a sport of ill mannered company sponsored thugs.

thecommander

Visit site
Name and shame.
If his sponsors knew how much of a {expletive} he was then perhaps they'd think twice about sticking their logos on his boat.

awol

Visit site
I reached the conclusion a long time ago that there is a small percentage of any population that are total dick-heads. Please don't blame the group you see him as part of whether it is racer, blue eyes, or whatever. He is an individual and has behaved atrociously. Name and shame otherwise he just carries on and does it to others.

lpdsn

Visit site
As Awol says.

Also: quite possible it wasn't his boat so he was maybe nervous about the owner finding out he'd f'd up. It is far more common amongst racers for the owner to ask one of the senior crew to take the boat out or move it or whatever.

flaming

Visit site
Agree with AWOL. No place for that sort of behaviour in sailing, whether racer or cruiser.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
There is apparently, a long held animosity between sail and power boaters, but is it the same between cruisers and racers?

I was asleep in the aft cabin of my Beneteau first 310 early on Sunday morning, on a pontoon at Ocean Village Southampton, when my boat was hit hard by a sponsorship branded racing boat trying to berth on the next pontoon, in next to no wind a little tide. I was shocked by the arrogance and rudeness of the skipper, he made no apology, and did not offer to give me any ownership or insurance details, when I asked why he had no fenders out when manoeuvring, so badly in close quarters, he said his was a racer not a "Pretty Boat" so he didn't carry any!
(actually this was not true as had put out a couple on the other side of the boat to protect him from the pontoon) he then left without speaking to me, despite my concern that we may have sustained damage not yet seen. I was not only shocked by his total arrogance, but his poor seamanship and ungentlemanly behaviour. I have no company sponsorship, so I have to pay or claim insurance for repairs, all of which comes out of my hard earned money.

When sailing in the Solent I always give way to racers even when I have right of way. When did yacht racing stop being a gentleman's sport and instead become a sport of ill mannered company sponsored thugs.

No excusing the skippers behaviour ..... but can I ask why you didn't have fenders out? I always have fenders out on both sides when in the marina or at anchor for exactly this reason.

Richard

lpdsn

Visit site
No excusing the skippers behaviour ..... but can I ask why you didn't have fenders out? I always have fenders out on both sides when in the marina or at anchor for exactly this reason.

Richard

It's quite common to race with the minimum number of fenders (or even no fenders), but usually a high standard of boat handling and lots of reserve crew means it isn't a problem.

dancrane

Visit site
When in the Solent I give way to racers even when I have right of way. When did racing stop being a gentleman's sport and instead, a sport of ill-mannered company sponsored thugs?

Definitely name the bar-steward.

It's no different from a car-parking prang.

Depressing, how often one sees racers' concentrated pursuit of success in a contest, temporarily eclipsing their instinctive shore-taught courtesy.

Possibly such types are simply unmitigated four-letter men, afloat and ashore, but I wouldn't think they are more numerous in the racing scene than elsewhere.

tatali0n

www.scapegoatsanon.co.uk
I always thought it was common practice for a rafting boat to fender, plus to stop other incoming boats fenders getting tangled in yours.

If my boat is moored anywhere another boat might come into contact with me, I put fenders all around rather than rely on the other guy putting suitable fenders out himself. I find people have differing opinions as to what measures as adequate when it comes to fendering so I prefer to set my own. I should add that I don't mean this as any reflection on the OP, it sucks to have somebody hit you.

However, this isn't a question of racers vs cruisers as far as I can see. I race and I cruise and know lots of very fine folk in each camp and just as frequently in both. I've also come across the odd jerk in each.

If the guy that crashed the OP is one of the latter, as appears to be the case from the circumstances described, I expect he'd be the same whether he was racing, cruising or just driving his car.

Angele

Visit site
I always thought it was common practice for a rafting boat to fender, plus to stop other incoming boats fenders getting tangled in yours.

Doesn't sound to me as if this was rafting. But rather another boat coming into an adjacent finger berth. That said, I always have fenders on both sides, regardless of the berthing arrangement in any marina.

To the OP. Name and shame the culprit, the boat and his/its sponsor.

Skylark

Visit site
As described by the OP, the behaviour of the helmsman is not acceptable and, like many posters, I believe there is an obligation to not let it pass unchallenged. I don't think I'd "name and shame" on here but I'd definitely report the issue in writing to the sponsor and/or charter company. If it was "hit hard" (where?) it may indeed have sustained some damage and you may have need to contact his insurer.

Bobc

Visit site
As described by the OP, the behaviour of the helmsman is not acceptable and, like many posters, I believe there is an obligation to not let it pass unchallenged. I don't think I'd "name and shame" on here but I'd definitely report the issue in writing to the sponsor and/or charter company. If it was "hit hard" (where?) it may indeed have sustained some damage and you may have need to contact his insurer.

I think he should name the boat, so that if any of us see it, we can keep well clear.

Topcat47

Visit site
In my club marina, many boats are doubled up. If I'm an inside boat, I always fender up both sides, but if I"m an outside boat I don't as the extra foot or so taken up by additional fendering reduces the passage between boats for anyone else coming in (our pontoons ate around 90' long). IF anyone bangs another boat they are expected to "fess up" and pass on insurance details. It's common courtesy, if nothing else. Some boaters aren't gentlemen; not just racers.

Ballyhoo

Visit site
I should point out that we were not rafted, he collided with me whilst he was trying to get to the adjacent pontoon. I take the point about my fenders, but surely if you can't safely handle a boat in a marina, with no wind or tide without crashing into people, he needs to have a think about his abilities and the affect on other people.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I should point out that we were not rafted, he collided with me whilst he was trying to get to the adjacent pontoon. I take the point about my fenders, but surely if you can't safely handle a boat in a marina, with no wind or tide without crashing into people, he needs to have a think about his abilities and the affect on other people.

Whilst that is all true, you are never going to be able to do anything about the idiots in a boat brigade. What you can do is always put fenders out. There's no downside other than the semi-fictional "tangled fenders". I've seen fenders saving boat damage in marinas and anchorages many times but I've never seen a tangled fender.

Richard